Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 30-04-21, 06:24 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 20,298
Oculus' Quest 2 Business puts a price on privacy, and it's steep!

Business users need to pay a lot for Oculus to remove its Facebook requirement.



Read more about Oculus' Quest 2 for Business VR headset.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-04-21, 08:39 PM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,263
Makes it glaringly obvious about users being the product.
__________________
i7 9900k - 16GB - 3080 XC3 Ultra - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-21, 08:53 AM
ET3D ET3D is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 158
This has nothing to do with Facebook privacy. Such prices were in effect long before Facebook mandated the use of a Facebook account with its VR product.

This blog post from two years ago introduces Oculus Business with a $599 Oculus Go and $999 Oculus Quest (that was before the original Quest was released).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-21, 06:46 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 14,952
Was very tempted by the Q2 as it has high res, No lighthouses needed, Decent FoV, High refresh and can be plugged into your PC with a single cable enabling PCVR... but the amount of privacy intrusive crap is over the top and as you need a Facebook account this is also a big no no.
__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-21, 07:12 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Was very tempted by the Q2 as it has high res, No lighthouses needed, Decent FoV, High refresh and can be plugged into your PC with a single cable enabling PCVR... but the amount of privacy intrusive crap is over the top and as you need a Facebook account this is also a big no no.
I'd still take the index over this. If I had disposable income I'd pick it up for asghards wrath
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-21, 06:42 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 14,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I'd still take the index over this. If I had disposable income I'd pick it up for asghards wrath

Index experience is good but there are a few areas it needs to improve, Quality control, Wider FoV, Better lenses and higher res, Basically the G2 but higher FoV, then it would be a miles better product.
__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-21, 11:14 PM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,263
I don't think there's any question about Index being better. It's more expensive and requires lighthouses. I guess I'm lucky, no QC issues. Maybe half-blind as well since the FoV is pretty nice (as long as I'm not wearing glasses and can bring the lenses close, which is OK, my natural vision is better than 1440p or whatever Index provides).

I bought the original Quest as an intro to VR and moved on to Index because I kinda liked it.
__________________
i7 9900k - 16GB - 3080 XC3 Ultra - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-21, 01:51 AM
KingNosser KingNosser is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 560
I've been getting plenty of fun from my rift s, it was cheap after all, i know the others are somewhat better but they are far higher prices, thou i'd be tempted by an index 2 they are bound to make one.

For the price i paid i can't complain and while the resolution and refresh rate might be a tad lower, half life alyx was really enjoyable worked fine for me finished that now, it looked pretty dam nice tbh so the lower end hmd's are not so bad tbh.

I'd have got an index but omg that price is a huge wallet wack that i couldn't afford.

I have just over 40 vr games now, some better than others but still have some good games to enjoy until half life alyx 2 since they said it's being made recently looking forward to that.

My main gripe with VR and i feel it's a big negative atm is the exclusives doesn't matter which platform or headset making a vr game exclusive to me from a biz standpoint seems like the most stupid thing for a dev to limit it's sales in such a way and at the same time creating a climate to continue doing just that.

On the whole thou i've enjoyed VR even modded GTA V into a VR game it's early days on that mod it seems and it's kinda janky but in time it could be really good, but it's playable.

As for facebook lets just leave it to the fact checkers to block all our thoughts lol
__________________
https://forum.overclock3d.net/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic20429_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-21, 07:13 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 14,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
I've been getting plenty of fun from my rift s, it was cheap after all, i know the others are somewhat better but they are far higher prices, thou i'd be tempted by an index 2 they are bound to make one.

For the price i paid i can't complain and while the resolution and refresh rate might be a tad lower, half life alyx was really enjoyable worked fine for me finished that now, it looked pretty dam nice tbh so the lower end hmd's are not so bad tbh.

I'd have got an index but omg that price is a huge wallet wack that i couldn't afford.

I have just over 40 vr games now, some better than others but still have some good games to enjoy until half life alyx 2 since they said it's being made recently looking forward to that.

My main gripe with VR and i feel it's a big negative atm is the exclusives doesn't matter which platform or headset making a vr game exclusive to me from a biz standpoint seems like the most stupid thing for a dev to limit it's sales in such a way and at the same time creating a climate to continue doing just that.

On the whole thou i've enjoyed VR even modded GTA V into a VR game it's early days on that mod it seems and it's kinda janky but in time it could be really good, but it's playable.

As for facebook lets just leave it to the fact checkers to block all our thoughts lol
I'm not on Facebook as I can't stand it but a friend showed me one of his posts that was "fact checked" and it was of his local work place, Some type of incident that he was fully aware of, Apparently these "fact checkers" think it didn't happen purely because it goes against their own far far very far left leaning politics.

Facebook is a cancerous platform.
__________________
= Steam/Origin/Uplay - Dicehunter =
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-21, 07:56 AM
KingNosser KingNosser is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 560
Truth=fact checked

I don't like the company like most everyone, but i use it for friends and family, i'll never be someone with 1000's of people i have never met in real life.

Saying that the occulus is decent for the price, but we all know they are milking the data.
__________________
https://forum.overclock3d.net/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic20429_1.gif
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.