Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 15-07-20, 01:38 PM
News Guru

DLSS 2.0 in Death Stranding - Nvidia 4K Performance Trump Card

Nvidia's killer feature DLSS 2.0 is back, but how does it fare when pitted against AMD's Fidelity FX CAS tech and Death Stranding's already beautiful presentation?

Read more about Death Stranding's use of DLSS 2.0

Old 15-07-20, 08:44 PM
OC3D Elite

I didn't think much of it, until I saw that chick's face. Her eyebrows look so much better, just so much more detail there.

I'm glad this is becoming a used thing now.

Old 15-07-20, 09:30 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I didn't think much of it, until I saw that chick's face. Her eyebrows look so much better, just so much more detail there.

I'm glad this is becoming a used thing now.
Yeah, in many scenes both look near-identical, but when TAA artefacts come into play, DLSS 2.0 wins hard. I didn't believe how good DLSS looked initially.

TBH, while I love DLSS 2.0, I really want to see a 3rd party alternative that can work on both AMD and Nvidia cards. That's surely coming, as console makers will want to see this kind of upsampling, I want to see this kind of thing widely adopted on both the software and hardware side.
Old 15-07-20, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh I don't care I have three RTX cards

haha jokes aside yeah this is cool.

Old 16-07-20, 06:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, in many scenes both look near-identical, but when TAA artefacts come into play, DLSS 2.0 wins hard. I didn't believe how good DLSS looked initially.

TBH, while I love DLSS 2.0, I really want to see a 3rd party alternative that can work on both AMD and Nvidia cards. That's surely coming, as console makers will want to see this kind of upsampling, I want to see this kind of thing widely adopted on both the software and hardware side.
It will be hard to make 3rd party software that does it on both AMD and Nvidia cards. It will be either-or. This is a hardware-specific feature. Tensor cores are doing all the AI stuff locally on GPU die. AMD cards won't have that on their dies. And I don't think that stream cores can do all that math efficiently.

Consoles would kill for this feature, but we need to see what will AMD do. They don't have hundreds of thousands of Tesla GPUs in the basement doing all AI training, neither they have years of AI development like Nvidia has.

The console market is absurdly large so there may be an AMD alternative. Will it be this good remains to be seen.
Old 16-07-20, 07:33 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It will be hard to make 3rd party software that does it on both AMD and Nvidia cards. It will be either-or. This is a hardware-specific feature. Tensor cores are doing all the AI stuff locally on GPU die. AMD cards won't have that on their dies. And I don't think that stream cores can do all that math efficiently.

Consoles would kill for this feature, but we need to see what will AMD do. They don't have hundreds of thousands of Tesla GPUs in the basement doing all AI training, neither they have years of AI development like Nvidia has.

The console market is absurdly large so there may be an AMD alternative. Will it be this good remains to be seen.
There has been a version of DLSS which didn't use Tensor cores, I believe the original release of Control used that version. There is definitely a way that similar feats to this can be done with more generic compute, and you can be sure that RDNA 2 will contain some new AI-ish features. The Xbox Series X does IIRC.
Old 16-07-20, 09:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
There has been a version of DLSS which didn't use Tensor cores, I believe the original release of Control used that version. There is definitely a way that similar feats to this can be done with more generic compute, and you can be sure that RDNA 2 will contain some new AI-ish features. The Xbox Series X does IIRC.
Yes, it did use regular cores but they didn't have enough umpf to give proper performance bump. Maybe with some future releases but the way things are going now both DLSS and alternatives, as well as RT, will be processed on dedicated pieces of silicon. So... There will probably be a red and green version of everything.
Old 18-07-20, 09:55 AM
Old N Gold

Wow, DLSS looks fantastic here.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX