Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-11-20, 03:19 PM
News Guru

Did you manage to buy a Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT GPU?

AMD's day-1 stock didn't last long.

Read more about AMD's RX 6800 day-1 stock selling out.

Old 18-11-20, 04:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Another jovial festival. Seems many have made their way to Ebay already for £1500.

You know what? all of this anger and angst seems almost well avoided by the £2000 I spent on two 2080Tis now.

When I saw the reviews for the 6000 series I had a long hard think, and came to the conclusion that they offered me absolutely nothing for my chosen resolution. In fact, my 2080Tis are better at RT, have DLSS support, RT voice and the encoding isn't s**t either. Which I have been using lately as our PUBG team has 5, so rather than split the party we sit out games and I stream the game to the guy not playing when it's not my turn. It's still garbage on AMD.

Yeah, I am going there. Feature wise? I think these cards are too expensive. The raster performance is very good, but when they lose every other feature any one gives a toss about now (ignoring RT of course !) they are just not worth the money. A consequence of going TSMC I suppose.

Absolutely nothing to entice me away from what I have, and the stress and anxiety would probably cause me more aggro. Far more aggro. I hate seeing human greed being practiced, like OCUK did with their prices earlier. It disgusts me.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 18-11-20, 04:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Would be so interesting to see comparisons on how much extra cost GDDR6X brings vs. extra cache. But probably only one of those will drop significantly in price over time.
Old 18-11-20, 04:49 PM

Same lie different day.
Old 18-11-20, 04:56 PM
OC3D Elite

I'll wait until next year and see how much the cards have come down in price. My 2080 Super will do the job until I want to replace it

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 18-11-20, 04:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Would be so interesting to see comparisons on how much extra cost GDDR6X brings vs. extra cache. But probably only one of those will drop significantly in price over time.
Looking at the 4k benchmarks on HWUB I would say that in this instance the GDDRX seems to make a big difference. The 6800 cards fall off a cliff at 4k.

I would happily pay the extra for it, let's just put it that way. Well, if I were gaming at 4k any way.

I do like these cards. They are definitely a step in the right direction. However, the sacrifices for the sake of fifty quid seem just a little too much for me. With prices gouged? I would go Nvidia. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if the prices were what we were told, but once again they got gouged.

People are asking £1500 for a card on Ebay. For £100 more you can go and order a 3090 as I type this.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 18-11-20, 09:50 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Another jovial festival. Seems many have made their way to Ebay already for £1500.

You know what? all of this anger and angst seems almost well avoided by the £2000 I spent on two 2080Tis now.

When I saw the reviews for the 6000 series I had a long hard think, and came to the conclusion that they offered me absolutely nothing for my chosen resolution. In fact, my 2080Tis are better at RT, have DLSS support, RT voice and the encoding isn't s**t either. Which I have been using lately as our PUBG team has 5, so rather than split the party we sit out games and I stream the game to the guy not playing when it's not my turn. It's still garbage on AMD.

Yeah, I am going there. Feature wise? I think these cards are too expensive. The raster performance is very good, but when they lose every other feature any one gives a toss about now (ignoring RT of course !) they are just not worth the money. A consequence of going TSMC I suppose.

Absolutely nothing to entice me away from what I have, and the stress and anxiety would probably cause me more aggro. Far more aggro. I hate seeing human greed being practiced, like OCUK did with their prices earlier. It disgusts me.
In fairness, I wouldn't necessarily say these cards are aimed at people who own two 2080Ti's.

I totally get what you're saying and agree that if you need DLSS or Nvidia features, RDNA2 is not for you. But you're not AMD's target market. Anyone who has a GTX 1080, 980Ti, Vega 56, 290X, Fury, etc and doesn't need any fancy features, they'll see a huge performance jump buying a 6000 series card. For anyone who's in that camp and fits in AMD's target market, they'll be very happy.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 18-11-20, 11:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Major players in Canada don't even have listings, Amazon.ca, Canada Computers, Memory Express, it appears NO companies got ANY stock at all. I know my local Canada Computers has nothing, not even a website listing. This is no launch at all as far as I can tell.

Old 19-11-20, 01:26 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Major players in Canada don't even have listings, Amazon.ca, Canada Computers, Memory Express, it appears NO companies got ANY stock at all. I know my local Canada Computers has nothing, not even a website listing. This is no launch at all as far as I can tell.
There is stock. People just love bots. Not sure about Canada though.

Tsmc is struggling to supply the entire world's 7nm tech. Which range from phones to mobile to PC to HPC. Hell Apple is a tier 1 customer for them and they barely have any iphone 12 stock(not that I care I enjoy people getting mad about not getting a shiny new phone lol)
Old 19-11-20, 08:33 AM
Resident Newb

Personally waiting for around March or April, Maybe stock will improve and maybe retailers will grow some morals, Unlikely, And stop individuals from buying mass amounts of cards.