Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-03-19, 08:49 PM
News Guru

Microsoft may be working on Windows Lite for Chromebook-like devices

A lightweight version of Windows 10? Where do I sign up?

Read more about Microsoft's rumoured Windows Lite OS.

Old 04-03-19, 10:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

As long as it supports DX11 games I'd be interested in switching. I never download apps from Windows store. Always get my stuff from the manufacturer of whatever it is, so if I'm still allowed to do that no reason to not have a lightweight OS.
Old 05-03-19, 08:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Windows Core OS based software isn't really something end users can be using, it's more a framework than an OS, and has to be custom built for the hardware from source. If you've got experience building up ArchLinux or Gentoo distro's or similar then that's the kind of idea,(IE it's a massive b*llache process that will likely take between hours and days depending on your hardware + experience), but of course the tools for this are meant for OEMs and as yet there's no indication there will be any user orientated tools for modifying/building WinCoreOS, and even then they'd probably be kinda messy.

Oh, and it also intentionally breaks support with past Windows versions in many aspects (Windows 10's support for legacy software is essentially 90% of the bloat as has been the case with more or less every Windows so far in a way) so things like DX11(Or at least pre-UWP APIs like DX9, which a lot of modern games still use) are a no-go permanently we can assume.

I think the intention is that WinCoreOS will eventually become their main consumer platform, since it's far more modular, cross-platform & gets rid of all the legacy mess stuff of the Windows NT based OS' we've been using for the last few decades, but obviously with business markets & gamers and stuff Windows NT is unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon.
Old 05-03-19, 08:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Fittingly, Chrome OS is based on Gentoo.
Old 05-03-19, 09:48 AM
OC3D Elite

We need the rocket team to resurface and create their stripped versions of Windows like the Xp and 7 days

Always remember watching my boot times change from 1min to 15seconds. And since they only stripped features, they were authorised to do so by Microsoft provided that no profit was gained, and a legit windows key was still required.

I even remember watching Crysis on my gpu almost playable on max settings after my "windows xp black edition" change.
Old 05-03-19, 09:56 AM
OC3D Elite

I really reccomend using NTlite (https://www.ntlite.com/) if you want stripped versions of Windows NT, you can just take the official disc images for the latest builds from Microsoft & import them, then untick all the features, apps, drivers, legacy components, software, languages ect you don't want & pre-install drivers or pre-change settings and stuff, then you can either compress the installation files so they fit on a 4GB pen drive (If you remove the upgrade from inside Windows .exe's and stuff any install should fit when compressed) or leave them fully uncompressed so they install quicker on lighter CPUs. This way you can make sure you're not stripping out components you might need, while also stripping out lots of support stuff you definitely don't need.
Old 05-03-19, 10:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I really reccomend using NTlite (https://www.ntlite.com/) if you want stripped versions of Windows NT, you can just take the official disc images for the latest builds from Microsoft & import them, then untick all the features, apps, drivers, legacy components, software, languages ect you don't want & pre-install drivers or pre-change settings and stuff, then you can either compress the installation files so they fit on a 4GB pen drive (If you remove the upgrade from inside Windows .exe's and stuff any install should fit when compressed) or leave them fully uncompressed so they install quicker on lighter CPUs. This way you can make sure you're not stripping out components you might need, while also stripping out lots of support stuff you definitely don't need.
Yeah, i honestly would love if official LITE versions of Windows OS were provided during standard installations and OEM.

I look at my w. services and see so many operations and tasks I don't need yet at times I see suddenly cumulatively take up 30% of CPU usage for a moment or two.