Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-05-19, 10:25 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,029
VR Headset Specifications Showdown - Next-Gen Models Compared

Which headset comes out on top?



Have a look at our VR Headset Specifications Showdown.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-19, 10:55 AM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newbsville
Posts: 13,455
I already have a large Oculus Library so I may well get the Rift S while waiting for the actual Rift 2 to come out in a year or so.
__________________
- Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz - Asus ROG Max XI Hero -
- Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4x8GB @ 3600MHz -
- WD Black SN750 1TB - RTX 2080 Ti @ 2000/7500 -
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-19, 11:16 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I already have a large Oculus Library so I may well get the Rift S while waiting for the actual Rift 2 to come out in a year or so.
I'd read up on reviews before upgrading from the Rift to the Rift S. That said, inside out tracking will make the headset much easier to pick up and play.

I have a friend who owns a Rift, and every time we use it there is always some annoying setup issue to fix.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-19, 02:31 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I already have a large Oculus Library so I may well get the Rift S while waiting for the actual Rift 2 to come out in a year or so.
Dont. Reviews are slamming it as no where near worthy of upgrading from rift/vive. Screendoor effect hasnt improved much so they ED VR cockpits will still look poor with text unreadable at times.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-19, 09:09 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newbsville
Posts: 13,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I'd read up on reviews before upgrading from the Rift to the Rift S. That said, inside out tracking will make the headset much easier to pick up and play.

I have a friend who owns a Rift, and every time we use it there is always some annoying setup issue to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Dont. Reviews are slamming it as no where near worthy of upgrading from rift/vive. Screendoor effect hasnt improved much so they ED VR cockpits will still look poor with text unreadable at times.

Well I'm still debating what to do, Unless there's a way to get all my purchased content on the Oculus store to work with the Valve Index then I'm kind of locked into buying either the Oculus S or waiting for the CV2.
__________________
- Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz - Asus ROG Max XI Hero -
- Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4x8GB @ 3600MHz -
- WD Black SN750 1TB - RTX 2080 Ti @ 2000/7500 -
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-19, 07:33 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Well I'm still debating what to do, Unless there's a way to get all my purchased content on the Oculus store to work with the Valve Index then I'm kind of locked into buying either the Oculus S or waiting for the CV2.
But if you have the Rift why do you want the Rift S?

There is barely a reason to upgrade from the Rift.

Just check this review. Its one of many all agreeing with the same thing

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/30/re...ly-an-upgrade/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-19, 10:43 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
But if you have the Rift why do you want the Rift S?

There is barely a reason to upgrade from the Rift.

Just check this review. Its one of many all agreeing with the same thing

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/30/re...ly-an-upgrade/
I have read reviews that say that the screen is a huge improvement, with one saying that they preferred it to the HTC Vive Pro.

That said the Rift S is a mixed bag. The res boost isn't a next-gen upgrade and in some ways the new headset is a step back. I wouldn't pay full price for a new headset for what seems to be a sidegrade.

I see the Rift S as a good new entry point, rather than a Rift upgrade option.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-19, 10:47 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I have read reviews that say that the screen is a huge improvement, with one saying that they preferred it to the HTC Vive Pro.

That said the Rift S is a mixed bag. The res boost isn't a next-gen upgrade and in some ways the new headset is a step back. I wouldn't pay full price for a new headset for what seems to be a sidegrade.

I see the Rift S as a good new entry point, rather than a Rift upgrade option.
Yes, the resolution and refresh are improvements, but still minor. However in my eyes, SDE is the most important factor for immersion (Screendooreffect) and the reviews on the Rift S are saying its not been improvement that much.

That means that you may still have grainy illegible text when trying to read panels in ED for example.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-05-19, 10:59 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Yes, the resolution and refresh are improvements, but still minor. However in my eyes, SDE is the most important factor for immersion (Screendooreffect) and the reviews on the Rift S are saying its not been improvement that much.

That means that you may still have grainy illegible text when trying to read panels in ED for example.
Yeah, I have read that the text is still bad, but that the combination of the new screens (resolution, lenses and change from AMOLED to LCD) have helped to greatly reduce the screen door effect. I guess it depends on the reviewer and their thoughts on it.

TBH my thoughts on the Rift S are that it is designed to be cheap, see a few price reductions over the next few years and act as an entry-level VR device. That's where the mass market is.

Inside out tracking negates the need for lengthy and complex setup, the single 1440p screen makes the headset easier to reduce in price and if I am honest I think this device is cheaper to produce than the original Rift, hence my prediction of price decreases.

My guess is the reason why the headset if $399 ATM is because the device has some spec upgrades over the Rift, and Oculus wants to avoid the "I bought a Rift a month ago and this is cheaper with higher specs" PR disaster. Better to keep margins higher, Rift owners happy and then reduce the pricing later.

Oculus is putting VR sales quantity over quality, which TBH is what VR needs right now. We need cheaper headsets to get more gamers into the ecosystem.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.