Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 04-06-14, 10:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
I hate to do it, having been burned by cheaper stuff.. cheaper case would save what.. $15? and the MB.. another $25? not worth it imo

as far as the GPU , isnt the 280x a pretty good gpu? i mean.. not much higher you can go without spending a lot more? Thanks!
I clicked the link earlier and it had an H100i, but with a 270x in it. This setup is already better. I know that it's easy to spend another person's money, but to your friend every little bit may help?

The easiest thing for everyone is if your friend signed up here and posted a thread (or used this one) to tell the guys here exactly what he wants and for his maximum budget. We can then tell him what kind hardware he's going to want/need and why, much easier.

I came up with this parts list. Staying within the $1k budget (by two cents), I managed to get mainly the same sort of specifications as the build you had posted earlier but also fit in an SSD.

It doens't feature aftermarket CPU cooling, but the CPU is locked anyway (really, what are the chances of him overclocking?). Even if he does want to overclock, he can spend another 20 on the 4670k, run it with the stock cooler for the time being and upgrade that later, as it's an easy upgrade anyway. For the locked CPU, the stock cooler will suffice but if he wants extra looks/silence in the future then, as said, this is easy to replace.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4G DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($295.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $999.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 04-06-14, 01:25 PM

this will be a gaming rig. he wants to be able to basically run any game currently out.
I will let him know his choices (I like your picks as well)

Thanks again everyone! love this place