Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 22-11-13, 11:34 PM
OC3D Elite

I dont think there will be much for CPU's and guys like us in 2014. From their perspective, their CPU's are already overkill for 99% of whats out there. Think what kind of rig you have to have in order to get an i5 breathing hard. A pair of GTX780's at 5760x1080 or something crazy like that?

I dont think they see a need to bring out anything faster than they already have. With the desktop market shrinking, the current CPU's more than powerful enough and everything going mobile/tablet, theyre putting all their focus on products like AMD's APU's and low power offerings.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Logitech G MX518
Old 23-11-13, 12:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I dont think there will be much for CPU's and guys like us in 2014. From their perspective, their CPU's are already overkill for 99% of whats out there. Think what kind of rig you have to have in order to get an i5 breathing hard. A pair of GTX780's at 5760x1080 or something crazy like that?

I dont think they see a need to bring out anything faster than they already have. With the desktop market shrinking, the current CPU's more than powerful enough and everything going mobile/tablet, theyre putting all their focus on products like AMD's APU's and low power offerings.
I'm disappointed that's how it's going, I've had my CPU for a few years now, I want an upgrade for the sake of it to be honest, but I'm not entirely persuaded by Haswell offering limited extra performance and a lot of heat :/

Old 23-11-13, 09:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
There's various benchmarks floating around of CPUs like the Q6600, E8400
Phenom II X4 955, Phenom II X6 1090T pitted against the more current offerings like the i5-3570k or FX's when it comes to gaming. The i5 or FX's are undoubtedly better but the difference isn't enough to notice in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
I want an upgrade for the sake of it to be honest
Don't we all!

Old 23-11-13, 11:27 AM
News Guru

the only games that give my cpu a good workout is rts games like total war and some civ 5.
even then both games are usually heavily modded, especially civ 5 (all civs on one epic map!!! can really hurt loading times in the later game).
apart from those very specific situations my cpu doesn't even break a sweat.
Old 23-11-13, 12:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
I'm curious, where are those numbers coming from?
You'll find a lot of numbers and data sets like this on S|A forums, there are generally a few guys in industry knocking about there. In terms of what gamers use, the Steam HWsurvey is a good place to get ballpark figures- http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

For the AMD 2012 sales portions, http://gyazo.com/05511ec7de182de63b8a93bda7dae9ca

Sites like SeekingAlpha can also be a good place to look, some writers give pretty useful info for investors into current sales figures and the financial side of things.

Quote:
the only games that give my cpu a good workout is rts games like total war and some civ 5.
even then both games are usually heavily modded, especially civ 5 (all civs on one epic map!!! can really hurt loading times in the later game).
apart from those very specific situations my cpu doesn't even break a sweat.
I also generally find this to be the case, and to be honest, I'd rather have 12 or 16 weaker cores available to us than fewer faster cores, at least then I could run a few VMs in the background on their own dedicated cores without taking a noticeable performance hit, it'd vastly lower the need to use a second or third PC for doing other tasks. It's just a shame a consumer CPU like that isn't really available, if AMD/Intel did a 12/+ core Jaguar/BayTrail at consumer orientated prices I'd probably get rid of this FX8350.