Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-05-19, 08:23 AM
News Guru

Sapphire Rep spills the beans on AMD's Radeon Navi Lineup

No Ray Tracing Support?

Read more about the Sapphire rep that spilt the beans on Radeon's Navi graphics cards.

Old 21-05-19, 08:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Why do I get a feeling Navi is just a shrunken 390/X? Rather than a new gen?

I already know it's going to be hot and use loads of power too, given how far behind they are.

Old 21-05-19, 08:37 AM
Resident Newb

Good to know the R7 will remain their top card for the time being, Gives those of us who bought it a little longer before it's replaced
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 21-05-19, 08:45 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Why do I get a feeling Navi is just a shrunken 390/X? Rather than a new gen?

I already know it's going to be hot and use loads of power too, given how far behind they are.
This will be a new gen, I don't know where this shrunken 390 idea comes from... I really hope you mean in a thermal and power sense, rather than a physical sense. This will be a new gen with post-Vega tech, not some 7nm rehash.

TBH, what AMD needs is a "Maxwell moment", an architecture which (like Maxwell) dramatically increases their performance/watt and opens the door to better mobile performance.

Nvidia's focus on mobile may not have gotten them many design wins in the phone/tablet market, well... I guess they got the Switch eventually, but the work did yeild them with a more power efficient architecture than Radeon, something that has placed AMD on the back foot ever since.
Old 21-05-19, 08:47 AM
OC3D Elite

So it replaces the 56 and 64 almost to a tee, runs on inferior memory (without double checking the exact speeds) costs less to make and costs more.

/slow clap. Yeah AMD, woo! Rock on.

You can get a 56 brand new as of today with two games for £226.

Old 21-05-19, 08:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
This will be a new gen, I don't know where this shrunken 390 idea comes from... I really hope you mean in a thermal and power sense, rather than a physical sense. This will be a new gen with post-Vega tech, not some 7nm rehash.

TBH, what AMD needs is a "Maxwell moment", an architecture which (like Maxwell) dramatically increases their performance/watt and opens the door to better mobile performance.

Nvidia's focus on mobile may not have gotten them many design wins in the phone/tablet market, well... I guess they got the Switch eventually, but the work did yeild them with a more power efficient architecture than Radeon, something that has placed AMD on the back foot ever since.
Apols if this is a two poster as I'm on phone. No RT, looks like it's on GCN still and no HBM is what makes me think it's not a new gen.

Any performance per watt etc will go up in smoke because they are behind. So we already know that just to get near NVIDIA they are going to have to clock balls meaning there won't be anything left in it for us. If you were in doubt look at the power connectors we saw on the PCB leak.

Meh. Just, meh.

Old 21-05-19, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I'll just get a new console then. PC gaming can go screw itself if this is the new standard pricing model for GPU's.
Old 21-05-19, 09:18 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Apols if this is a two poster as I'm on phone. No RT, looks like it's on GCN still and no HBM is what makes me think it's not a new gen.

Any performance per watt etc will go up in smoke because they are behind. So we already know that just to get near NVIDIA they are going to have to clock balls meaning there won't be anything left in it for us. If you were in doubt look at the power connectors we saw on the PCB leak.

Meh. Just, meh.
It will be GDDR6, which is new. HBM is a great standard, but too costly. GDDR6 will get the bandwidth AMD needs without the manufacturing headaches. If AMD went for HBM again I could see more than a few posters complain about it costing too much.

I'll also add that better memory performance can also be provided with better memory compression, which is an area that AMD needs to work on. As always, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As far as power goes, it is not uncommon for power connectors to be overkill on a reference/test PCB.

The Radeon VII uses the same power config and we should therefore not expect power consumption to be higher than that, given the rumoured pricing and performance levels of Navi. There is also the chance that the PCB design will change, as early RTX 2080 Ti prototype boards were pictured with three 8-pin connectors.

I'm not saying that Navi will be more efficient than Nvidia, just that the 8+8 pin power config on the early PCB doesn't necessarily mean anything. Test boards are often overkill because they are designed to test a wide range of power envelopes.
Old 21-05-19, 09:36 AM
OC3D Elite

So basically it comes down to it being easier and cheaper for AMD. For more money *confused face*. Do they not realise the prices of their own cards right now?

Also $399 for a 2060 rival costs the same as the 2060 yet no RT. And I thought NVIDIA were a rip off.

Hopefully it will make more sense in the light of day, as right now nothing about it makes sense. The only leaks I've seen that did make sense were the ones with the uber low prices. Not $399 and most certainly not $499.

Old 21-05-19, 09:40 AM
OC3D Elite

This will be an increase in memory bandwidth over RX Vega64 if using 16Gbps GDDR6, or it'll slot between V56 and V64 if 14Gbps.

From everything we've seen so far this has consistently looked like an RTX2070 competitor for months, all they have to do is pull off some reasonable pricing and it will be a strong card really. Remember, this is the same memory & power config as the RTX2080 & 2070. For 1440p and 4K this will probably be a long way ahead of a 2060.