Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-11-17, 09:08 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
Ubisoft has no plans to bring HDR support to Assassin's Creed: Origins' PC version

This comes after several confirmations to the contrary.



Read more on Ubisoft dropping announced HDR support for AC: Origins' PC version.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-17, 09:26 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,120
Makes sense, There's only really 1 proper full spec HDR monitor on the market, The Dell UP2718Q with 384 local dimming zones, 1000 nits brightness etc....and it costs upwards of £1800.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-17, 09:34 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Makes sense, There's only really 1 proper full spec HDR monitor on the market, The Dell UP2718Q with 384 local dimming zones, 1000 nits brightness etc....and it costs upwards of £1800.
While proper HDR monitors are rare, there are a few "HDR" monitors from Samsung that are FreeSync 2 compliant and plenty of TVs that people can use. Lots of modern televisions have decent response times with HDR now, well... at least a lot better than previously.

The main crux of the matter is that Ubisoft has lied about promised features, a feature that is not a big deal for a lot of people but nonetheless disappointing. There is no technical reason why it can't work on PC.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-17, 09:39 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
While proper HDR monitors are rare, there are a few "HDR" monitors from Samsung that are FreeSync 2 compliant and plenty of TVs that people can use. Lots of modern televisions have decent response times with HDR now, well... at least a lot better than previously.

The main crux of the matter is that Ubisoft has lied about promised features, a feature that is not a big deal for a lot of people but nonetheless disappointing. There is no technical reason why it can't work on PC.
I tried the Samsung Freesync 2 1440P 144Hz HDR Quantum Dot VA monitor recently, While in a few HDR titles it was ok you could quite clearly see the 8 dimming zones in sort of rectangular patterns, Plus the Freesync range was terrible, 90Hz to 144Hz.

And when it comes to promised features, I never believe Ubisoft, They promised a lot with The Division, A game I grew very fond of as co-op is insanely fun, And never delivered.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-17, 10:12 AM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,028
HDR is just overhyped like 4k. There is no point in wasting resources for technology that is years from general use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-17, 10:49 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
HDR is just overhyped like 4k. There is no point in wasting resources for technology that is years from general use.

Sweetspot in general is still 1440P, 4K can look nice but from my own experience it's just a bit less aliasing at a huge performance cost.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-17, 11:17 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
HDR is just overhyped like 4k. There is no point in wasting resources for technology that is years from general use.
I don't really agree with this statement, will HDR become "general use" if there is no content for it and will there be any drive to make the tech cheaper if there is no consumer demand due to a lack of content.

Like a lot of new technologies, there is a basic chicken and egg problem. 4K is becoming a lot more widely used now because of new 4K content, especially in the wake of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X console releases.

Today, most of the demand for HDR is in the TV market, but I imagine at next year's CES there will be no shortage of HDR monitors on display.

Also, how does any technology become "general use" unless people attempt to push things forward? If that were the case then why are people trying to create self-driving cars or all-electric vehicles, they are all years away from general use but the resources are not wasted.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-17, 12:54 PM
Digikid Digikid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
HDR is just overhyped like 4k. There is no point in wasting resources for technology that is years from general use.
Agreed. It's just another fad to pad the pockets of the manufacturers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-17, 02:19 PM
Tindo's Avatar
Tindo Tindo is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 256
And why are they buying Ubisoft games anyway, have they not learnt yet?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-17, 02:28 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Agreed. It's just another fad to pad the pockets of the manufacturers.
So you don't like innovative tech and would rather we have been stuck back in the non HD days just so you could feel like you weren't getting screwed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindo View Post
And why are they buying Ubisoft games anyway, have they not learnt yet?
What's wrong with ubisoft? They have done an amazing job turning that company around. This is there first bad thing in quite some time.
If you want to complain head on over the EA hatewagon. Plenty of reasons to.
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.