Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 16-04-19, 04:01 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,468
Zen 2 is on consoles is going to be a Game Changer, even for PC gamers

CPU requirements for future PC gamers are going to be higher, much higher



Read more about Zen 2 coming to consoles and how that will impact PC gaming.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-04-19, 04:47 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,247
Personally I think part of this push for CPU speeds is related to the push for higher frame rates on consoles and to have fewer games CPU limited to 30fps, we've heard rumours of possible 120fps targets and now we're finally seeing TVs on the market with support and that seems to be a growing theme, while VR of course benefits from higher framerates too if they follow up PSVR or try to expand its library.

Of course they could easily achieve that and more with this big of a jump in performance and straight from launch some developers seemed to feel limited by the CPU when it came to game mechanics or AI complexity so I'm sure the CPU will be pushed in many more ways as well. If there's SMT enabled then that could lead to better 12-16 core desktop utilisation too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16-04-19, 06:20 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,008
This is how it's always been. The massive influx of power that Zen will bring will vastly open up the games able to be created on all platforms. The reach of consoles with the power of a PC will enable developers to be able to get more creative and take more risks to mold crazy ideas into games.


I personally hope they allow mouse and keyboard on Ps5 or whatever they call it. The power available will finally allow strategy games to come to console and if I can play Total War or even Civ on console, I'd sell my PC.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-04-19, 06:32 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,247
Yeah that's how it has been up until last gen when the consoles launched as essentially mid range PCs at best, past generation consoles were generally fairly beefy and unique compared to PCs of their time but last gen focussed mainly on stepping up the GPU power to modern expectations with relatively modest CPU bumps(Especially for the PS3 vs 4 which some devs felt was a bit of a step back in total possible throughput) which is why many games ended up scaled down from their earlier demos built on high spec PCs.
Of course given there weren't many options on the table for cost effective efficient high speed CPUs of any architecture last gen it's pretty obvious why the focus shifted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-04-19, 06:44 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,320
I'm really stoked for AMD and how they put up with all our mockery to turn their company around. We now look at Zen as the way forward.

Looking forward to this. Might be nice to return back to console with the next gen PS. Although I do wonder if this is the last gen we will ever see before everything is a streamed service.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16-04-19, 06:51 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I'm really stoked for AMD and how they put up with all our mockery to turn their company around. We now look at Zen as the way forward.

Looking forward to this. Might be nice to return back to console with the next gen PS. Although I do wonder if this is the last gen we will ever see before everything is a streamed service.
Well we look at it that way because Zen turned the company around lol

I don't doubt we'll have more streaming services next gen. Maybe not at launch but we'll have the download and play option soon enough as I could easily see them releasing a box that connects to the cloud and only is able to stream games. Especially because they will want to use there brand to keep Google from taking over the Cloud market with Google Stadia.

I'm also curious as to how the next gen will play out. Will we get another Pro or One X variant? Because only thing that could really improve is just more GPU power.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17-04-19, 06:34 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well we look at it that way because Zen turned the company around lol

I don't doubt we'll have more streaming services next gen. Maybe not at launch but we'll have the download and play option soon enough as I could easily see them releasing a box that connects to the cloud and only is able to stream games. Especially because they will want to use there brand to keep Google from taking over the Cloud market with Google Stadia.

I'm also curious as to how the next gen will play out. Will we get another Pro or One X variant? Because only thing that could really improve is just more GPU power.
Would love to see consoles with a customised miniature discreet GPU solution that could be upgraded later down the line.

Imagine a GPU only provided by AMD that pushes a console to the next limit. The architecture of the playstation could remain, but we could continuously see more grunt as time goes by leaving us with the option to upgrade.

Gaming wise the developers could simply provide minimum gfx for the stock playstation, but allow us to push the detail up as we add in a better gpu.

I think of it in simple terms, if we had a Rx generation. Stock PS was given a Rx570 gpu, but it allowed us to replace that and put in a Rx 580, or Rx590. Since the PS is a unified environment, it could recognise the card and set settings for more detail. No need to worry about component combinations that plague us in the PC world today.

Then again, I guess Sony would miss out on the additional profits.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17-04-19, 06:40 AM
Bagpuss Bagpuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 126
..Are those 8 Zen 2 cores with or without SMT?


..They may decide to drop SMT to keep power/thermal demands in check.


Would it be better to have 8 cores running at 3.2Ghz or 8 cores 16 threads at a lower clocks?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17-04-19, 07:45 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
..Are those 8 Zen 2 cores with or without SMT?


..They may decide to drop SMT to keep power/thermal demands in check.


Would it be better to have 8 cores running at 3.2Ghz or 8 cores 16 threads at a lower clocks?
They said 8 Zen 2 cores. Which means 16 threads.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17-04-19, 08:10 AM
Bagpuss Bagpuss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They said 8 Zen 2 cores. Which means 16 threads.

But this being a bespoke, custom version of it, that may not be the case.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.