Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-10-19, 02:33 PM
News Guru

Sony reveals more about its PlayStation 5 console - No Codenames, its PS5

Expect upgrades over PS4 on both a software and hardware level.

Read more about Sony's PlayStation 5 console.

Old 08-10-19, 02:40 PM

At least with backwards compatability, you have a ready made catalogue of games. So if devs created games with this in mind, games that struggled could get a new lease of life on the PS5.

I just hope that the DS4 works with it.
Old 08-10-19, 02:45 PM

We should expect RDNA2 Desktop GPUs show up a couple of months before Scarlett and PS5 launch then.
Old 08-10-19, 03:09 PM
AMD Enthusiast

4k Blu Ray player? And to think I was going to get one soon. Might just hold off now.

I like what they have confirmed so far, however I do wish they would extend HDR support, resolution support, adaptive sync support, and a controller that doesn't break after 18 months.
Old 08-10-19, 03:12 PM

"how SSD storage eliminates the need for data duplication"

Go on, I'm keen to hear this one, sounds like BS to me.
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M, Memory: 32 GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200Mhz, Graphics Card: Asus ROG 2080 ti, Hard Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H115i Pro, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: Asus ROG PG348Q 34" 21:9, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Old 08-10-19, 06:51 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
"how SSD storage eliminates the need for data duplication"

Go on, I'm keen to hear this one, sounds like BS to me.
Basically, on disks and on HDDs data can be written in such a way that it can be read faster. IE, placing data in a line so that it can be read sequentially more often. This is more common on disks than it is in HDDs.

Every time the read head has to move in a hard drive, additional latency is added into the mix. Some common data can be written in several places to help prevent too much head jumping. Obviously this phenomenon isn't a thing with SSDs, as there is no read/write head to jump around.

Having data on several spots on a disk was a very common thing in the era of disk-based consoles. Haven't really heard it said about HDDs until today, from what Wired had to say about the PS5 based on what Sony told them.
Old 09-10-19, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Basically, on disks and on HDDs data can be written in such a way that it can be read faster. IE, placing data in a line so that it can be read sequentially more often. This is more common on disks than it is in HDDs.

Every time the read head has to move in a hard drive, additional latency is added into the mix. Some common data can be written in several places to help prevent too much head jumping. Obviously this phenomenon isn't a thing with SSDs, as there is no read/write head to jump around.

Having data on several spots on a disk was a very common thing in the era of disk-based consoles. Haven't really heard it said about HDDs until today, from what Wired had to say about the PS5 based on what Sony told them.
Yup this is correct, random access or seeking is extremely slow for HDDs due to the mechanical head. It's common to arrange streaming data so that chunks are read without seeking, this often requires some level of data duplication.
Old 09-10-19, 02:18 PM
Resident Newb

If the PS5 really does have backwards compatibility then I'll be picking one up as I still haven't played Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered etc... and AFAIR some Sony game dev said previous gen games would get a slight res and FPS boost on new hardware even without a game specific patch, Not forgetting to mention the hugely improved loading times thanks to finally moving on from Sata 2 type speeds.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -