Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 15-07-20, 01:38 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,200
DLSS 2.0 in Death Stranding - Nvidia 4K Performance Trump Card

Nvidia's killer feature DLSS 2.0 is back, but how does it fare when pitted against AMD's Fidelity FX CAS tech and Death Stranding's already beautiful presentation?



Read more about Death Stranding's use of DLSS 2.0

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15-07-20, 08:44 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,280
I didn't think much of it, until I saw that chick's face. Her eyebrows look so much better, just so much more detail there.

I'm glad this is becoming a used thing now.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-07-20, 09:30 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I didn't think much of it, until I saw that chick's face. Her eyebrows look so much better, just so much more detail there.

I'm glad this is becoming a used thing now.
Yeah, in many scenes both look near-identical, but when TAA artefacts come into play, DLSS 2.0 wins hard. I didn't believe how good DLSS looked initially.

TBH, while I love DLSS 2.0, I really want to see a 3rd party alternative that can work on both AMD and Nvidia cards. That's surely coming, as console makers will want to see this kind of upsampling, I want to see this kind of thing widely adopted on both the software and hardware side.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-07-20, 09:47 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,280
Oh I don't care I have three RTX cards

haha jokes aside yeah this is cool.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-07-20, 06:57 AM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, in many scenes both look near-identical, but when TAA artefacts come into play, DLSS 2.0 wins hard. I didn't believe how good DLSS looked initially.

TBH, while I love DLSS 2.0, I really want to see a 3rd party alternative that can work on both AMD and Nvidia cards. That's surely coming, as console makers will want to see this kind of upsampling, I want to see this kind of thing widely adopted on both the software and hardware side.
It will be hard to make 3rd party software that does it on both AMD and Nvidia cards. It will be either-or. This is a hardware-specific feature. Tensor cores are doing all the AI stuff locally on GPU die. AMD cards won't have that on their dies. And I don't think that stream cores can do all that math efficiently.

Consoles would kill for this feature, but we need to see what will AMD do. They don't have hundreds of thousands of Tesla GPUs in the basement doing all AI training, neither they have years of AI development like Nvidia has.

The console market is absurdly large so there may be an AMD alternative. Will it be this good remains to be seen.
__________________
Turbos on an engine is God's way of telling you it ain't got enough cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16-07-20, 07:33 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 18,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It will be hard to make 3rd party software that does it on both AMD and Nvidia cards. It will be either-or. This is a hardware-specific feature. Tensor cores are doing all the AI stuff locally on GPU die. AMD cards won't have that on their dies. And I don't think that stream cores can do all that math efficiently.

Consoles would kill for this feature, but we need to see what will AMD do. They don't have hundreds of thousands of Tesla GPUs in the basement doing all AI training, neither they have years of AI development like Nvidia has.

The console market is absurdly large so there may be an AMD alternative. Will it be this good remains to be seen.
There has been a version of DLSS which didn't use Tensor cores, I believe the original release of Control used that version. There is definitely a way that similar feats to this can be done with more generic compute, and you can be sure that RDNA 2 will contain some new AI-ish features. The Xbox Series X does IIRC.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16-07-20, 09:44 AM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
There has been a version of DLSS which didn't use Tensor cores, I believe the original release of Control used that version. There is definitely a way that similar feats to this can be done with more generic compute, and you can be sure that RDNA 2 will contain some new AI-ish features. The Xbox Series X does IIRC.
Yes, it did use regular cores but they didn't have enough umpf to give proper performance bump. Maybe with some future releases but the way things are going now both DLSS and alternatives, as well as RT, will be processed on dedicated pieces of silicon. So... There will probably be a red and green version of everything.
__________________
Turbos on an engine is God's way of telling you it ain't got enough cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-07-20, 09:55 AM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,857
Wow, DLSS looks fantastic here.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.