Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-02-19, 10:51 AM
News Guru

ASUS GTX 1660 Ti 3GB Models Appear in EEC Listings

3GB? But this is 2019?

Read more about ASUS' GTX 1660 Ti 3GB models appearing at the ECC.

Old 14-02-19, 11:15 AM
OC3D Crew

I still use a 2GB card for gaming (HD7870XT) and I have found in the few more modern tittles I play, like Forza, it can start to cause mad stuttering and stuff after a point, to a degree where now I sometimes have to turn the render resolution down from 1080p. I guess if all you play are DX9 kinda titles though, maybe some esports games and stuff, MOBAs, CSGO and such, or I guess even well optimised titles like GTAV, you won't have an issue, but yeah you'd have to give a lot of consideration about what games you play buying a card like that today.
Old 14-02-19, 03:30 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I still use a 2GB card for gaming (HD7870XT) and I have found in the few more modern tittles I play, like Forza, it can start to cause mad stuttering and stuff after a point, to a degree where now I sometimes have to turn the render resolution down from 1080p. I guess if all you play are DX9 kinda titles though, maybe some esports games and stuff, MOBAs, CSGO and such, or I guess even well optimised titles like GTAV, you won't have an issue, but yeah you'd have to give a lot of consideration about what games you play buying a card like that today.
Exactly, I have seen similar issues in Forza and a lot of other recent releases. 2GB cards are starting to struggle.

TBH I think 3GB cards will be running into issues before too long, especially as next-gen consoles get closer. I see 3GB cards having a shorter overall lifespan than their 4GB or 6GB equivalents.
Old 14-02-19, 03:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
If you run out of VRAM it uses the paging file on your hard drive fella. Hence the stuttering.

I used to get that on my Fury X, @ 1600p. Certain games would be flying along happily at 70 FPS, then drop to the low 20s.

But yes, like global warming VRAM issues are definitely real.

Old 14-02-19, 04:18 PM
OC3D Crew

Nowadays if you have enough of it it will just revert to system memory and most games will use system memory access over PCIe for textures and stuff alongside video memory but yeah that's still a massive slow down, especially with those HBM cards or over my PCIe x1 expresscard link.