Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-03-19, 06:39 PM
News Guru

The Outer Worlds is now an Epic Games Store Exclusive

The game will come to other PC storefronts after an exclusivity period.

Read more about The Outer Worlds becoming an Epic Games Store timed exclusive.

Old 20-03-19, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Fine, I don't have to buy it. I wanted to. I was pretty hyped, actually. But I can't support this kind of practice. It's anti-consumerism 101.
Old 20-03-19, 07:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Patience is a virtue. I can wait and get it on a Steam sale, or I'll get it from Epic if I'm that horny.

Old 20-03-19, 07:59 PM

Wink

I personally don't like this whole exclusivity thing but I still think many developers should do it as long as epic games is this eager to get exclusives.
As I recall they lure them in by guaranteed revenues for their games, meaning if sale targets don't meet the expectation they get the rest from epic games.
This in turn means that by not buying a game from a beloved developer while its exclusive, you support them more because they get their share from epic AND your support through the delayed buy through steam.
Old 20-03-19, 07:59 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm starting to really dislike Epic being so aggressive and being insanely anti consumer in this way.
Old 20-03-19, 08:05 PM
OC3D Elite

C. Don't give a crap.

Will still be getting it at launch. I won't let my own stubborn pride prevent me from having a good time.

Throwing sulks because you have to double click another app and open it to run your game is so petulant.

Old 20-03-19, 08:07 PM
OC3D Elite

To be fair, they are using Epics game engine, it makes sense to use their store to avoid the licensing fees, I doubt they need much more incentive than a 23% increase in revenue per sale, and I doubt there's any underhand tactics needed to go alongside that as a result. They could lose 20% of their sales as a result of this and still come out better for it, but even then they probably won't lose nearly that much.
Old 20-03-19, 08:59 PM

Think I'll wait until it comes to GOG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
C. Don't give a crap.

Will still be getting it at launch. I won't let my own stubborn pride prevent me from having a good time.

Throwing sulks because you have to double click another app and open it to run your game is so petulant.
You are Tim Sweeney and I claim my £5.
Old 20-03-19, 09:23 PM
OC3D Crew

So greed was the motivating factor behind this choice for Obsidian obviously, yet they are now owned by Microsoft so why even care about engine fees in the first place? This seems like a weird move to me
Old 20-03-19, 09:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Microsoft have been doing timed store exclusives in the PC space for years without issue or complaints(Besides those directed at the MS store itself), why would they change that now? profit is always the motivating factor for capitalist companies, it's by definition a profit motivated system.

It's no different from console licensing fees and exclusivity really, we let you use our tech for free if we get your software exclusively, this model been at work for decades. Many PC games over a significant time period have been essentially exclusive to Steam, attempting to unsettle that near monopoly that allows Valve to rinse game developers and leads us to often having price parity with physical console releases at launch on PC is the driving factor for developers adopting alternate stores, near-monopolies are never healthy in capitalist markets, someones going to get rinsed when that happens, Valve has just got away with it by making it the developers. Given the attitude of many PC gamers, at this point they're basically charging companies 30% just to sell their games to PC gamers(Or at least that's how many PC gamers would like it), a supposedly open platform(But not if the gamers can help it it seems), that's absolutely ludicrous.