Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-06-19, 09:41 AM
News Guru

AMD details their Radeon Ray Tracing Vision with RDNA

AMD will deliver ray tracing when the time is right.

Read more about Radeon's RDNA Ray Tracing vision.

Old 11-06-19, 01:12 PM

I have to renew my RX 480 for Cyberpunk 2077 release. I bet I will get a RTX 2070 super by that date if AMD doesn't release their RT GPU.
Old 11-06-19, 05:30 PM
Resident Newb

The only part of RT I like the look of is the reflections on metal, Water, Glass etc... not too bothered about accurate shadows, Ambient occlusion etc...

Old 11-06-19, 10:11 PM
AMD Enthusiast

The time is next year. When 2077 comes out. Hope they got something by then
Old 12-06-19, 07:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Well if AMD pull it off and can do some trickery like Crytek did, I don't care how Ray tracing is pulled off if its real time or fake. As long as I can enjoy 2077 with all the bells and whistles then great.

Also AMD could force Nvidia to be more competitive. Its worked for Intel. I know people say this time and time again. I know for a fact AMD can never bring out a giant killer flagship that will dominate Nvidia, but for those who always buy flagship models, it can help improve price v performance if they did go for the next RTX card.
Old 12-06-19, 11:20 AM
OC3D Elite

I think there's definitely going to be a big die Navi by the first few months of next year but I'd say it's up in the air whether they'd bring RTRT with it given their previous comments of wanting it across the stack. But then I'd definitely expect PC RTRT cards before the consoles set for the end of next year, by that point they must have shipping silicon that still performs well in ~30-40CU configurations so they could roll it out across the stack, it's just whether it'll come in their next top end die refresh or mainstream die refresh first that dictates it. Logic says the high end cards should get it first due to the hit but then their release schedule and past comments say otherwise imo, could be this time next year at least if so.
Old 12-06-19, 05:11 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The time is next year. When 2077 comes out. Hope they got something by then

My only concern is that Ngreedia may have some deal in place that doesn't let any other vendors use RT in these specific titles, I wouldn't put it passed them.

Old 12-06-19, 05:47 PM
AMD Enthusiast

If they are using DXR it wouldn't matter as it's a 3rd party from MS and both have access to it. Now that doesn't mean they won't have specific optimizations for Nvidia, as they should. They are the only RT product available for the foreseeable future.
Old 14-06-19, 02:08 PM
OC3D Elite

After looking at the more detailed slides from AMD on the RDNA architecture, it seems like a huge amount of work went into reducing the architectures reliance on high memory bandwidth(Particularly for gaming/rasterisation workloads) with DCC now used across the board. This probably won't have much bearing on the 5700 cards in any realistic use case but for APUs this would be a godsend, while for 64CU parts it should make a 384-bit GDDR6 bus viable, allowing them to comfortably compete in the high end gaming segment without the pricing & supply woes of HBM again.

I don't expect them to abandon HBM entirely though, still many workloads where it's very useful and with Navi die sizes and other changes to RDNA regarding overall layout & internal bandwidth & latency so far I doubt 64CU's is likely to remain their limit once EUV matures.
Old 14-06-19, 05:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

They also had a slide talking about they made it less compute oriented and focused more on well... Everything to do with gaming.