Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-08-18, 10:07 AM
News Guru

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX appears on Newegg - Pricing Revealed

Really? That little for 32 cores?

Read more about AMD's Ruyzen Threadripper 2990WX and its pricing.

Old 06-08-18, 10:11 AM
Resident Newb

Knowing UK prices it'll probably be a 1:1 conversion and cost £1799.99.

Old 06-08-18, 10:28 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Knowing UK prices it'll probably be a 1:1 conversion and cost £1799.99.
That's not far off a 7980ex anyways
Old 06-08-18, 10:43 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
That's not far off a 7980ex anyways
True and I can bet Intel will price their 28 core CPU as close to what the 2990WX costs as possible so the 2990WX needs to be a decent price.

Old 06-08-18, 10:57 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
True and I can bet Intel will price their 28 core CPU as close to what the 2990WX costs as possible so the 2990WX needs to be a decent price.
Gotta wonder, if they do they will have to start bringing down the price of their other parts, if they don't they risk losing more and more market share.

If AMD are really smart, they will offset some of their licenceing fees for the Chinese chips against theyre profits on they're skus and be able to make those even cheaper. This would really make Intel look at they're whole marketing system. But the accountants will probably see it as an easy revenue and take the 100% profit.....
Old 06-08-18, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
Gotta wonder, if they do they will have to start bringing down the price of their other parts, if they don't they risk losing more and more market share.

If AMD are really smart, they will offset some of their licenceing fees for the Chinese chips against theyre profits on they're skus and be able to make those even cheaper. This would really make Intel look at they're whole marketing system. But the accountants will probably see it as an easy revenue and take the 100% profit.....
It doesn't cost much to build that chip at all, their 1800 pricing is just to twiddle their nose at Intel. The cost to make it is the same as their lowest threadripper because the silicon is the same. Considering that each of their silicon processors is a bit under 100 bucks each and the substrate that they use is probably about 50 to 100 dollars. Then the fancy packing is about the same amount or less. In total they probably cost about 500-600 bucks each. Amd is making an absolute killing on threadripper.
Old 06-08-18, 11:31 AM

Well it would definitely be a solid upgrade from my old [email protected]
Old 06-08-18, 11:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_m3nace View Post
It doesn't cost much to build that chip at all, their 1800 pricing is just to twiddle their nose at Intel. The cost to make it is the same as their lowest threadripper because the silicon is the same. Considering that each of their silicon processors is a bit under 100 bucks each and the substrate that they use is probably about 50 to 100 dollars. Then the fancy packing is about the same amount or less. In total they probably cost about 500-600 bucks each. Amd is making an absolute killing on threadripper.
Your forgetting the R&D my friend, production of a chip is not the only cost... Billions went into employing staff to to get the product family to where it is today......
Intel Core i9 9900kK @ 5.00GHz @1.275v - Asus ROG Maximus Hero - Corsair 3000mhz CL16 LED 4x16GB SKHYNIX - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110i - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 06-08-18, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so can I be the first one to sort of complain about this? I've done some calculations (easy tbh) and it just sorta seems a bit crap to me.

OK, so basically as we know TR CPUs are basically Ryzen units stacked together, each containing 8 cores. Well, unless something serious has been changed since the original TR.

So we see this, right?

$329.99. We then multiply it by four and get $1,319.96

So why does it cost more than the price of four Ryzen 8 core CPUs? Now OK it comes in the snazzy box, right? but the 8 core Ryzens come with four coolers and four boxes. So surely that would cost more than just this snazzy container?

Look, I know it is "cheap" compared to Intel but logically it just doesn't add up to me at all.

I also strongly imagine that the price will drop pretty quickly too, as TR1 did. So hey, we will see I guess.

Old 06-08-18, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Your forgetting the R&D my friend, production of a chip is not the only cost... Billions went into employing staff to to get the product family to where it is today......
This is including the R&D. I'm taking the bass cost of making the ryzen, the substrate that threadripper/eypc sits on, and the packaging. The R&D is spread over millions of chips so it only comes down to a couple of dollars per processor chip that amd makes