Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-10-20, 11:53 AM

Oh man I'm so up for some new GPUs.

I doubt I'll get a flagship card this gen, as they look like they'll approach the £1K mark.

As long as the cut-down cards have the same memory capacity & bandwidth, I'll probably be happy with those.

Old 21-10-20, 11:58 AM

DLSS is still a "meh" to me.

It'll feature in about 20 games next year, and you may want to play a few of them. But it's never going to a an industry standard, at least not this gen.
Old 21-10-20, 12:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post

It'll feature in about 20 games next year, and you may want to play a few of them. But it's never going to a an industry standard, at least not this gen.
I actually think DLSS is a fantastic feature. Far better than ray tracing.

DLSS 2.0 has boosted some titles by 20fps with very VERY little change in fidelity. Thats free performance. (i say free but obviously you need to own an adequate card to support DLSS 2.0)
Old 21-10-20, 12:43 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post

DLSS1 was pretty meh but DLSS2 is pure voodoo especially in games like Death Stranding and Control, The visual difference is immensely tiny yet the performance boost is quite big.

Old 21-10-20, 01:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Well, as Mark has previously covered, Microsoft have already showcased DLSS like functionality via their DirectML layer, which I believe is supported on all last (RTX2000/RX5000) and next gen GPU hardware, and of course on the new Xbox Series, so maybe that's ready for rollout this November with the new hardware.
Old 21-10-20, 02:38 PM

I'm looking forward to getting a Sapphire RX 6800 Nitro+ if it is fairly-priced and has better performance per dollar than the competence.
Old 21-10-20, 03:35 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Well, at least it's very similar to other RDNA2 cards so top AMD fans don't have to endure another VII. As in, it probably won't get second class treatment driver wise.

But it does seem like VII in many other respects - limited stock, outlier in line-up and rumoured fairly high power usage. Halo product which will compete against Nvidia's highest end "regular" card.
Or maybe a Halo product that competes with Nvidia's Halo product.

I know everyone has said this a thousand times already, but specifications strongly infer the top tier card will be able to beat a 3080. A 5700XT at 2.3-2.5 Ghz would net a huge performance jump alone. Then you have architectural improvements, higher VRAM, higher bandwidth, double the CUs, etc. I don't think AMD will take the performance crown, but I think it's possible and probable they'll be able to beat a 3080. And I can imagine doing so with a price tag of something like $800-900, nipping at the heals of a 3090 that's $1500.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 21-10-20, 03:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Yay another exclusive. Exclusive to aholes on Youtube to continually rub in our faces, and even put them in Crossfire (even though it doesn't work, just to make us even more angry) and then put under LN2 so they can all rub off among themselves, having great fun whilst getting paid for it.

Awesome.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 22-10-20, 07:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Or maybe a Halo product that competes with Nvidia's Halo product.

I know everyone has said this a thousand times already, but specifications strongly infer the top tier card will be able to beat a 3080. A 5700XT at 2.3-2.5 Ghz would net a huge performance jump alone. Then you have architectural improvements, higher VRAM, higher bandwidth, double the CUs, etc. I don't think AMD will take the performance crown, but I think it's possible and probable they'll be able to beat a 3080. And I can imagine doing so with a price tag of something like $800-900, nipping at the heals of a 3090 that's $1500.
Thats all they need to do and they will control the market. We all know the value of a 3090 is not worth it.

Im still disappointed in the performance. Was so close to ordering one.
Old 22-10-20, 11:31 AM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Thats all they need to do and they will control the market. We all know the value of a 3090 is not worth it.

Im still disappointed in the performance. Was so close to ordering one.
Maybe that's why Nvidia are supposedly cancelling the 20GB and 16GB versions of the 3080 and 3070. Maybe they're bringing this 7nm rumour to reality sooner because they know they're going to bettered by AMD who just a couple of years ago were a whole generation behind.

I don't 'adore' AdoredTV, but he had a huge "I'm quitting this nonsense" rant yesterday or the day before, and he again went through the numbers of Ampere showing how it's actually a mediocre improvement over Turing and Pascal. With this new 7nm refresh rumour doing the rounds out there, I can see why Nvidia will need it. The 3090 isn't a Titan. It's a 2080Ti replacement with a higher price tag, higher power consumption, and only a 15% lead over the 3080. If AMD can come close to that with lower power draw and price tag and wider availability, they'll gain a lot of mindshare and revenue.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX