Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 30-09-20, 12:16 PM
News Guru

CD Projekt Red responds to "mandatory crunch" allegations

Six-day working weeks are reportedly mandatory.

Read more about CD Projekt Red's response to "mandatory crunch" allegations.

Old 30-09-20, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

This is pretty typical for gaming, as people are fairly passionate about video games. For established companies there's no shortage of applicants and start-up companies are fairly unstable and most end up failing.

Developers would get paid and treated much better writing some boring business code. Though artists and especially game designers don't have such an abundance of good alternatives.
Old 30-09-20, 01:20 PM

Anyone thinks they would deliver first-class game working 3 days a week, 5 hours a day?
Old 30-09-20, 02:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchg View Post
Anyone thinks they would deliver first-class game working 3 days a week, 5 hours a day?
Well it's been studied that 6 hours, 5 days a week without interruptions other than a lunch break is very productive.
I have a pretty unpredictable schedule of weekend work, very long days and then easier weeks with normal workdays - I don't stay productive for 10+ hours let me say that.

No need to take it to extremes, there's alternatives between 3*5 hours and 6*10 hours.
Old 30-09-20, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Well it's been studied that 6 hours, 5 days a week without interruptions other than a lunch break is very productive.
I have a pretty unpredictable schedule of weekend work, very long days and then easier weeks with normal workdays - I don't stay productive for 10+ hours let me say that.

No need to take it to extremes, there's alternatives between 3*5 hours and 6*10 hours.
My Company has also proven that 4 day work weeks are more efficient than 5day 9-5 jobs. Moral, productivity etc are all far higher.
Old 30-09-20, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

From working 12 hours 6 days for the most of my working life and a few 16 hours maybe I should got into game making it seems better hours
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 30-09-20, 05:03 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:

The reason these studies show this is because people have become very self entitled and severely lazy.

I have routinely worked 12+ hour days for 6 days of the week, I'm still here, It didn't kill me, It didn't cause me stress, I got paid for my time, There are very few jobs where you can go up to the boss or organiser and say "I only want to work 6 hours today for a total of 3 days a week" well good luck with that as you're about to be fired and replaced, Even with that aside you'd have to have a very high paying job to only work 3-4 days per week which for 99% of the population is simply not feasible.

Old 30-09-20, 05:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The reason these studies show this is because people have become very self entitled and severely lazy.

I have routinely worked 12+ hour days for 6 days of the week, I'm still here, It didn't kill me, It didn't cause me stress, I got paid for my time, There are very few jobs where you can go up to the boss or organiser and say "I only want to work 6 hours today for a total of 3 days a week" well good luck with that as you're about to be fired and replaced, Even with that aside you'd have to have a very high paying job to only work 3-4 days per week which for 99% of the population is simply not feasible.
Depends on the job, something like programming can't be done effectively without full focus, and you can't maintain that for longer than a few hours a day.
Something you can zone out to like warehouse work etc, sure, why not. But quite a few people who have bragged about working long hours have also been fairly slow and inefficient while working, with lots of time spent chatting, chugging coffee and so forth.
Old 30-09-20, 06:06 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Depends on the job, something like programming can't be done effectively without full focus, and you can't maintain that for longer than a few hours a day.
Something you can zone out to like warehouse work etc, sure, why not. But quite a few people who have bragged about working long hours have also been fairly slow and inefficient while working, with lots of time spent chatting, chugging coffee and so forth.

That's usually office workers, When I used to go round to different offices installing computers, Replacing equipment, Printers etc... you would see them making every excuse to not work, Drink coffee, Walking slowly to and from the toilet XD

Old 30-09-20, 06:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
You're right about programming jobs. It requires intense focus and it's constantly a problem solving puzzle. It's a very mentally taxing profession. It's also why many tech companies offer free food, gyms, or even beer/whiskey/etc around the clock for free. It's to relax and keep you mentally healthy. That's how it is in the US at least. You may end up working longer hours with more breaks but in the long run you end up providing more useful labor than a quick one month burn out. Which is very easy to do even if you love doing it.