Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 10-01-20, 03:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
What black hose did you get? Was it EK by any chance? The reason I ask is because I have that stuff in 3/8 5/8, and it's a very difficult fit with some fittings. I couldn't put Bitspower collars on when using EK tube in 3/8 5/8 (because of the finer thread I suspect). But XSPC fittings were fine, as were Darkside ones, but those both have much thicker threads on the collars. FYI!
Nope. Basically none of them make black hose in this size any more. The fittings, IIRC, are 10/8. However, it's wiser to use 11/7 which works fine and seals very snugly.

Due to the size (the fittings cost me 99p each ffs) the hose options are very limited now. I bet it hasn't improved since last year.

So I order 3m from Ebay. apparently 10 8. Arrives and it's more like 9/8.5. It would have leaked for sure. So I got a refund. Ordered some more, same deal. Just really, really crap. Kinked as soon as you looked at it.

So I ordered 10m from Amazon and it was from China. IIRC it was about £12 which I was happy to pay (one of them times where I don't care how much it costs I just want it right FFS !!) and yeah, it's 11/7 alright and looks lovely.

So I saved it for a rainy day

Oh and I can categorically say that huge hose makes 0 difference either. I've had 19mm that you could use as a cosh and it's impossible to work with and makes 0 degrees difference.

I don't want a rig based on vanity. I'm far more about function, and ease of working on. Hence no hard tubes.

I'm also going to whack this thing in my main rig too.

Quite simply because it's really, really fast.

Old 10-01-20, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
What black hose did you get? Was it EK by any chance? The reason I ask is because I have that stuff in 3/8 5/8, and it's a very difficult fit with some fittings. I couldn't put Bitspower collars on when using EK tube in 3/8 5/8 (because of the finer thread I suspect). But XSPC fittings were fine, as were Darkside ones, but those both have much thicker threads on the collars. FYI!
I was going to grab the EK black tubing and re-use most of my bitspower compression fittings. You say it's a difficult fit, but does it eventually fit? Maybe warming the hose up a bit would help?

Old 10-01-20, 03:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Top tip guys. This sounds kinda gross but it works really well.

Cut your hose to the right length. Make sure it fits from point to point. Then basically stick the ends in your mouth and wet the outside of the tube. It's so easy to do up the fittings tight with a bit of lube. Like I say it sounds gross but it totally works. Without that method I'd never have been able to do up my 19mm fittings over that XSPC hose. It was literally ripping skin from my fingers half way down.

I wouldn't know what else to use as lube either. Something like windex? IDK, spit is cheaper

PS fixing it now. My god damn phone effing changes every bloody word I prod FFS.

Old 10-01-20, 03:39 PM

LOL, good to know. Maybe a little KY would work? I'd imagine it would get a little messy though.

Old 10-01-20, 03:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Ky dries, but gets very slippery if you wet it again. You have to like wash it off.

Don't ask me how I know that, I'd probably tell you lmao.

But yeah, tight metal on sticky rubber just jams, you mustn't go in dry.

Old 10-01-20, 04:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
I was going to grab the EK black tubing and re-use most of my bitspower compression fittings. You say it's a difficult fit, but does it eventually fit? Maybe warming the hose up a bit would help?
The hose itself will fit, but the collars are *very* tight with Bitspower (at least in size 3/8 5/8). Due to the fine collar threads, they wouldn't 'catch' so I couldn't screw them down. They would slide up the tube with some difficulty, but wouldn't 'catch' on the threads. The tube would fit tight as hell tough, heck you wouldn't even NEED the collars. But of course, that would look 'off'.

Old 10-01-20, 05:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Can't wait to see some results! Make sure you get the UEFI/microcode updated right away. TR is a bear, I've had many issues with hard locks, random reboots, poor performance etc. On windows 10 1809 it was rock solid even on the older UEFI versions, but after updating to 1903 I was having to reboot daily, sometimes multiple times a day. After the updates though it is stable again. Haven't updated to 1909 yet.

I'm running the ASRock X399 Taichi.
Odd, I've been running a 1920x on the original gigabyte x399 aorus board from 2017 to now through all the versions of windows 10 without an issue.

Old 10-01-20, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
Odd, I've been running a 1920x on the original gigabyte x399 aorus board from 2017 to now through all the versions of windows 10 without an issue.
I'm running a 1920x as well. It's probably this board. I have had nothing, but bad luck with ASRock products over the years.

Old 10-01-20, 07:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I'm running a 1920x as well. It's probably this board. I have had nothing, but bad luck with ASRock products over the years.
Nah, seems like luck. My buddy had loooooads of crap with his Zenith.

There are tons more factors than just the CPU and board really. Memory, GPUs, USB stuff.

Old 10-01-20, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nah, seems like luck. My buddy had loooooads of crap with his Zenith.

There are tons more factors than just the CPU and board really. Memory, GPUs, USB stuff.
That's true. My last issue with ASRock was a B350 board I had in my home server. It was great for about a year, maybe a reboot here or there. After that time though, I couldn't keep it stable for more than a few days. Updated all drivers, firmware etc. Still would lock up every few days.

I swapped the board for a Gigabyte B450 board, re-used all other hardware, didn't even reload the OS. It's been stable ever since.