Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-03-20, 05:25 PM
News Guru

Intel gets honest about 10nm; it will be less profitable than 22nm

10nm isn't going to be Intel's best node...

Read more about Intel being honest about its 10nm node.

Old 04-03-20, 06:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Just makes AMD and Jim Keller look even more impressive IMO.

Old 04-03-20, 06:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Just makes AMD and Jim Keller look even more impressive IMO.
This has more to due to fabs than Intel vs AMD. This is just a pure mess up on Intel. They have spent so much money on time they cannot possibly make as much money as they wanted. It is a very bad ROI for them.
Old 04-03-20, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
This has more to due to fabs than Intel vs AMD. This is just a pure mess up on Intel. They have spent so much money on time they cannot possibly make as much money as they wanted. It is a very bad ROI for them.
It's a combination of everything dude. The whole architecture is a huge problem for Intel. AMD have shrunk what? twice? in just over a year? That's pretty incredible really and really says something for their whole design and architecture.

There's a reason why they hired Keller..... (Intel I mean).

I suspected clock speeds was their Achilles heel, and the facts seem to bolster that.

It's kinda funny that once AMD get to Zen 3 Intel are going to be in the dust somewhere.

Old 05-03-20, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to grassman
Exactly, If Zen never released we would already have desktop 10nm parts the top end consumer part would be a 4 core 8 thread i7 at 4ghz or so.
Old 05-03-20, 08:21 AM
OC3D Elite

The worry I see in the future now though is with Intel stagnant, AMD will surely rise and dominate. However, if there is no pressure or competition from Intel, then AMD will no longer feel obliged to push the limits of Zen, so our market will once again be incremental increases per generation. Only this time it is AMD with all the cards in hand.

As much as we all dislike Intel's practises. We cannot dispute that their architecture was good (excluding security flaws). We need Intel to continue their push for market domination in order to keep all parties competing.
Old 05-03-20, 03:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
The worry I see in the future now though is with Intel stagnant, AMD will surely rise and dominate. However, if there is no pressure or competition from Intel, then AMD will no longer feel obliged to push the limits of Zen, so our market will once again be incremental increases per generation. Only this time it is AMD with all the cards in hand.

As much as we all dislike Intel's practises. We cannot dispute that their architecture was good (excluding security flaws). We need Intel to continue their push for market domination in order to keep all parties competing.
Intel can afford this stagnation AMD can't. AMD just cannot sit and enjoy. They have made a scratch in Intel's armor and provoked a response other than "increase prices". Intel will be back firing from all guns and for that moment AMD needs to be as far as they can with their development. There won't be a stagnation from AMD.

Intel is still ruling the mobile market. And with the recent price drop in the server market, Intel is still a really good option. Even though Intel is still a bit more expensive in price/core(performance) you still get Intel support staff with their products. And in the server market that is worth your weight in gold.

Who will win in the next 2-5 years it really doesn't matter. What matters is that there is progress, and you have a choice. 3 years ago you didn't. We were stuck on 4 cores for mainstream for almost a decade, and we would be still if not for AMD. Because of AMD we now have 16 cores on the mainstream platform in just 2 years. And pretty much infinite cores on HEDT. All applications are getting reworked for muli-core support because of AMD. Intel is dropping prices because of AMD that alone is the miracle.
Old 05-03-20, 04:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post

To be honest the software desktop market has a lot of catching up to do before any of that will be a problem.

Of course during this time Intel need to remain competitive, and they have already dropped prices. Nothing AMD do will ever make Intel go away. Ever. So there will be competition there at least until Intel scrap their current tech and move on and I can't see them doing that any time soon. So they may have to increase socket sizes in desktop boards to fit more cores, but at the end of the day they'll do what they have to.

What I am saying is I can't see any of us saying "Oh crap 16 cores is not enough I need more in a desktop board now !" for a very long time.

The consoles have what? 8 CPU cores? then that is what you will need for gaming until the next gen 5 years or so from now.

Old 05-03-20, 04:21 PM

I'd agree on the core side of things I felt 8c/16t is plenty is why I got first gen ryzen it's enough i feel and it was a far cheaper upgrade.

I think Intel is going to be fine long term, the issue I feel in mainly the consumer side of the market is AMD are selling chips gaining share and Idk about most people maybe I'm wrong but in my own view when you upgrade it's for the next serveral years waiting for the performance leap. So regardless of how either of the companies stay comeptitive once sales are made them users wont generally upgrade for 4 years, unless they are always upgrading and sell on old hardware sooner.

I think where Intels biggest issues are isn't the CPU side that will bounce back sooner, but there current efforts on GPU side I'm unsure about seems longer away before they are in line with nvidia or amd they have the resources to bring something good out just not sure the implementation will be anything decent for a long time.
Old 05-03-20, 04:27 PM
OC3D Elite

CPUs have never really been interesting since GPUs got stupid powerful many years ago.

Like back in the mid to late 90s when the MMX technology came out when supported it was much faster than a regular Pentium in games, but since then no tech on CPUs has really helped games apart from just usual CPU improvements.

It's only recently 4 cores aren't enough for high end gaming any more. That was a standard for over a decade though.

But yeah, 8 cores is more than enough for now and you can get them really cheap. Esp something like a Ryzen 1700.