Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 23-11-21, 04:34 PM
News Guru

The UK Government now targets "full" 1Gbps internet coverage by 2030

85% coverage is expected by 2025.

Read more about the UK's Gigabit broadband rollout plans.

Old 23-11-21, 05:38 PM
OC3D Crew

Well it's good but i doubt it will even be 85% by 2030 and atm i'd settle for 5g in my area

My phone is doing it's job thou i get 40mb down and 10mb up on my iphone but 5g would be nice since it's actually able
Old 24-11-21, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
Well it's good but i doubt it will even be 85% by 2030 and atm i'd settle for 5g in my area

My phone is doing it's job thou i get 40mb down and 10mb up on my iphone but 5g would be nice since it's actually able

I use 5G for my internet via personal hotspot and unlimited data package. I get 400-500Mbit down. Upload is still useless though, as uploads still go by the 4G network, so stuck around 15-20mbit. Ping times in the 40-50ms.
Old 24-11-21, 11:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I use 5G for my internet via personal hotspot and unlimited data package. I get 400-500Mbit down. Upload is still useless though, as uploads still go by the 4G network, so stuck around 15-20mbit. Ping times in the 40-50ms.
Just wait till you get 5G SA. Then you will see some great progress. Right now, all 5G is NSA (non stand alone) and is tied to 4G, hence the 4g upload.

Technology still requires alot more spec and design till 5G stand alone gets rolled out but its already showing promising results.
Old 24-11-21, 02:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Yep 5g would be nice but my ping atm is about 25ms it's still fine when playing games thou even in a fps i don't have any real issues, the tower isn't far from me and there is open fields between me and the tower so it's decent, but i'll be moving next year hopefully and while 5g is already there it's not from the company i'm with but it's rolling out slowly so it'll happen when it happens
Old 24-11-21, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
Yep 5g would be nice but my ping atm is about 25ms it's still fine when playing games thou even in a fps i don't have any real issues, the tower isn't far from me and there is open fields between me and the tower so it's decent, but i'll be moving next year hopefully and while 5g is already there it's not from the company i'm with but it's rolling out slowly so it'll happen when it happens
In a perfect setup, 5G SA will allow you to watch 4k streaming with 1ms ping. Of course I say perfect setup as it requires alot of biased testing, but its been done with my company and Ericsson from a base station the size of a smaller suitcase

We are getting there! The funnier side is like you, I use my 5G hotspot for working at the office as its faster than the companies wifi now. Mainly because we have one base station setup on our roof and our core site is just down the road
Old 24-11-21, 03:06 PM
OC3D Crew

For me when I was on basic fiber here 65down 15up it was costing £20 more a month than my current phone contract 5ms latency thou. But the deal i got on my iphone 13 mini was so hella good they gave me 1tb a month as they said i'd never used more than 700gb and so far that is holding true, but basicallly I pay £11 for the contract and £22 for the phone i worked out the total cost quick when i was on the phone to them that night and it worked out i got my mini for less than £400

atm I don't miss fiber and i still have my old phone in case anything bad happens but 4g at home is pretty good so 5g will be a nice step up

The 5g hotspot lets my TV PS4 and Tablet and anyone that comes round easy to use no real issues, but my phone is a 24/7 hotspot always in use by something.

The days of me paying £45 a month for fiber unless it's gigabit is long gone, sure it was nice at first i mean i'm old enough to remember dial up so anything is better than that but fiber is atm overpriced for what you get here.