Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 15-05-14, 10:46 AM
The Guvnor

NZXT Kraken G10 GPU Heatsink Review

We knew it was coming and it's finally here. The Kraken G10 brings water cooled GPUs to the masses

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 15-05-14, 11:06 AM

no talk about VRM?

You missed out a HUGE point here. check the VRM temperatures, in other reviews ive seen with these the VRMS end up 10-20 degrees hotter than the STOCK cooling would acheive, would have been useful to see that tested and maybe given some tips to reduce it, ie will some aftermarket VRM heatsinks fit and therefore fix the problem? or are they too big therefore making this cooling solution totally unviable.
My PC: Fractal Design Define R4, Intel i7 4790k @4.4GHz(stock turbo speed), 16GB 1600MHz, R9 290 MSI Gaming OC edition (Undervolted by 44mV and still wont stay at STOCK REFERENCE clock speed... yeah thanks for recommending MSI tom...), Eyefinity 5760x1080 user
Old 15-05-14, 11:09 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
You missed out a HUGE point here. check the VRM temperatures, in other reviews ive seen with these the VRMS end up 10-20 degrees hotter than the STOCK cooling would acheive, would have been useful to see that tested and maybe given some tips to reduce it, ie will some aftermarket VRM heatsinks fit and therefore fix the problem? or are they too big therefore making this cooling solution totally unviable.
Not all cards have probes there dude, we have had 0 issues with it though and the fan right over the top of it should be ample, if end uers are worried then it will require bonding heatsinks to the fets etc anyways and we cant do that with a card we need to reuse

Old 15-05-14, 11:18 AM

Nice review TTL.

Heres a few pics of me putting one on my GTX 680.
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=64279

I rate it as a solution, so much quieter with better temps
Old 15-05-14, 11:19 AM

both the GTX titan and R9 290 have been shown in this review ( http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...G10-Review-527 ) to run significantly hotter in VRM terms compared to the reference cooling. since the titan gtx 780 and 780ti are so very closely related i think it would be safe to say that they would have similar if not the same results; hotter VRM than reference. I dont think that just because you cant test how much better using vrm heat pads is a good reason not to test vrms at least to see what kind of a difference it has made removing the heatsink from the vrms and having only a fan pointing at them as the G10 does, for any component to run hotter than the reference cooler... thats pretty scary and more than 100% worth putting at least a paragraph or two to talk about.
My PC: Fractal Design Define R4, Intel i7 4790k @4.4GHz(stock turbo speed), 16GB 1600MHz, R9 290 MSI Gaming OC edition (Undervolted by 44mV and still wont stay at STOCK REFERENCE clock speed... yeah thanks for recommending MSI tom...), Eyefinity 5760x1080 user
Old 15-05-14, 11:26 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCrezz View Post
Nice review TTL.

Heres a few pics of me putting one on my GTX 680.
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=64279

I rate it as a solution, so much quieter with better temps
It was Gary that did the review - says at the top

Old 15-05-14, 11:31 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaspeed2 View Post
As Tom said, most 3rd party cards don't have probes there. Same thing applies to my R9 290 review with the XSPC waterblock. I couldn't go into the water cooled VRM design because i couldn't record temps.

Having worked with universal water blocks before, I would say that NZXT should add something to help cool the VRM. The fan mount idea is fantastic (better than the cable ties i used with my universal blocks anyway), but i would combine them with a vrm sink.

The ram will be fine without a heatsink though, GPU ram doesn't get too hot without them (again based on universal block experience). The airflow from the fan is definitely welcome though.

Good review, definitely deserves gold.
Old 15-05-14, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
It was Gary that did the review - says at the top
Oh yeah, I just saw the FB post by you and assumed. Good review Gary.

In reply to the other dude, yeah you can fit heatsinks to the VRMs no problem, see my link.
Old 15-05-14, 11:40 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCrezz View Post
In reply to the other dude, yeah you can fit heatsinks to the VRMs no problem, see my link.
Yeah I know you can, but i think NZXT should consider adding them to the package.

I would be a bit more difficult to remain compatible with all GPUs, so I see why they didn't. That and cost considerations.
Old 15-05-14, 12:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Some good performance from adding a AIO to your GPU with the G10.

I'd like to see someone make a bracket similar to the G10, but make it so it is comparable with all AIOs. The thing with the G10 is it is made to support AIOs with the same heatsink as their own Kraken range of AIOs, which you can't blame them for but it would be nice for someone else to make a similar bracket that can fit all AIO heatsinks.

Eitherway the G10 is still good and NZXT did well