Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-06-19, 07:03 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,255
LG reveals the world's first 1ms IPS gaming displays

LG's Nano IPS tech is now as fast as TN.



Read more about LG's 1ms IPS Gaming Displays.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-19, 08:01 PM
WillSK's Avatar
WillSK WillSK is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Finally an HDR, GSync, IPS display with high refresh rate and at 1440p. It's been so annoying seeing all the top tier HDR Gsync displays released at 4k
__________________
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS RoG Gene VIII, Intel i5 6600K 4.5Ghz, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Kingston Hyper X Fury 480GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Corsair AX760w
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-19, 08:03 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Finally an HDR, GSync, IPS display with high refresh rate and at 1440p. It's been so annoying seeing all the top tier HDR Gsync displays released at 4k
To be fair, the levels of HDR that these screens offer aren't that impressive.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-19, 09:05 PM
WillSK's Avatar
WillSK WillSK is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
To be fair, the levels of HDR that these screens offer aren't that impressive.
Yeah I guess until we have a QLED(or equivalent), OLED or MicroLED monitor it's always going to be a little disappointing.

I guess my main point is that nearly all the state of the art monitors coming out now are 4k. 1440p seems to get neglected but imo is still the sweet spot even for those on v high performance systems.
__________________
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS RoG Gene VIII, Intel i5 6600K 4.5Ghz, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Kingston Hyper X Fury 480GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Corsair AX760w
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-19, 10:04 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,864
Wish it was a VA panel. They are better than IPS. Better contrast which is critical to HDR.
Personally I find VA to be better in my viewing experience.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-19, 08:48 AM
MiNo MiNo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denmark
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Yeah I guess until we have a QLED(or equivalent), OLED or MicroLED monitor it's always going to be a little disappointing.

I guess my main point is that nearly all the state of the art monitors coming out now are 4k. 1440p seems to get neglected but imo is still the sweet spot even for those on v high performance systems.

Getting people into 4K is a sure way to make them spend $1000+ on new graphics cards also (or a few of them).



Once you go 100+ FPS you don't go back, so it's all 1440p for me also.


I could only be tempted by a to buy a new monitor if a OLED version came out. Playing mostly in the dark, I'd really REALLY love for black to be black and not grayish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-19, 08:52 AM
Excalabur50's Avatar
Excalabur50 Excalabur50 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,153
Whilst this is great I think they're going to be stupidly expensive and like everything else will take forever to come to Australia
__________________
DRAGON'S MIST
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-19, 12:11 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
Getting people into 4K is a sure way to make them spend $1000+ on new graphics cards also (or a few of them).



Once you go 100+ FPS you don't go back, so it's all 1440p for me also.
To be fair I think you could say 4K is "more mainstream" than 1440p nowadays. Not in the PC space specifically, but 4K is now standard-tier for multimedia, most TV receivers/set top boxes made and given out for free for the last few years now have been 4K ready, while you've been able to buy 4K smart TV's in the £300 price range for years too. Now we have gaming consoles in that price range that can do 4K and while not always "true" 4K gives a huge perceivable jump over 1080p.

Whether you buy 4K for your PC atm basically depends on whether or not you play more games than watch films, but I think the fact that 4K is almost more common in console gaming than PC gaming now says a lot about the need for and value of faux-4K techniques in the PC space so that people can keep their 100+Hz refresh rates while using mainstream media formats.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-19, 12:14 PM
Warchild Warchild is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
To be fair I think you could say 4K is "more mainstream" than 1440p nowadays. Not in the PC space specifically, but 4K is now standard-tier for multimedia, most TV receivers/set top boxes made and given out for free for the last few years now have been 4K ready, while you've been able to buy 4K smart TV's in the £300 price range for years too. Now we have gaming consoles in that price range that can do 4K and while not always "true" 4K gives a huge perceivable jump over 1080p.

Whether you buy 4K for your PC atm basically depends on whether or not you play more games than watch films, but I think the fact that 4K is almost more common in console gaming than PC gaming now says a lot about the need for and value of faux-4K techniques in the PC space.
Well I still think 4k for PC is an exception to the mainstream debate. Since we are then talking about viewing angles, Gsync/freesync, g2g time, input lag, UMBL etc etc

I don't think 4k is mainstream for PC ... yet. We do see IPS being adopted more readily now without the hefty cost it once had.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-19, 12:18 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,128
Yeah, though I think the reasons are more because of periphery technical limitations (No cable can really do 4k above 60Hz properly and no GPU can really push games that far without compromises on either part), combined with Windows' terrible scaling on smaller displays, than any limitations induced by the panel technology, price, or market desire, now that to many people 4K is no longer exotic, and generally 4K devices come at the same price as 1080p devices 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.