Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-10-19, 09:33 AM
News Guru

How Valve's updated Steam Distribution Agreement prevented a longer RDR2 delay

There's a reason why the delay was for one month.

Read more about how Valve prevented a longer Steam delay for Red Dead Redemption 2.

Old 07-10-19, 11:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Everyone so quick to slam Epic but still fail to see the greed from Valve.

Its basically saying either you give us our 30% cut or don't bother launching on our platform ever. This is bullying.

Everyone knows most sales will come from Steam, and Valve know it, so in doing this agreement its passively forcing them to comply.

I hope for Rockstar sake that everyone goes via their own platform and give Valve a middle finger. Sadly we know there are too many Steam cry babies who don't like change.
Old 07-10-19, 12:23 PM

The war is heating up. I wonder how this will play in the long run. Sure, Valve still has enough power to push publishers around like this, but if anyone decides to not appear on Steam, will Valve truly be willing to give up on that game for good?
Old 07-10-19, 12:34 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
The war is heating up. I wonder how this will play in the long run. Sure, Valve still has enough power to push publishers around like this, but if anyone decides to not appear on Steam, will Valve truly be willing to give up on that game for good?
I'm wondering how long it takes for Valve to start making exceptions. Destiny 2 would not be on Steam now if this policy was enacted earlier this year.
Old 07-10-19, 01:35 PM
OC3D Crew

Anyone who see's Gabe Newell or Valve as the good guys in PC gaming is seriously deluded. All we have here is a business that has operated a monopoly for the last 2 decades trying not to lose it.
Its too late for Valve now, whilst I hate having to open so many different programmes to get to my games, I do despise valve though for the way they have handled everything.
Old 07-10-19, 04:30 PM

I see it as; they have to pay a premium because they get access to a major market to sell their goods.

I personally don't want 7+ damn launchers on my machine and that while their platforms are inferior and nor do I want to keep re-adding friends on new platforms. Imagine having to use more than one twitter or facebook, imagine using 7+ of those?

No thank you. I would rather stick to Steam, even if I had to wait 1 year later. I still haven't bought new releases from companies that tried to force my hand to another platform. If devs asked nicely, maybe, but they don't, EVERYONE here is greedy, that includes Valve. If you have a better product, that will be used instead of others. That is, if you are not a fanboy, or have misplaced loyalty. Launch all titles on every platform at the same time, may the best man win.

It's customers that are ultimately getting screwed here at the moment.
Old 07-10-19, 04:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy-ZA View Post
I see it as; they have to pay a premium because they get access to a major market to sell their goods.

I personally don't want 7+ damn launchers on my machine and that while their platforms are inferior and nor do I want to keep re-adding friends on new platforms. Imagine having to use more than one twitter or facebook, imagine using 7+ of those?

No thank you. I would rather stick to Steam, even if I had to wait 1 year later. I still haven't bought new releases from companies that tried to force my hand to another platform. If devs asked nicely, maybe, but they don't, EVERYONE here is greedy, that includes Valve. If you have a better product, that will be used instead of others. That is, if you are not a fanboy, or have misplaced loyalty. Launch all titles on every platform at the same time, may the best man win.

It's customers that are ultimately getting screwed here at the moment.

Could not have said better myself!
I don't like Epics tactics, i don't like Valve's greed and lazy attitude but i also hate having multiple launchers, accounts and stuff to remember, so i keep to steam when i can and don't mind waiting a year for a game to get on there, got plenty other things to do.
Old 07-10-19, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Could not have said better myself!
I don't like Epics tactics, i don't like Valve's greed and lazy attitude but i also hate having multiple launchers, accounts and stuff to remember, so i keep to steam when i can and don't mind waiting a year for a game to get on there, got plenty other things to do.
Yep, lots of things to keep oneself busy with and usually, by playing those games at a later date, a new generation of GPU or CPU launched that makes me get higher FPS too.

Next year 7nm nVidia cards with RTX? Yes please, will go nicely with the delayed titles.
Old 07-10-19, 07:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Guys can you actually point to any moral reason you object to exclusivity in this case, or is it just that you don't like using multiple launchers?(Which by the way can be easily subverted using Steam's custom shortcut functionality or software like GoG Galaxy 2) Product exclusivity exists in essentially every market ancient or modern and at no point should you ever feel entitled to be able to buy a product in a place the creator of that product specifically wishes to avoid sale through due to disputes regarding the sellers cut. Giving developers and indeed any artist or producer the ability to bargain with their distributors or contractors, and exclude distributors who attempt to push them into uneven deals they don't agree with, is fundamental to the operation of any free market. The risk that companies can choose to turn Valve down whenever and however they like is the only thing stopping Valve from saying they want 40%, 50%, 60%, ect, and if developers feel that in an unregulated platform like the PC where other options are available and Valve doesn't have the predominant upkeep costs(Unlike consoles or smartphone stores where the store cut maintains an OS or hardware platform) 30% is too big of a cut then they should be able to exercise their right to bargain with Valve. Attempting to attack developers, artists, manufacturers, publishers, ect for choosing not to accept what they deem to be unfair distribution deals is the pinnacle of customer entitlement imo.
Old 07-10-19, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Guys can you actually point to any moral reason you object to exclusivity in this case
Consumers should always have a choice. It's not like the publishers will go bankrupt by allowing consumers to pick their platform. They'll make their money. It's the least they can do. Now, I don't have a problem with Rockstar's launcher. I used it for GTA V and I'll use it for RDR2. I would have a problem if it were exclusive to Rockstar launcher forever. The same is true for Epic. I don't have a problem with its existence or even with using it. My problem with Epic is that they are catering to publishers and developers by forcing consumers to buy from them exclusively. Their business model is based on being anti-consumer. That shouldn't be supported by any gamer.