Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-12-18, 05:52 PM
News Guru

The Results Are In! Battlefield V's Raytracing Performance Has Been Boosted

Nicely done DICE!

Read more about Battlefield V's boosted Raytracing performance.

Old 05-12-18, 08:57 PM
Resident Newb

They removed ray tracing from certain objects to improve performance, Such a difficult job, Well done devs......

/s
Old 05-12-18, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
They removed ray tracing from certain objects to improve performance, Such a difficult job, Well done devs......

/s

well if that is true it would be a sad joke.
you have a source for this?

edit:

i just read this

"PC Games & Hardware confirmed one source of added performance: vegetation reflections are no longer raytraced, they're now screenspace reflections"
Old 05-12-18, 11:43 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
well if that is true it would be a sad joke.
you have a source for this?

It's from Nvidia themselves -

-Removed inactive geometry from ray traced scenes.

AKA. Removing RT effects to improve performance.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3322...te-nvidia.html
Old 06-12-18, 12:23 AM
OC3D Elite

This is what happens when you try to run before you can walk. Or rather tell some one you can run when you aren't really even able to walk.

5 years. If it's still around then it'll be aces.

Old 06-12-18, 08:59 AM

Removing computations you don't notice the impact of is literally what optimisation is, regardless of the rendering technology. This was the very obvious route RTX was going to take, you apply it to everything, work out what people like, what people don't, and what people don't notice, then change how things work to match and repeat. We'll see something representative in a month or two- The idea is it should be raytracing significantly less stuff than it is now but without you noticing. Expect much more advanced algorithms for dynamically working out which objects will be raytraced as opposed to the catch-all approach disabling it for whole elements at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a x4 increase in RTX performance from BFV launch to the first content DLC.
Old 06-12-18, 05:09 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post

/s
It is a difficult job? Not sure about the sarcasm? They can only do so much with the limited time and limited hardware they have?
Old 06-12-18, 05:22 PM
The Webmaster

<3 Armchair developers.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 07-12-18, 06:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Removing computations you don't notice the impact of is literally what optimisation is, regardless of the rendering technology. This was the very obvious route RTX was going to take, you apply it to everything, work out what people like, what people don't, and what people don't notice, then change how things work to match and repeat. We'll see something representative in a month or two- The idea is it should be raytracing significantly less stuff than it is now but without you noticing. Expect much more advanced algorithms for dynamically working out which objects will be raytraced as opposed to the catch-all approach disabling it for whole elements at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a x4 increase in RTX performance from BFV launch to the first content DLC.

They won't be able to give a x4 increase by the time the first DLC comes out, because it was supposed to have been released already because of a "Bug", I reckon it will be out in a week or two at most.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/battlefie...-been-delayed/

As for the performance increase, it's a decent bump in performance even if it was simply down to turning of the RT Effects on some of the items on a map.

I am a graphics whore I like the shiny stuff to be cranked to the max, but for me from what I have seen so far of RT I am not impressed and would rather not have to drop performance to be able to see the reflection of my characters eyeball in the enemies eyes, or the scratches of paint on my car reflected in another car.

In a few years it will be really good I have a feeling that it will, but for now the performance hit even with this improvement is just to much, for something that I am not going to notice whilst running to shoot someone or from being shot.
Old 07-12-18, 09:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It is a difficult job? Not sure about the sarcasm? They can only do so much with the limited time and limited hardware they have?
I think also there was more to the fix than just removal of Raytracing on foliage and insignificant objects.

Quote:
Made stability improvements while running the game with DXR Ray Tracing on.
Improved performance of several components of the ray tracing implementation.
Improved ray tracing performance against foliage and vegetation.
Using frame buffer data, where applicable, to increase overall ray tracing quality.
Removed inactive geometry from ray traced scenes.
Fixed medium quality setting not applying correctly.”
Sounds like quite a task to me. But it appears that it was Nvidia stepping in to improve things more than DICE. What this means for future games, I am unsure. I just don't want things to resort to Nvidia/AMD bringing the improvments all the time leaving Devs to get "lazy".

And I don't mean lazy as in "can't be bothered" Sub. I know its hard work , I mean as in Devs just lay the foundations and then let the GPU manufacturers to utilise their tech within the games, e.g. RTX, Gameworks etc. I would love to see Developers pushing Nvidia to the limits as opposed to other way around. Perhaps that is the case here already, to which Kudos to DICE.