Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-05-19, 04:09 PM
News Guru

Intel drivers reveal 400-series Chipset for Comet Lake processors

A new chipset is coming?

Read more about Intel's leaked 400-series Chipset.

Old 09-05-19, 04:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Hey with PCI-E 4.0 around the door there might be a purpose other than preventing backwards compatibility with this one!
Old 09-05-19, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

It's hardly surprising that a new chipset and therefore a new motherboard would be required for Intel's next range.

Whilst yes I could say it's typical old Intel being greedy and money grabbing, I will withhold judgement until we see what comes with the chipset.

As it is, if AMD and the Ryzen 3000 series can give me the same or within 5% gaming performance of Intel then my next CPU will be a Ryzen for my main machine, but if it can't then I will stick with my 7700K.
Old 09-05-19, 05:04 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
It's hardly surprising that a new chipset and therefore a new motherboard would be required for Intel's next range.

Whilst yes I could say it's typical old Intel being greedy and money grabbing, I will withhold judgement until we see what comes with the chipset.

As it is, if AMD and the Ryzen 3000 series can give me the same or within 5% gaming performance of Intel then my next CPU will be a Ryzen for my main machine, but if it can't then I will stick with my 7700K.

Depends on what you do, If like me you prefer high refresh rate gaming at 1080P i.e 24" 240Hz monitors, Then I highly doubt AMD will catch up to Intel anytime soon, An example is that an 8700K paired with a Radeon 7 with the 8700K at an all core boost of 4.70GHz in the opening area of the Earth zone in Destiny 2 max settings 1080P gives around 140FPS, With a Ryzen 2700X I get 70FPS in the exact same position due to being extremely CPU bound, AMD REALLY need to up their game in the single core performance area.

Old 09-05-19, 11:33 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Depends on what you do, If like me you prefer high refresh rate gaming at 1080P i.e 24" 240Hz monitors, Then I highly doubt AMD will catch up to Intel anytime soon, An example is that an 8700K paired with a Radeon 7 with the 8700K at an all core boost of 4.70GHz in the opening area of the Earth zone in Destiny 2 max settings 1080P gives around 140FPS, With a Ryzen 2700X I get 70FPS in the exact same position due to being extremely CPU bound, AMD REALLY need to up their game in the single core performance area.
That's not AMD. That's bad optimization for Ryzen architecture. They aren't that far behind.
Old 10-05-19, 07:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Sounds more like issues with Bungie not AMD.
Old 10-05-19, 01:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That's not AMD. That's bad optimization for Ryzen architecture. They aren't that far behind.
Majority of games are limited by a single thread when CPU limited, in fact Dx11 does that by design. But that should be scratched off because that's just optimisation? I doubt many care about the underlying reason for why high refresh rate gaming is better on Intel, across the board. De facto Intel spanks AMD in that particular load and it's silly to swipe it under the rug and say "well that's just optimisation, AMD is still usable!!"
Old 10-05-19, 01:28 PM
News Guru

When it comes to gaming, AMD needs to work on two things CPU-wise.

1, higher levels of single-threaded performance, for obvious reason. Higher clocks, higher IPC or both.

2, lowering memory latencies. Memory latency is the primary reason why Ryzen 2000 series CPUs are better at gaming than their 1000 series equivalents (the clock boosts also help).
Gaming benefits from getting things done quickly, so faster response times are a must.

With Zen 2 AMD is doubling their L3 cache size, which will do a lot to help with latencies, as there is physically more space to cache data on the processor. I do wonder how general memory access will work, given AMD's chiplet design.
Old 10-05-19, 01:59 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Sounds more like issues with Bungie not AMD.

Depends, A lot of games favour single core performance and some are just better coded for Intel than AMD.

Old 10-05-19, 02:26 PM
OC3D Crew

Sometimes part of it is the developer using ICC for compilation, it is a really well optimised compiler and has a lot of benefits, but often those optimisations don't carry over nearly as well on AMD hardware, though this is less of an issue with Zen.