Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-03-19, 01:30 PM
News Guru

Nvidia promises 40% Performance Boost in Anthem through DLSS

But does it look better or worse?

Read more about Nvidia promising up to a 40% performance boost in Anthem though DLSS.

Old 26-03-19, 01:41 PM

Thumbs down

What!!! I can't use DLSS on my 2080ti / 1440p monitor setup.....
Old 26-03-19, 01:44 PM
OC3D Elite

I guess you could force the output to 4K and then let it downsample naturally? Must be settings in NVidia control panel to force that(Or I guess in most modern games if you just add the resolution option for your monitor)? Though not sure how worthwhile that would be image quality or performance wise.
Old 26-03-19, 01:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I guess you could force the output to 4K and then let it downsample naturally? Must be settings in NVidia control panel to force that? Though not sure how worthwhile that would be image quality or performance wise.
Dont think so in the gui. But for those experienced with Nvinspector, im sure there are parameters there to configure this.
Old 26-03-19, 06:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Getting a bit fed up with Ray Tracing and DLSS as they offer very little compared to the extra cost involved with the cards.

Ray Tracing does not offer a game changing experience and is often hardly noticed.

DLSS offers higher fps but the same can be achieved more or less by turning other settings down.

In light of the above would I still have bought my RTX cards, of course I would as they are about 30% faster than Pascal.

Having said that in life there are priorities far more important than gaming and those are what most people would rather spend their money on.

Turing architecture -
Fast cards.
Gimmicky features like RTX and DLSS.
Very overpriced and terrible value.

NVidia please don't release another crap architecture like Turing again.

Even if NVidia had released a cut down Volta architecture for gaming it would have been both faster and cheaper than Turing, what a joke.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 26-03-19, 07:07 PM
AMD Enthusiast

They offer very little now because its new software. Give it time and it'll improve.
Ai isn't going anyway, it'll only get better. But it sure as hell better not get more expensive but being as greedy as Nvidia is, it will probably get more expensive.
Old 26-03-19, 07:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They offer very little now because its new software. Give it time and it'll improve.
Ai isn't going anyway, it'll only get better. But it sure as hell better not get more expensive but being as greedy as Nvidia is, it will probably get more expensive.
To make it work better NVidia have to add more transistors to their chips which will increase the price.

The reason things like Ray Tracing are not that good is NVidia are asking too much of the node the Turing cards are on which means very large expensive chips.

I very much doubt that Ray Tracing will get much better for Turing as we are already nearly 6 months into the Turing architecture and in another 6 months we will be looking at its successor.

NVidia have made a total mess of Ray Tracing on Turing and it is their responsibility and failure that there is not adequate numbers of games that can run all the features of RT on the cards. For this NVidia should be heavily criticised not the software companies who were forced to deal with inadequate hardware that can not properly use Ray Tracing. Only when people really criticise NVidia for this mess both with their wallets and their opinions will they start producing cards that are fit for purpose.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 26-03-19, 07:53 PM
OC3D Elite

They did exactly the same with programmable shaders to be fair, first gen hardware is always the least efficient by a long shot, but someone has to make it before you can get wide scale testing and development.

Even the few ray tracing software implementations that have been available have come a long way in the roughly 6 months since Turings launch though and upcoming implementations seem to improve on that efficiency further, but of course real progress comes from both mature software & hardware together, but every early adopter should know this already.

But I doubt we'll be seeing an NVidia replacement in the next 6 months, they havn't even finished the Turing roll out yet, and if they were to use first gen 7nm they'd already be taping out but 7nm demand statements from Samsung & TSMC don't seem to indicate that. It's quite likely NVidia are waiting for EUV for their next generation cards, which would put 2021 as the earliest we'd expect it, but that gap still wouldn't be nearly as big as the two and a half years between Turing and Pascal.
Old 26-03-19, 08:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
but that gap still wouldn't be nearly as big as the two and a half years between Turing and Pascal.
Which still holds strong and kicks ass!
Old 26-03-19, 08:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
To make it work better NVidia have to add more transistors to their chips which will increase the price.
Not true. You can still increase IPC of the current implementation by better designs. On top of that by decreasing node sizes which they will do in the future, they can fit more transistors into the same area as now. Thereby also increasing performance for the same amount of money. Assuming 7nm is more mature and space available for Nvidia to produce the amount they want, it would be cheaper or same price. Nvidia will as always increase the price, because they can and love there 80% margins.

On the software side you can still increase performance as well. As it matures it will improve everything about it. Can do that now and with future hardware.