Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 04-06-21, 03:38 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I don't see the point in actual outrage over PC components, they're essentially a luxory item. This behaviour will continue as long as there's more demand than supply. I see scalpers more as an option for people with more money than sense (or patience). Nobody is forced to buy GPUs, and there's a massive backlog of games which don't require current generation hardware.

Then again, I'm quite happy with my current setup, I guess I might be more miffed if that wasn't the case.
But from the way I see it, that logic only takes you so far. An inability to control spending can be considered a mental disorder by some psychologists. 5.8% of US citizens are reported to have a form of this. Obviously not all desperate gamers have a mental disorder, but the point is, taking advantage of desperation is like charging $5 for 100ml of water during a drought to impoverished children. To a hypothetical 'first world person', a new GPU might be all that they have to feel happy, even for a moment. Someone works gruelling office hrs and is in debt to an Audi dealership and to the bank for their £300k flat in London. They take steroids to look better and drink caffeine to stay awake. He's miserable until he gets a dopamine rush after buying. Or you've got streamers who are desperate for the a new GPU in order to wow their dwindling audience and garner a few more subscribers. Or you've got people who do nothing but play video games. They live off social welfare in their parent's house and save every little penny they have on gaming. It's all they have and all they are.

All these scenarios could be considered cases of extreme unhappiness and desperation. These are potential candidates for buying a GPU for £3k. CCL and others are taking advantage of that. Maybe it's a bit extreme of me to say, but it feels like we're approaching the stages of selling a model phone to a kid with autism in the corridor at school. Or selling water at exorbitant prices in drought. Sure, there's a shortage, but selling it at a gross profit causes desperate people to do desperate things. It then becomes a social issue. It's not JUST "people with more money than sense (or patience)". There's more to it than that I think.

__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-06-21, 04:07 PM
KingNosser KingNosser is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 558
Tbh I'm as sickened by the retailer as much as i am Nvidia, the price is already a rip off and then the AIB's and retailers on top make it pointless to ever want one.

I got my monitor from them it was actually a decent price i checked all retailers when buying, but i can't support this it's disgusting, so they have lost my trade all be it little and less often i'll stick with others but i've always had a good experience with scan they are imo the best for the longest time atm.
__________________
https://forum.overclock3d.net/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic20429_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-06-21, 05:45 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I don't see the point in actual outrage over PC components, they're essentially a luxory item. This behaviour will continue as long as there's more demand than supply. I see scalpers more as an option for people with more money than sense (or patience). Nobody is forced to buy GPUs, and there's a massive backlog of games which don't require current generation hardware.

Then again, I'm quite happy with my current setup, I guess I might be more miffed if that wasn't the case.
You're saying this as someone who has a RTX 3080 in their signature... little ironic tbh
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-06-21, 12:47 AM
queeg queeg is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 60
was going to do a full rebuild this year from a 5820k with a 1080ti but because of prices and availability plus the fans on x570 boards i havent bothered if it breaks i got a couple 980ti in cupboard or i might treat myself to the first console ive had since the ps3
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-06-21, 01:55 AM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
But from the way I see it, that logic only takes you so far. An inability to control spending can be considered a mental disorder by some psychologists. 5.8% of US citizens are reported to have a form of this. Obviously not all desperate gamers have a mental disorder, but the point is, taking advantage of desperation is like charging $5 for 100ml of water during a drought to impoverished children. To a hypothetical 'first world person', a new GPU might be all that they have to feel happy, even for a moment. Someone works gruelling office hrs and is in debt to an Audi dealership and to the bank for their £300k flat in London. They take steroids to look better and drink caffeine to stay awake. He's miserable until he gets a dopamine rush after buying. Or you've got streamers who are desperate for the a new GPU in order to wow their dwindling audience and garner a few more subscribers. Or you've got people who do nothing but play video games. They live off social welfare in their parent's house and save every little penny they have on gaming. It's all they have and all they are.

All these scenarios could be considered cases of extreme unhappiness and desperation. These are potential candidates for buying a GPU for £3k. CCL and others are taking advantage of that. Maybe it's a bit extreme of me to say, but it feels like we're approaching the stages of selling a model phone to a kid with autism in the corridor at school. Or selling water at exorbitant prices in drought. Sure, there's a shortage, but selling it at a gross profit causes desperate people to do desperate things. It then becomes a social issue. It's not JUST "people with more money than sense (or patience)". There's more to it than that I think.
I don't really get that point of view. If GPUs were all reasonably priced, they'd probably buy mechanical wrist watches - when Quartz watches are objectively better. With today's economy there will always be a way for such spenders to scratch their itch. What they need is professional help instead of the whole market to turn its course to become unhealthy spender safe.
__________________
i7 9900k - 16GB - 3080 XC3 Ultra - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-06-21, 08:47 AM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I don't really get that point of view. If GPUs were all reasonably priced, they'd probably buy mechanical wrist watches - when Quartz watches are objectively better. With today's economy there will always be a way for such spenders to scratch their itch. What they need is professional help instead of the whole market to turn its course to become unhealthy spender safe.
Yeah, fair point. You can't expect the whole market to do that; I can expect some of the market to do that though. With how emotionally attached people can be to gaming, in my idealistic eyes it's a prime area to not feed into people's desperation. But I can be quite naïve at times.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-06-21, 09:19 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 20,281
Have been hearing on Twitter that CCL is calling OC3D clickbaiters over this, claiming that they don't have stock to sell and that their prices were placeholders and wouldn't have been used.

Doesn't explain them hiding the prices on their site, and how they have RTX 3080 Ti product in their pre-builds. That means that they have product.

https://twitter.com/tinytomlogan/sta...24280408707084

Shortly after TTL posted this, all of CCL's RTX 3080 Ti "Coming Soon" listings disappeared. Presumably to move product to pre-builds. If they need to save face by not selling at extortionate prices, they may as well use the cards to sell a whole system' worth of components.

These are my opinions based on how I saw things go down earlier this week. \

CCL is sending DMs to folks that ask saying bad things about us. The fact that they are not doing so publically is telling, as it prevents us from responding.

Anyways, I think that is enough insider talk for now.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-21, 09:47 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Have been hearing on Twitter that CCL is calling OC3D clickbaiters over this, claiming that they don't have stock to sell and that their prices were placeholders and wouldn't have been used.

Doesn't explain them hiding the prices on their site, and how they have RTX 3080 Ti product in their pre-builds. That means that they have product.

https://twitter.com/tinytomlogan/sta...24280408707084

Shortly after TTL posted this, all of CCL's RTX 3080 Ti "Coming Soon" listings disappeared. Presumably to move product to pre-builds. If they need to save face by not selling at extortionate prices, they may as well use the cards to sell a whole system' worth of components.

These are my opinions based on how I saw things go down earlier this week. \

CCL is sending DMs to folks that ask saying bad things about us. The fact that they are not doing so publically is telling, as it prevents us from responding.

Anyways, I think that is enough insider talk for now.
Haha I love it, simply put - You caught them with their pants down for not being morally correct to their customers. Now they act like children, trying to get back at you for catching them on their act. How low, immature and unprofessional of them.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-06-21, 11:44 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Haha I love it, simply put - You caught them with their pants down for not being morally correct to their customers. Now they act like children, trying to get back at you for catching them on their act. How low, immature and unprofessional of them.
Well total lie from them. However....

Dawelio being as you are in Sweden (still?) you will know that Komplett.no or Komplett.se do exactly the same. The difference with Komplett is that they do not allow you to preorder or reserve said item.

I recall seeing the PS5 on Komplett for 9,999kr which was indeed a placeholder price. When it came to GPUs though their pricing was rockbottom when listed as placeholders. If you recall, I had been boasting that i managed to get a reserve price on a 3090 for about £900. But due to demand I had not been able to get one so cancelled in the end.

Anyway. In my opinion, they intentionally ramped up the price to try and sell since you know there will always be some with no willpower at all, and knew that if it backfired, they could always site the "placeholder price" excuse.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-06-21, 09:40 PM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You're saying this as someone who has a RTX 3080 in their signature... little ironic tbh
That's a fair point to make - I got it at near MSRP (870€). I wouldn't pay more.In fact I felt like an ass for paying that much for a GPU.



I don't find today's prices reasonable.
__________________
i7 9900k - 16GB - 3080 XC3 Ultra - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.