Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Cooling - Other

Old 28-06-13, 08:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Best thermal paste

Heya guys!

I'm building a new rig soon, with a 4770k on G1 sniper m5 on a ~4GHz overclock. Will be using an H100i to cool and keep it quiet.

Only thing I'm stuck on is thermal paste. A few months ago the guys here recommended me MX-4 but lately I've seen everyone favour the NT-H1. There's probably an awful lot of difference?

Remember guys, I'm not asking 'What are you personally using?' I'm asking which one would be best. Rather not go with IC Diamond as I've heard it can leave scratches?

Thanks in advance

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 28-06-13, 08:37 PM
OC3D Elite

It's not going to make a lot of difference to be honest as long as you use a decent TIM. The heat exchange between the cores and IHS will be a limiting factor before that. Personally I use CoolLabs liquid Ultra. GC-Extreme is another great one but I also use MX-4 and NT-H1 is good too.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Old 28-06-13, 08:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Heya guys!

I'm building a new rig soon, with a 4770k on G1 sniper m5 on a ~4GHz overclock. Will be using an H100i to cool and keep it quiet.

Only thing I'm stuck on is thermal paste. A few months ago the guys here recommended me MX-4 but lately I've seen everyone favour the NT-H1. There's probably an awful lot of difference?

Remember guys, I'm not asking 'What are you personally using?' I'm asking which one would be best. Rather not go with IC Diamond as I've heard it can leave scratches?

Thanks in advance
I'm guessing you've been reading some of my posts if you're thinking IC Diamond will leave scratches
For normal use it's absolutely fine, as you're putting it between two relatively hard metal surfaces (heatsink and IHS). I'd only be cautious about putting it on the naked die after delidding as you're then crushing diamond particles between the hard base of the heatsink/IHS, and the mush softer plastic (or whatever that material is) die itself.

NT-H1 is still my choice however. You won't get anything better performing without going for Coolaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra.
Old 28-06-13, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

well ive always used arctic silver 5 which is good. but i thought ide try mx-4 and my idle temps dropped about 5 degrees and load temps on occt dropped about 8.
i cant comment on nt-h1 as ive never used it

OC3D Overclockers Club Member
No. 038
Old 29-06-13, 02:23 AM
OC3D Crew

I used Indigo Xtreme on the last build I did; it is insane.
The only downside is your motherboard must sit level, you can't put it in an upright case. It is a little bit of a process to get reflow right but it is 100% worth it.
Old 29-06-13, 02:44 AM
Resident Newb

IC-Diamond 24 Carat is the bomb, It's made from pixie dust and unicorn sweat.
Old 29-06-13, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
IC-Diamond 24 Carat is the bomb, It's made from pixie dust and unicorn sweat.
I really like MX-4. It's nice and thick and has always done the job nicely for me. I don't know if it can compete with pixie dust and unicorn sweat though
Gigabyte GA-Z77-UP5 TH - Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.6Ghz (EK Supreme LTX) - Sapphire HD 7970 (EK full cover block + backplate) - G. Skill Sniper 16GB 2133 - 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD - 2x 1TB WD Green RAID 0 - 2TB WD Green - XSPC D5 Vario Dual Bay Res
Old 29-06-13, 09:50 AM
OC3D Elite

I see that as soon as you move into the higher end pastes (where manufacturers did their research instead of throwing mustard and toothpaste together in a tube) it won't matter much.

Guess I'll be taking the the MX-4 then, it's only €4,- here where NT-H1 costs €10,-
Must admit that €6,- won't break the bank, but for the 2 degrees difference I don't think that's worth it.

Thanks guys

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 29-06-13, 10:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I see that as soon as you move into the higher end pastes (where manufacturers did their research instead of throwing mustard and toothpaste together in a tube) it won't matter much.

Guess I'll be taking the the MX-4 then, it's only €4,- here where NT-H1 costs €10,-
Must admit that €6,- won't break the bank, but for the 2 degrees difference I don't think that's worth it.

Thanks guys
have a look at this, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-2011/1396/5

mayonnaise did shockingly well as a thermal paste lol
Old 29-06-13, 01:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
[...]
That is hilarious. Chocolate is worse than no thermal paste, well that says something...

I've up until recently used arctic MX-2 exclusively, its pretty good, but I'll also go with arctic MX-4 in my next build. just sayin'
4.14.13-1-ARCH