Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 24-05-19, 11:43 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,427
Nvidia hopes to block AMD's RX 3080 with a new Trademark

All the numbers are belong to Jensen!



Read more about Nvidia's trademarks for the numbers 3080, 4080 and 5080.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-05-19, 11:53 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,975
I don't think you can claim numbers as a trademark?
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-05-19, 12:09 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I don't think you can claim numbers as a trademark?
Depends on how specific the trademark is. Nvidia is making no claims to the numbers outside of the graphics card market.

These trademarks are pending, so there is a good chance that they will be denied. That said, the applications alone may be enough to deter AMD from using the rumoured RX 3080 name.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-05-19, 12:29 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,975
Just call it RX3085
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-05-19, 01:34 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Just call it RX3085
I think it is logical where AMD needs to go next. There is a clear pattern (don't worry, there is no pattern)

- HD 7970
- R9 290X
- R9 Fury X
- RX 480
- RX 580
- RX Vega 64
- RX 590 (Polaris Strikes Back, again)
- Radeon VII
- ???

Way to give yourself a consistent brand image AMD... I can see why they abandoned HD, as resolutions beyond full HD were starting to come into vogue, but they just seemed the hate the idea of consistent branding. Then again, I guess Nvidia is doing the same with RTX.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-05-19, 03:52 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,975
Yeah computer companies tend to have awful branding. Outside ROG which is probably the most consistent off the top of my head, monitor companies(TV as well) have the most absurd product names
"Hey I'd like to buy a 27inch gaming monitor"
"Oh that's great, would you like the 27ighjlu450, the 27uhd450lx, or the 27qhdwdpx"
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-05-19, 10:05 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah computer companies tend to have awful branding. Outside ROG which is probably the most consistent off the top of my head, monitor companies(TV as well) have the most absurd product names
"Hey I'd like to buy a 27inch gaming monitor"
"Oh that's great, would you like the 27ighjlu450, the 27uhd450lx, or the 27qhdwdpx"
Haha yeah with LG being one of the worst lol...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-05-19, 03:00 PM
semitope semitope is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I think it is logical where AMD needs to go next. There is a clear pattern (don't worry, there is no pattern)

- HD 7970
- R9 290X
- R9 Fury X
- RX 480
- RX 580
- RX Vega 64
- RX 590 (Polaris Strikes Back, again)
- Radeon VII
- ???

Way to give yourself a consistent brand image AMD... I can see why they abandoned HD, as resolutions beyond full HD were starting to come into vogue, but they just seemed the hate the idea of consistent branding. Then again, I guess Nvidia is doing the same with RTX.
really only need to be consistent within generations. Sometimes its a good idea to change things up to seem newer and more advanced.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-05-19, 08:22 PM
cooperman's Avatar
cooperman cooperman is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK/west-mids
Posts: 728
rx SUPER 3080 ?
__________________
i5 4690-Gigabyte Z97P-D3-16Gbs 1866Mhz Kinston HyperX Fury Black-Asus GTX 980 Corsair h80i-sandisk 256gb ultra plus-250gb Intel SSD-WD Blue 500gb-Seasonic M12-620w-Cooler master haf xb.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-05-19, 08:58 PM
ET3D ET3D is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
As for the 3080 etc. names, they have never been confirmed. It's rather silly to think that a person would be drawn to an X370 over a Z270, because I can't see people basing their CPU brand decision on the motherboard's number, and AMD's main product, which is its CPUs, didn't have naming which tried to compete with Intel's, even if it emulated them in some ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I think it is logical where AMD needs to go next. There is a clear pattern
The only reason you don't see a pattern is that you look at only a small sample of cards.

Most AMD cards follow a simple pattern, even if AMD did switch it between the 7000 and 200 families. The only outliers are the the high end cards, and I suppose that AMD simply realised that buyers of such cards have more understanding of what they buy, and therefore care less about the names, and that they might even appreciate or be drawn to distinct names.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.