Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-05-19, 12:04 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,648
Director pledges to redesign Sonic the Hedgehog in upcoming movie

Was that always the plan?



Read more about Sonic the Hedgehog's upcoming movie redesign.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-19, 12:56 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Saw the trailer, looks like it could be a fun family movie. Jim Carrie of course will make it successful. However that Sonic design... good lord. It's even creepy to see the human like dentals :S
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-19, 01:00 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,599
Keep it Cannon and don't take liberties with character designs, it's that simple.
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-19, 01:34 PM
Fetchez La Vache Fetchez La Vache is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: London, UK
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Keep it Cannon and don't take liberties with character designs, it's that simple.
No, just no. By this (absurd) logic we would still have to have an Adam West style Batman. An updated character design doesn't have to equal bad character design, they are not the same thing.
__________________
Enjoys granola, beard enthusiast, once owned a 780Ti for a day.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-19, 01:59 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetchez La Vache View Post
No, just no. By this (absurd) logic we would still have to have an Adam West style Batman. An updated character design doesn't have to equal bad character design, they are not the same thing.
That's not 100% is it, DC comics have changed Batmans appearance throughout issues, that is reflected in TV and movies but the Films still remain true to the character. Same goes for Dredd, Superman, Catwoman, Penguin, Joker, Spiderman (I know Marvel but still) and Spawn.

What Paramount Animation have done is changed Sonics stature and styling it's simply not the same character we've all come to know and love. It'd be like changing Mario from a short chubby plumber into a 6 foot electrician, the fans are going to go nuts.

__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-19, 02:34 PM
Fetchez La Vache Fetchez La Vache is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: London, UK
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
That's not 100% is it, DC comics have changed Batmans appearance throughout issues, that is reflected in TV and movies but the Films still remain true to the character. Same goes for Dredd, Superman, Catwoman, Penguin, Joker, Spiderman (I know Marvel but still) and Spawn.

What Paramount Animation have done is changed Sonics stature and styling it's simply not the same character we've all come to know and love. It'd be like changing Mario from a short chubby plumber into a 6 foot electrician, the fans are going to go nuts.

If you think the Danny Canon/Sly Stallone Dredd and, Halle Berry Catwomen and nipple suited George Clooney Batman are "true to their characters" then I have a bridge to sell you. The phrase "true to their characters is ultimately meaningless too. The characters can be whatever the writers/studios want them to be, they own them fans don't. Sonic to me is completely silent foot tapping figer wagging 2D cartoon, to my kids he is a slightly obnoxios 3D rendered teen that shouts "chilli dogs!"

This isn't just on Paramount animation, Sega will have signed off the design at every point which makes this "Cannon." Terrible cannon admittedly quite how they have managed to make him simultaniously too large an too small at the same time is quite a feat.

This change will ultimately fall on the poor animation and VFX guys who will have to do an incredible amount of extra work because of the poor decision making of the director and a backlash from what is a small subset of the films overall audience.
__________________
Enjoys granola, beard enthusiast, once owned a 780Ti for a day.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-19, 08:16 PM
Nine Iron Nine Iron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St Helens, Merseyside
Posts: 160
Looks like a Poundland film.
__________________
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB Corsair DDR4-3200
Gainward 1070

Samsung SM961 256GB, Intel 660P 2TB
LG BH16NS40 BD-RE
Corsair SF450
Windows 10 x64

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-19, 10:03 PM
The_Governour's Avatar
The_Governour The_Governour is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 929
The first one looked so bad..... like a carnival costume - the cheap ones. Just terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-19, 10:47 PM
Digikid Digikid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 170
I think that the newer version is WAY better. No more comically oversized hands or feet......no more "Cyclops" face. ( He has ONE eye with two retinas FFS!!! )


but once again....the whiners on the net got their way again. Crybabies.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-19, 06:08 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
I think that the newer version is WAY better. No more comically oversized hands or feet......no more "Cyclops" face. ( He has ONE eye with two retinas FFS!!! )


but once again....the whiners on the net got their way again. Crybabies.....
By that logic, lets remove the blue and the spiky hair style because god forbid, a blue hedgehog is too ridiculous.

While we are at it, lets ask Japan to change all their CGI animated anime so they dont have oversized emotional eyes on small heads.

It has nothing to do with whiners on the net. They released a trailer, the design was not well received by the public. Unlike others companies, they went back to the drawing board because its about making money. No one will go to see this if they already see the nostalgic character of their youth distorted into what you see now.

Does it make me a crybaby if I complain about the game Anthem that was released so poorly, since the rest of the world agrees it was a terrible game?

Whining is voicing inconsequential points not worthy of attention. If money and a possible future franchise is to be made, then this was worthy of attention.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.