Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-03-19, 12:11 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,229
MSI Gaming Monitor Stops a Stray Bullet and Still Works

I hope MSI doesn't start advertising this display's "bulletproof" qualities.



Read more about the MSI Gaming Monitor that Stopped a Bullet.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-19, 12:28 PM
Dark NighT's Avatar
Dark NighT Dark NighT is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,658
It's Msi, their marketing can be completely bonkers...



Tho yeah i really hope they don't let it get to their heads and run with it, it would be really silly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-19, 12:46 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
It's Msi, their marketing can be completely bonkers...



Tho yeah i really hope they don't let it get to their heads and run with it, it would be really silly.
Its the brand that plasters big dragons and flashy lights all over their product. Of course they will roll with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-19, 01:37 PM
Peace – Peace – is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 456
Are we not gonna talk about the fact that some retard fired a gun at a "party behind the street"?


While I surely am no ballistics specialist/expert, I wonder if the walls are so thin that the bullet still had so much momentum or that the walls are so thick that they managed to absorb so much momentum.
__________________
i7-4770K | AlpenfŲhn Matterhorn Pure | ASUS Z87-Pro | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS GTX1070 Strix OC 8GB | Corsair TX650M | Thermaltake Chaser A31
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-19, 02:07 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace – View Post
Are we not gonna talk about the fact that some retard fired a gun at a "party behind the street"?


While I surely am no ballistics specialist/expert, I wonder if the walls are so thin that the bullet still had so much momentum or that the walls are so thick that they managed to absorb so much momentum.
Yeah, it is a crazy thing to happen. The simple reason for that is because America.

As much as they as a nation justify their current gun laws, the idea that my house could be shot at for no reason at 4am, which could potentially kill me in my sleep, is a terrifying prospect.

Hard to know, don't know what gun was used and what state it happened in. Some states don't get that cold, so some places in the states could have very thin walls.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-19, 07:59 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace – View Post
Are we not gonna talk about the fact that some retard fired a gun at a "party behind the street"?


While I surely am no ballistics specialist/expert, I wonder if the walls are so thin that the bullet still had so much momentum or that the walls are so thick that they managed to absorb so much momentum.
You'd be very surprised how far even a small bullet such as a 9mm will penetrate walls. It'll easy go through the normal standard thickness wall.
Then a shotgun? If you ain't using a home defense round, and using normal buckshot or a slug. Yeah it'll go through the wall and pretty kill whatever is behind it.
Then a rifle? Yeah it'll go through multiple walls and kill whatever is behind it. But there's a reason why most people don't use rifles in home defense. It's lethality is way to high and without ear protection it'll definitely disorient everybody in a normal size home from sheer sound as it'll echo in the small enclosed environment.
Shotguns are most preferred.

What angers me the most is the fact that a party full of drunk people behaving irresponsibly with guns. That idiot deserves to get his license revoked. 99% of gun owners are incredibly serious and responsible. Idiots like him give us a bad name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, it is a crazy thing to happen. The simple reason for that is because America.

As much as they as a nation justify their current gun laws, the idea that my house could be shot at for no reason at 4am, which could potentially kill me in my sleep, is a terrifying prospect.

Hard to know, don't know what gun was used and what state it happened in. Some states don't get that cold, so some places in the states could have very thin walls.
As far as I can tell and know most houses everywhere have the same thickness. Gun laws are fine. It's the idiots with them that ruin everything. Even drunk you should know better not to grab a gun. It shouldn't even be accessible and insight to give you the thought of using it
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-19, 05:18 AM
Peace – Peace – is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You'd be very surprised how far even a small bullet such as a 9mm will penetrate walls. It'll easy go through the normal standard thickness wall.
Then a shotgun? If you ain't using a home defense round, and using normal buckshot or a slug. Yeah it'll go through the wall and pretty kill whatever is behind it.
Then a rifle? Yeah it'll go through multiple walls and kill whatever is behind it. But there's a reason why most people don't use rifles in home defense. It's lethality is way to high and without ear protection it'll definitely disorient everybody in a normal size home from sheer sound as it'll echo in the small enclosed environment.
Shotguns are most preferred.

What angers me the most is the fact that a party full of drunk people behaving irresponsibly with guns. That idiot deserves to get his license revoked. 99% of gun owners are incredibly serious and responsible. Idiots like him give us a bad name.

Of course ballistics in games work completely different and most of the time unrealistic to keep the balancing fine, but it's THAT hefty in reality?? I know from friends in the army that some bullets kill you with one shot in the leg, because they are so fast and therefore create such high pressure that your heart fails. Truely horrifying...


Now this guy doesn't only need to get his license revoked, he should be brought to court!!!
__________________
i7-4770K | AlpenfŲhn Matterhorn Pure | ASUS Z87-Pro | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS GTX1070 Strix OC 8GB | Corsair TX650M | Thermaltake Chaser A31
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-19, 05:57 AM
Excalabur50's Avatar
Excalabur50 Excalabur50 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,152
The moron should be charged period and well done MSI for offering a new monitor and swag, that was good of them!
__________________
DRAGON'S MIST
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-19, 06:00 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace – View Post
Of course ballistics in games work completely different and most of the time unrealistic to keep the balancing fine, but it's THAT hefty in reality?? I know from friends in the army that some bullets kill you with one shot in the leg, because they are so fast and therefore create such high pressure that your heart fails. Truely horrifying...


Now this guy doesn't only need to get his license revoked, he should be brought to court!!!
Agreed wholeheartedly bud. Can't stand people who try to give the people in power a reason to take our only defense against them away.

I should clarify, most walls are made with drywall, which isn't all that hard of a material, you can break it with our hands. So it'll go through easily. A 9mm wouldn't be able to go through a support beam AND drywall. Shotgun with birdshot, nope, anything else? Pretty much will.

Its really not horrifying. You can end people's life with your hands, heck even your fingers. Much worse things to be afraid of. If anything it should deter people from having to use it on somebody or doing something illegal to warrant somebody using it on a perpetrator.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.