Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 12-06-12, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lauralarry
[media]

Old 12-06-12, 03:25 AM

I was wondering when they would get around to putting a retina display in their laptops.

it will be interesting to see how fast the competition gets out there ultra high resolution laptops.

Main Rig silent night

Corsair Carbide 500R With custom modded window - MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 - Intel i5-2500K @ 4.8GHz - Mushkin Blackline 8GB - Noctua NH-D14 - NVIDIA EVGA 570 HD - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold 800W - Patriot Pyro 60GB ssd - Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - Vizio 32in tv
Old 12-06-12, 04:06 AM
OC3D Crew

I'm a current owner of a 17" MacBook Pro and I was hopeful that they would add a Retina Display to the 17" model. Instead Apple has axed it completely. You can't even buy the old 17" model anymore, it's just .. gone.

Kinda makes me sad I've been buying the 17" Apple notebooks since they launched. I had a Powerbook and I've had two MacBook Pro's - I don't think I can go back to a 15" screen now, it just feels so small to me.

Having said that the new Retina Display 15" MacBook Pro looks really good and if that display is like anything on the iPad 3 or my iPhone 4S it will be worth getting. I'm gonna have to see one in person so I can make the decision about wether to buy one or stick with my current machine for a few more years.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 12-06-12, 05:06 AM

Can't wait to see people try and game at full res with any decent settings on the retina display with that little 650m lol.
Old 12-06-12, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

What a wast of time, at this moment in time no one need a screen at that resolution on a laptop. I am surprised that a gt 650 can run that display.

Home Connection Speed
Old 12-06-12, 12:05 PM

I do not approve the price at all. If the price politics is continued as it is now, then after another 5 generations the top end Macbook Pro will cost you over 10k USD... Is that correct? Of course not...The older models should be getting cheaper and the new ones should cost as much as the old ones did when they came out. As it is now, the old ones continue costing pretty much the same, but the new ones get more and more expensive.

Old 12-06-12, 12:28 PM

If it's anything like an iPad or an iPhone, you really won't run your screen at that resolution. What a retina display does on those devices is 4 pixels = 1 pixel. That's how everything gets sharper.

Edit: Thinking about it, it has to be something like this. Imagine how small desktop icons and text would be at that resolution. I run 1680x1050 on my 15" MBP, and honestly couldn't handle anything smaller.

Old 12-06-12, 12:30 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-525 View Post

What a wast of time, at this moment in time no one need a screen at that resolution on a laptop. I am surprised that a gt 650 can run that display.
I think you're missing the point. The stuff on the screen is the same size as a 1440x900 MacBook Pro. The old 15".

The difference is this new display uses 4x as many pixels to deliver that same virtual resolution. This results in extremely fine grain text and images that rival what you see in printed books. No longer do you see pixelation around curved letters and numbers or jagged edges around circles.

They have put this amazing display in not to increase the work area and make everything teeny-tiny that you need a magnifying glass just to read this post but to increase the pixel density and thereby increase the overall quality of everything on the screen.

Just like they did with the iPhone 4 and iPad 3.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 12-06-12, 12:50 PM

"top end graphics" my arse. A GT 650....

Wish they would just focus on the iMac and make that an absolute power horse.

www.sneakysbest.tumblr.com
Old 12-06-12, 01:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-525 View Post
We'll be using these as they're introduced to the fleet as the new models.

We have people who'll find it very practical to have 1080 in a window of it's own, without scaling.

Thing that's strange to me, is that apart from photos, any movie footage shown on anything above 1080 and full screen, will be upscaled, which without processing, will look "bad/poor".

Gpus alot less powerful than a GT650 are suitable for the mac world. 650 is just the latest model of the generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme. View Post
"top end graphics" my arse. A GT 650.... Wish they would just focus on the iMac and make that an absolute power horse.
iMac is marketted, mostly, to family/web users/office, verging on professional. You want power, buy a Pro.

Ditto with the 650.

Be nice to see some Dell Retina displays. 24" is a nice size physically - cram them pixels in !