Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-02-19, 10:22 AM
News Guru

Ubisoft Reports Higher PC Preorders for The Division 2 Despite Skipping Steam

Ubisoft's use of Uplay and the Epic Games Store seems to be working well for them.

Read more about The Division 2's higher PC pre-orders despite their absence on Steam.

Old 15-02-19, 01:22 PM
OC3D Elite

I can see more big titles coming out and skipping steam, it will be interesting to see how long it is before steam cuts it's fee
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 15-02-19, 01:27 PM

What's the source of this news? I wanted to find out more details, but the only place I could find it was PC Gamer.

Quoting from there:

Quote:
Being on the Epic Store "really helped to actually do more of our business on our own store, and to have a better revenue per unit sold via the Epic deal," he said. "So altogether it's really helped us to go smoothly from Steam."

To me this sounds like few people want to buy the game on the Epic store, and the bulk of purchases was on Ubisoft's own store.
Old 15-02-19, 01:47 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
What's the source of this news? I wanted to find out more details, but the only place I could find it was PC Gamer.

Quoting from there:

To me this sounds like few people want to buy the game on the Epic store, and the bulk of purchases was on Ubisoft's own store.

It was said in their recent earnings call. It can be listened to here if you want.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/compan...ter/index.aspx

Regardless, Ubisoft's plans was to push gamers onto platforms that give Ubisoft a higher share of game revenue. Their plans is working.

Before Epic, how many people would swear that they'd never use Uplay? It was widely considered the worst a few months ago. This is a big turnaround.
Old 15-02-19, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Before Epic, how many people would swear that they'd never use Uplay? It was widely considered the worst a few months ago. This is a big turnaround.
So Epic managed to create a worse store, and now everyone is flocking to Ubisoft. Cool strategy.

Really, I think it would have turned out worse for Ubisoft without Epic, PR-wise. Would have been seen like EA removing its games from Steam. Of course, that did seem to work out fine for EA. People might hate EA, but enough still buy its games at Origin.
Old 15-02-19, 03:40 PM
Resident Newb

People who want to actually game will buy the game regardless, Children who like to whine will whine regardless.

Old 15-02-19, 04:04 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
So Epic managed to create a worse store, and now everyone is flocking to Ubisoft. Cool strategy.

Really, I think it would have turned out worse for Ubisoft without Epic, PR-wise. Would have been seen like EA removing its games from Steam. Of course, that did seem to work out fine for EA. People might hate EA, but enough still buy its games at Origin.
No. That's just what everyone says about every launcher other than steam despite the fact that steam is also trash
Old 15-02-19, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
No. That's just what everyone says about every launcher other than steam despite the fact that steam is also trash
It amazes me how many are so quick to trash every launcher that isnt steam. Feels like a losing battle for epic due to stubborn immaturity of the gaming community.

Ubisoft are actually supporting epic aggressive model towards rival launchers. Its in its infancy but I think it will certainly be a contender. Feels like it already is.
Old 15-02-19, 06:11 PM
AMD Enthusiast

That's because immaturity and toxicity is the PC gaming community slogan.

They claim Epic sucks because they share information. They claim this over FB, twitter, Twitch, using Google chrome to type the insults, etc. It's f* ironic. They care about Epic sharing information but not the others doing it as well. Steam shares information with Devs, devs all over the world. Nobody talks about it. They say "well Epic shares information with Tencent, Chinese investment company" yeah and Steam shares information with Ubisoft for example, a French company. What about other foreign devs? CDPR is polish, makers of Sensua Hellblade are Japanese, etc

It's dumb and stupid. It's why I haven't gamed on my PC since last August.
Old 15-02-19, 07:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Uplay is the best one out of the lot IMO. No other app offers rewards. I always end up with coins, and I can always get discounts on new games. Steam is getting too clever for its boots.

Epic? has a long way to go. Firstly there was no pre load (annoying when you only have a 20mb connection and could have left it downloading over night) but also I can't get the Metro Benchmark thing to run because it keeps coming up saying I need to launch the game through Epic. I can, but there doesn't seem to be the option to run the benchmark like that.

Which is annoying, because if I had access to it I could have done some testing before I started the game and could have easily prevented my first hour from being a stuttering mess.