Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-07-19, 10:27 AM
News Guru

Team Group reveals their T-Force Cardea Liquid series of M.2 SSDs - Just Add Water

Liquid cooling, but not the way you expect it.

Read more about Team Group Cardea Liquid series of water cooled SSDs.

Old 27-07-19, 02:13 PM
OC3D Crew

My main concern here is the lack of heat dissipation since it has no fins or connection to a radiator. Granted the coolant will run cooler than just under air alone to begin with; but over time I think it will fall foul as the liquid heats up depending on the drive's usage.
Old 27-07-19, 03:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I mean at that point I would probably just want a dedicated water block in a loop if i wanted to go that far. Though pretty sure there are no companies doing that.
Old 29-07-19, 12:14 AM
OC3D Elite

It might be interesting to see how this compares to a standard clamp-on heatsink, but it doesn't tickle me much either.

Old 29-07-19, 06:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Do stick on heatsinks really improve performance that much on these drives?

Mine is watercooled via the CPU waterblock. I tested it once with and without the cooling block and saw 0 improvement.

Maybe not the most analytical of tests but 1 day of temps and speed performance tests with the waterblock, and then 1 day without. No difference :S

Unless perhaps having a complete custom loop in the case helps keep dumped heat outside the case helped performance anyway?
Old 29-07-19, 01:10 PM
OC3D Crew

I must have my science on backwards.
Surely this will insulate instead of dissipating no?
Old 29-07-19, 01:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Depends on what's on the outside, water has a thermal conductivity of ~0.6W/mK, glass about 0.8, with plastics varying from 0.2-0.5. So if it's glass there shouldn't be much realistic build up of heat past a point, if it's plastic there will be a bit of build up but it still will take heat not too much worse than water does. But given M.2 slots are limited to 7W of power(Practically a thin small flat plate of metal would be enough of a heatsink here), and water has a thermal capacity of 420J/100ml, even at the max 7W you'd get a minute between each 1 degree celsius rise at full power if there it were 100ml and there was no dissipation through the exterior, so even if it's like 25ml it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway 99% of the time.
Old 30-07-19, 04:14 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Depends on what's on the outside, water has a thermal conductivity of ~0.6W/mK, glass about 0.8, with plastics varying from 0.2-0.5. So if it's glass there shouldn't be much realistic build up of heat past a point, if it's plastic there will be a bit of build up but it still will take heat not too much worse than water does. But given M.2 slots are limited to 7W of power(Practically a thin small flat plate of metal would be enough of a heatsink here), and water has a thermal capacity of 420J/100ml, even at the max 7W you'd get a minute between each 1 degree celsius rise at full power if there it were 100ml and there was no dissipation through the exterior, so even if it's like 25ml it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway 99% of the time.
Good answer, thank you sir.
I had visons of someone benching one of these for hours on end in a closed rig and boiling the water inside (which I suppose is a possibility but so is getting struck by lightning twice whilst going to collect your jackpot winning lottery ticket). I thought that these pushed out more than 7 watts tbh, should have checked that really.... takes a long time to boil water at 7 watts in a fully insulated environment, let alone in this situation.
Old 31-07-19, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I mean at that point I would probably just want a dedicated water block in a loop if i wanted to go that far. Though pretty sure there are no companies doing that.
Google and you shall receive...
https://modmymods.com/aquacomputer-k...ock-53328.html

I think I have seen ones that fit on the regular motherboard M.2 slots but I don't know how useful they would be given that most M.2 slots sit under the PCIe slots. :\
Old 31-07-19, 06:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
Google and you shall receive...
https://modmymods.com/aquacomputer-k...ock-53328.html

I think I have seen ones that fit on the regular motherboard M.2 slots but I don't know how useful they would be given that most M.2 slots sit under the PCIe slots. :\
Yeah that requires a PCI slot instead of the normal M.2, so in my case with ITX not useful since it has a GPU already. But like you said probably not useful since the GPU would crowd it in normal ATX builds. Probably only useful in the top slot M.2 in between the CPU and GPU.