Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-07-21, 10:18 AM

Just curious, what is wrong with lowering the refresh slightly to 165 or 144 , then no compression is needed for 4:4:4 at 10 bit, seeing as how 240 fps is un attainable for any game i can think of that is made after 2015. Is it just knowing that one of the settings is not turned to 11? Im truly baffled by these disappointed commenters and am happy I dont have to wait another year for this monitor, as long as the QC is addressed.

Old 17-07-21, 10:28 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainSource77 View Post
Just curious, what is wrong with lowering the refresh slightly to 165 or 144 , then no compression is needed for 4:4:4 at 10 bit, seeing as how 240 fps is un attainable for any game i can think of that is made after 2015. Is it just knowing that one of the settings is not turned to 11? Im truly baffled by these disappointed commenters and am happy I dont have to wait another year for this monitor, as long as the QC is addressed.

You've missed the point completely.

It's not about entitlement or any of that bull, 240Hz is nothing more than a marketing checkbox as anyone who values image quality is not going to use it because of the issues that come with DSC, They could've used a 144Hz capable panel, Still had all the HDR bells and whistles, High res etc...

This would've brought the price down but as it stands the 240Hz checkbox is just there to say "look what we have" and is a complete waste as no one who values image quality would use it because of said DSC issues, No different to a few years ago when some of the first 4K monitors were TN, No one serious about image quality would buy them but companies could say "Look we have 4K monitors".
Old 17-07-21, 11:35 AM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You can keep saying this yet Warchild has already told you he could tell the difference since he actually tried it. With that said, why cant we feel like we dont want DSC and have you always say the same thing over and over? Why would I a person who say was spending thousands of dollars on a top end monitor, want ANY sacrifices whether they are valid to you or not? I don't think there should be any compression for the amount top end monitors charge. I would feel cheated. If it had DP 2.0 then I wouldn't care and if using HDMI 2.1 you would be aware it had to have compression, but then thats up to me if I deem 1 DP 2.0 port worth it(which I would), but see this gives options rather than a cut and dry must use compression.
I wasn't saying myself that it's not OK to not want DSC or not to want to feel cheated out of your money. What I was saying was, the perfect monitor for everyone doesn't exist. Each of the technologies and designs have glaring issues. It's about finding a monitor that has issues you can live with. If you just cannot abide an expensive monitor that uses compression, the monitor isn't for you. It still should exist though, because for many it'll be amazing. Monitor technology isn't about spending more money to get fewer compromises. The technology for a no compromise setup doesn't exist. In many sectors of the market, paying more and more gets you closer and closer to 'perfection' or 'idealism' or 'zero compromise'. Go to VW garage with a budget of €15k, you'll get a car with compromises. Go to a VW garage with €100k and you'll get a car with no compromises. But the monitor market has proven that such a thing doesn't exist. You can't spend €2k on a monitor that has everything and is awesome for everyone. This Samsung monitor still uses a VA panel, something many gamers wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge poll. Ideally this monitor would have DP 2.0. But Samsung has deemed that there is a market right now for this monitor. Their Odyssey line has been incredibly popular, so it makes sense they'll continue pushing it rather than wait for more ideal circumstances.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 17-07-21, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

You do know that NBD had quoted looz and not you in his post right?
Old 18-07-21, 11:15 AM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
You do know that NBD had quoted looz and not you in his post right?
Oh, yeah, I know. I'm just awkwardly talking to myself. xD Hah!
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 19-07-21, 11:08 AM
OC3D Crew

Now, the real question is whether the old model will get cheaper and if it doesn't make sense to simply get that one if you're willing to sacrifice some features.