Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-05-17, 09:27 AM
News Guru

AMD Radeon Vega GPU specifications leak on CompuBench database

Specifications for an upcoming AMD Radeon Vega GPU have leaked on the CompuBench database, coming with more VRAM than expected and some very high clock speeds.

Read more on AMD's Vega GPU specifications leak.

Old 15-05-17, 12:03 PM

Hopefully shows that Vega will not be hamstrung be slow clocks, only time will tell though. Wishing AMD well with Vega, we need the competition.
Old 15-05-17, 12:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
Hopefully shows that Vega will not be hamstrung be slow clocks, only time will tell though. Wishing AMD well with Vega, we need the competition.
We need cheaper prices

1600 is still far off of well over 2ghz.

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 15-05-17, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
We need cheaper prices

1600 is still far off of well over 2ghz.
True but 1500 has been theorised to match the 1080ti in speed. IF that's correct then 'handbrake off' No idea how correct that is but it could be a good sign.
Old 15-05-17, 01:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
True but 1500 has been theorised to match the 1080ti in speed. IF that's correct then 'handbrake off' No idea how correct that is but it could be a good sign.
It's likely that Vega will perform better in DX12.

Ugh, so much unknown. One thing I do know is that if this card is $599 as rumour suggests it will be £599+ which prices me out.

Ah well, roll on the 70 series Volta I suppose.

Old 15-05-17, 01:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
It's likely that Vega will perform better in DX12.

Ugh, so much unknown. One thing I do know is that if this card is $599 as rumour suggests it will be £599+ which prices me out.

Ah well, roll on the 70 series Volta I suppose.
There will likely be the £400 and £500 version. I imagine the £400 card will be above the 1070 in performance, the £500 version will be above the 1080, and the £600 will be just before the 1080Ti in the majority of benchmarks and as you said match it or beat it in specific DX12/Vulkan games that favour AMD.
Old 15-05-17, 01:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
There will likely be the £400 and £500 version. I imagine the £400 card will be above the 1070 in performance, the £500 version will be above the 1080, and the £600 will be just before the 1080Ti in the majority of benchmarks and as you said match it or beat it in specific DX12/Vulkan games that favour AMD.
I will want at least the 1080 version. Should be timed quite nice too. I pay off the second instalment of my laptop next week so I will be clear from there

Having said all of that tbh? I don't really need a new GPU. Games are pretty stagnant, and I tend to be playing the more simple stuff lately. Need For Speed flies along beautifully so yeah, I need to be careful like I was with Ryzen and not rush into anything. It's likely I will find I don't really need one at all. All I need to do is drop the resolution to 1080p in game and bingo bongo, I've got me an ultra settings card (X2).

Old 15-05-17, 01:28 PM

We know there to be 3 levels to Vega and there are 3 Nvidia cards to take a shot at, 1070/1080/1080ti, any sensible thinking can work out what will happen here. Pricing is interesting. AMD's next card down, RX580 cost about £280 and Nvidia has the 1080ti around £700 that's a lot of riggle room for AMD to price ALL levels tight and take the game to Nvidia as they have with Ryzen to Intel. AMD can be on the front foot instead of the back one.
Old 15-05-17, 01:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I will want at least the 1080 version. Should be timed quite nice too. I pay off the second instalment of my laptop next week so I will be clear from there

Having said all of that tbh? I don't really need a new GPU. Games are pretty stagnant, and I tend to be playing the more simple stuff lately. Need For Speed flies along beautifully so yeah, I need to be careful like I was with Ryzen and not rush into anything. It's likely I will find I don't really need one at all. All I need to do is drop the resolution to 1080p in game and bingo bongo, I've got me an ultra settings card (X2).
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not limited by GPU, but I am still playing older games. I'm playing Mad Max at the moment and I'm easily able to hit 100 FPS with a few tweaks at 1440p. I'd only need Vega to hit similar FPS in games like The Division, Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, etc. I don't own any of those games yet though! That's the funny part.

If I do get the most powerful GPU, it'll be because it's the better value for money and because I feel like splurging (and not spending money anywhere else for three months)
Old 15-05-17, 01:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Division was easily handled by my Titan X. Never liked Dishonored, so screw 2. Watch Dogs 2? I did download that and play through the intro part and it seemed fine on my Fury X. It didn't interest me much though.

Again Deus Ex not my cuppa at all. Downloaded it played for less than an hour. However, did note it ran like turd, barely scraping 30 FPS @ 1440p ultra.

Problem is none of those franchises really appeal to me at all. If Fallout 5 came out? hell yeah, I would be first in the line for a new GPU if I needed it. Thing is that could be years off.

Next game I want is South Park TFBW but again, massive delays. Oh, and Dead Island 2 but that has vanished completely

For the past few days I've been getting the urge to play Fallout 3 again. That's how bad it is.