OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Post A Picture of Your Last Purchase (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=51377)

MrKambo 11-04-13 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulstung (Post 632343)
I'll be interested in that review, I'm also a big HTC fan, but am thinking about a change to the S4 at the end of the month. I'm lucky my current contract ends the day of the S4's release.

I don't feel the S4 counts as a premium product as its plastic, also I have small hands so the 5" screen does me no justice

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekaX (Post 632378)
goin gfrom an iphone 5 to an HTC one is like switching from a 7950 to a 670. kinda pointless. even though apple sucks, so that would be a reason.

It's not pointless at all, it's all about the experience the OS you're using delivers, iOS is bloody amazing at what it does, it's a simple one touch type system, which I love for the simplicity!

Android on the hand is for the tinker' and modder in us! Gives us the opportunity to have a unique experience which we have customised for ourself!

The hardware is pretty evenly matched, I don't game on my portable devices, I have pc Xbox and ps3 for that, I just like playing with gadgets ill try anything and everything

SeekaX 11-04-13 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632403)
I don't feel the S4 counts as a premium product as its plastic, also I have small hands so the 5" screen does me no justice

It's not pointless at all, it's all about the experience the OS you're using delivers, iOS is bloody amazing at what it does, it's a simple one touch type system, which I love for the simplicity!

Android on the hand is for the tinker' and modder in us! Gives us the opportunity to have a unique experience which we have customised for ourself!

The hardware is pretty evenly matched, I don't game on my portable devices, I have pc Xbox and ps3 for that, I just like playing with gadgets ill try anything and everything

meh smartphones always seemed like a waste of money to me. for what they cost you can pretty much not do a whole lot with them. i'm still using my nokia xpressmusic 5800, terrible phone but it does fine at what i need it for. sms, music and searching the web. i also prefer the old touchscreens, i hate it that new phones react to freaking everything.
/edit
i just like to have some response when i click something. for me the new touchscreens are as annoying as a mouse with touchpads as buttons.

SieB 11-04-13 04:19 PM

I wonder what this could be :ph34r:

http://i.imgur.com/CQs0QI8l.jpg

It's a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD!! Finally, part of the SSD master race :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/rN6mR7Pl.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I only have the camera on my phone.

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 07:48 AM

Talking about smartphones, I am eagerly awaiting news of a new Nexus device :D Love my Nexus 4 but I would love a 5" screen and a better camera.

MrKambo 12-04-13 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seumasbeathan (Post 632658)
Talking about smartphones, I am eagerly awaiting news of a new Nexus device :D Love my Nexus 4 but I would love a 5" screen and a better camera.

didnt like the Nexus, i think it was well underspec'd and the screen calibration was quite horrific!

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 08:03 AM

Underspec'd? :S It is one of the most powerful smartphones you can get and is nearly half the price of all the others. How is that underspeced? :L

MrKambo 12-04-13 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seumasbeathan (Post 632660)
Underspec'd? :S It is one of the most powerful smartphones you can get and is nearly half the price of all the others. How is that underspeced? :L

it used a generation old processor, but for a Google flagship device it should have shipped with a LTE/4G compatible radio

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 08:22 AM

Seeing as it was released in October and used the best Snapdragon processor available at the time I don't see how it is a generation old?

Chris230291 12-04-13 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632403)

I'm always tinkering and modding my iPhone 5. Why cant you be a tinker' on iOS :S haha

If it wasn't for the fact Apples ecosystem is awesome, and that my iPhone is an iPod (not a zune, not some other tacky generic music player, an IPOD!) i would have to probably go with a HTC device. They're the only other company that doesn't appear to be making tacky . Other than Nokia i suppose... :/

I look forward to a review. Do a video one, no one likes words lol

@ Samsung mentioner: Samsung make cheap . They squeeze as much money as possible out of their hardware so you end up with a cheap and tacky device that only boasts good specs.

Chris230291 12-04-13 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632661)
it used a generation old processor, but for a Google flagship device it should have shipped with a LTE/4G compatible radio

Thats because battery life already wasn't great, so they had to leave it out. Or so i read.

MrKambo 12-04-13 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632677)
I'm always tinkering and modding my iPhone 5. Why cant you be a tinker' on iOS :S haha

If it wasn't for the fact Apples ecosystem is awesome, and that my iPhone is an iPod (not a zune, not some other tacky generic music player, an IPOD!) i would have to probably go with a HTC device. They're the only other company that doesn't appear to be making tacky . Other than Nokia i suppose... :/

I look forward to a review. Do a video one, no one likes words lol

@ Samsung mentioner: Samsung make cheap . They squeeze as much money as possible out of their hardware so you end up with a cheap and tacky device that only boasts good specs.

I had my iPhone and other products jailbroken for a while but obviously some apps refuse to work in my case Barclays mobile banking app, that's one of my most used apps so couldn't leave it jailbroken

I may do a video review, ill see if I can get a hold of a decent 1080p camcorder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632679)
Thats because battery life already wasn't great, so they had to leave it out. Or so i read.

Must be the reason

Chris230291 12-04-13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632680)
I had my iPhone and other products jailbroken for a while but obviously some apps refuse to work in my case Barclays mobile banking app, that's one of my most used apps so couldn't leave it jailbroken

I may do a video review, ill see if I can get a hold of a decent 1080p camcorder

Must be the reason

Arh right. Did you try xCon? It's supposed to bypass the JB detection that apps like the one you mentioned use.

Never had the need for it myself but it's supposed to work.

MrKambo 12-04-13 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632682)
Arh right. Did you try xCon? It's supposed to bypass the JB detection that apps like the one you mentioned use.

Never had the need for it myself but it's supposed to work.

Yeah it didn't work, Barclays jailbreak detection is pretty good! Tried every possible fix I could find, none of them worked

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632679)

Battery life isn't that bad, about the same as any other powerful smartphone, I do have to admit that the Nexus would have been better with 4G, but when it's almost half the price of an iPhone 5 or S3 you can't really complain :P

Chris230291 12-04-13 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632684)
Yeah it didn't work, Barclays jailbreak detection is pretty good! Tried every possible fix I could find, none of them worked

Did you message the developer? Pretty sure it's one of those things where if you find an app that uses some form of detection, you need to notify the dev for an update. Of course, some apps are compatible by chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seumasbeathan (Post 632685)
Battery life isn't that bad, about the same as any other powerful smartphone, I do have to admit that the Nexus would have been better with 4G, but when it's almost half the price of an iPhone 5 or S3 you can't really complain :P

Who still buys their handsets? :P

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632689)

Who still buys their handsets? :P

What? The Nexus? Quite a lot of people, hence why there is still issues with production

Chris230291 12-04-13 11:46 AM

No i mean any handset.
You get one for <100 or even free on contract.

iBeInspire 12-04-13 11:58 AM

New desk from IKEA; only desk I could find that was 110cm wide - My room's tiny ^_^http://s24.postimg.org/xa7s0slad/IMAG0803.jpg

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632695)
No i mean any handset.
You get one for <100 or even free on contract.

It's much cheaper to get the Nexus 4 for dead cheap and then get a sim only deal.

MrKambo 12-04-13 12:19 PM

i buy all my handsets, its cheaper ;)

Chris230291 12-04-13 12:52 PM

It's cheaper depending on what deal you get but you don't get as much for your money.

I pay 35 a month and have unlimited data, calls and texts.
I had to pay 70 for my iPhone 5 because i opted for the 32GB version.

When i was on a sim only deal, i was spending 15 (might have been 20) a month for 1GB of data, 600 mins and unlimited texts. But then id have to pay 600 for the handset.

On contract 910
Sim only + handset 960

So cheaper and i get more for my money.

MrKambo 12-04-13 12:55 PM

for me its allways worked out cheaper

i have a rolling contract which ive had since i was 19, i pay 35 a month for unlimited everything (fair usage policy applies) then i just buy my handsets whenever i want

Iphone 4 was 499
Iphone 4S was 499
Iphone 5 was 600
HTC is 529

all 32GB capacity except the 4 which was 16GB

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632721)
It's cheaper depending on what deal you get but you don't get as much for your money.

I pay 35 a month and have unlimited data, calls and texts.
I had to pay 70 for my iPhone 5 because i opted for the 32GB version.

When i was on a sim only deal, i was spending 15 (might have been 20) a month for 1GB of data, 600 mins and unlimited texts. But then id have to pay 600 for the handset.

On contract 910
Sim only + handset 960

So cheaper and i get more for my money.

You could have gotten the Nexus 4, a better phone for just 279 ;)

Tripp 12-04-13 12:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 5685

:D new stuff to play with later and over the next year or so

Chris230291 12-04-13 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 632723)
for me its allways worked out cheaper

i have a rolling contract which ive had since i was 19, i pay 35 a month for unlimited everything (fair usage policy applies) then i just buy my handsets whenever i want

Iphone 4 was 499
Iphone 4S was 499
Iphone 5 was 600
HTC is 529

all 32GB capacity except the 4 which was 16GB

Can i ask how that works out cheaper?
You are paying >400 more than i am for the same service. Or have i made a mistake?

"better phone" LOL :P

MrKambo 12-04-13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632731)
Can i ask how that works out cheaper?
You are paying >400 more than i am for the same service. Or have i made a mistake?

The handset costs are one off, from retailer sim free, and im not tied into lengthy contracts the 35 a month is a rolling contract, if a better deals comes up i can switch no problem and it doesnt effect anything

when you get a handset via contract, its always locked and you have to pay the entire contract out before requesting a unlock or pay an extra fee

as you add up the costs, it works out cheaper (in my case) to purchase my handsets sim free and have a rolling monthly contract, which doesn't tie me to anything

Chris230291 12-04-13 01:47 PM

You're just scared of commitment lol

MrKambo 12-04-13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632737)
You're just scared of commitment lol

funny you should say that, my last 3 ex's told me the same thing....then i never saw them again :confused:

Chris230291 12-04-13 01:51 PM

Haha.

TheySt0leMyName 12-04-13 01:53 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps41540918.jpg
And not pictured is the reason there's nothing to put that coolant in. Tickets to see Black Sabbath.

Also is it just me or are those SP fans pretty loud even with the voltage reducer on?

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris230291 (Post 632731)

Now now, the Nexus 4 is hands down a much better phone than the iPhone 5

Chris230291 12-04-13 02:51 PM

Really? You think?
I didn't think much of it. Then again I'm not a fan of Android.

seumasbeathan 12-04-13 03:06 PM

Well actually hands down is a bit unfair but in terms of hardware it is far more powerful and personally I am a fan of Android over IOS

MrKambo 13-04-13 12:55 PM

Its Saturday so done my weekly shopping and got this

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc73a61a.jpg

airdeano 13-04-13 06:57 PM

Uhhh Ohhh.....

during a parts gather mission i found this in my dungeon:

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/1745/2...sp120pe003.JPG

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/1935/2...sp120pe008.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/7766/2...sp120pe001.jpg

the rest will prolly be here friday.

WillSK 13-04-13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdeano (Post 633168)

So awesome! I am determined to get into water cooling one day

Josh Weston 13-04-13 07:52 PM

Haven't got a picture, but I bought my first legal pint earlier this week. And then a few dozen more.
I've only just really recovered -sigh-

airdeano 13-04-13 07:55 PM

^5 joshie.. so how bad legally smashed did you get? got pictures?

MrKambo 13-04-13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdeano (Post 633192)
^5 joshie.. so how bad legally smashed did you get? got pictures?

agree i wanna see photos, also a screenshot of all the drunk texts sent....and there has to be atleast one naked photo of someone! not a night out otherwise lol

Josh Weston 13-04-13 08:01 PM

Went out clubbing until around 4am, but I remember nothing after 00:30. Nightmare.

This is the only semi-respectable photo that i'm willing to post up here from the start of the night.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...39424821_n.jpg

I think I rocked the pink sash and tiara rather well.

It turns out that random strangers will buy you drinks if it's your birthday, something that I never knew before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKambo (Post 633194)
agree i wanna see photos, also a screenshot of all the drunk texts sent....and there has to be atleast one naked photo of someone! not a night out otherwise lol

Haha, there are! They're just not ever seeing the light of social-media day!
I also have a bunch of 'Notes' on my iPhone, as it was the only way that my friends and I could coherently communicate. I don't remember writing half of them, but it turns out I got punched by some randomer. Wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the notes :p

Edit:
I suppose this photo's not too bad:
http://i.imgur.com/NyZqq6c.jpg

I don't know why he started taking his shirt off but damn it, it made me drink more.
You'll also see that i'm developing a beer belly already, but I still have plenty more work to put into it.