Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-06-19, 07:03 PM
News Guru

LG reveals the world's first 1ms IPS gaming displays

LG's Nano IPS tech is now as fast as TN.

Read more about LG's 1ms IPS Gaming Displays.

Old 11-06-19, 08:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Finally an HDR, GSync, IPS display with high refresh rate and at 1440p. It's been so annoying seeing all the top tier HDR Gsync displays released at 4k
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS RoG Gene VIII, Intel i5 6600K 4.5Ghz, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Kingston Hyper X Fury 480GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Corsair AX760w
Old 11-06-19, 08:03 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Finally an HDR, GSync, IPS display with high refresh rate and at 1440p. It's been so annoying seeing all the top tier HDR Gsync displays released at 4k
To be fair, the levels of HDR that these screens offer aren't that impressive.
Old 11-06-19, 09:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
To be fair, the levels of HDR that these screens offer aren't that impressive.
Yeah I guess until we have a QLED(or equivalent), OLED or MicroLED monitor it's always going to be a little disappointing.

I guess my main point is that nearly all the state of the art monitors coming out now are 4k. 1440p seems to get neglected but imo is still the sweet spot even for those on v high performance systems.
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS RoG Gene VIII, Intel i5 6600K 4.5Ghz, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Kingston Hyper X Fury 480GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Corsair AX760w
Old 11-06-19, 10:04 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Wish it was a VA panel. They are better than IPS. Better contrast which is critical to HDR.
Personally I find VA to be better in my viewing experience.
Old 12-06-19, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSK View Post
Yeah I guess until we have a QLED(or equivalent), OLED or MicroLED monitor it's always going to be a little disappointing.

I guess my main point is that nearly all the state of the art monitors coming out now are 4k. 1440p seems to get neglected but imo is still the sweet spot even for those on v high performance systems.

Getting people into 4K is a sure way to make them spend $1000+ on new graphics cards also (or a few of them).

Once you go 100+ FPS you don't go back, so it's all 1440p for me also.

I could only be tempted by a to buy a new monitor if a OLED version came out. Playing mostly in the dark, I'd really REALLY love for black to be black and not grayish.
Old 12-06-19, 08:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Whilst this is great I think they're going to be stupidly expensive and like everything else will take forever to come to Australia
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 12-06-19, 12:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
Getting people into 4K is a sure way to make them spend $1000+ on new graphics cards also (or a few of them).

Once you go 100+ FPS you don't go back, so it's all 1440p for me also.
To be fair I think you could say 4K is "more mainstream" than 1440p nowadays. Not in the PC space specifically, but 4K is now standard-tier for multimedia, most TV receivers/set top boxes made and given out for free for the last few years now have been 4K ready, while you've been able to buy 4K smart TV's in the £300 price range for years too. Now we have gaming consoles in that price range that can do 4K and while not always "true" 4K gives a huge perceivable jump over 1080p.

Whether you buy 4K for your PC atm basically depends on whether or not you play more games than watch films, but I think the fact that 4K is almost more common in console gaming than PC gaming now says a lot about the need for and value of faux-4K techniques in the PC space so that people can keep their 100+Hz refresh rates while using mainstream media formats.
Old 12-06-19, 12:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
To be fair I think you could say 4K is "more mainstream" than 1440p nowadays. Not in the PC space specifically, but 4K is now standard-tier for multimedia, most TV receivers/set top boxes made and given out for free for the last few years now have been 4K ready, while you've been able to buy 4K smart TV's in the £300 price range for years too. Now we have gaming consoles in that price range that can do 4K and while not always "true" 4K gives a huge perceivable jump over 1080p.

Whether you buy 4K for your PC atm basically depends on whether or not you play more games than watch films, but I think the fact that 4K is almost more common in console gaming than PC gaming now says a lot about the need for and value of faux-4K techniques in the PC space.
Well I still think 4k for PC is an exception to the mainstream debate. Since we are then talking about viewing angles, Gsync/freesync, g2g time, input lag, UMBL etc etc

I don't think 4k is mainstream for PC ... yet. We do see IPS being adopted more readily now without the hefty cost it once had.
Old 12-06-19, 12:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, though I think the reasons are more because of periphery technical limitations (No cable can really do 4k above 60Hz properly and no GPU can really push games that far without compromises on either part), combined with Windows' terrible scaling on smaller displays, than any limitations induced by the panel technology, price, or market desire, now that to many people 4K is no longer exotic, and generally 4K devices come at the same price as 1080p devices 5 years ago.