Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-02-19, 03:43 PM
News Guru

Microsoft Studios has been rebranded to Xbox Game Studios

Microsoft is intensifying its focus on gaming.

Read more about Microsoft Studios becoming Xbox Game Studios.

Old 06-02-19, 03:49 PM
OC3D Elite

now please finish of fable legends. It had promise
Old 06-02-19, 03:51 PM
OC3D Crew

I'm glad to see a continued focus on supporting PC players. While the Microsoft Store has its issues, being able to play what would once have been console exclusives on PC is nothing short of amazing for me, especially as I grew up on consoles and still have soft spots for those series. Now when are we getting a Crimson Skies remaster?
Old 06-02-19, 04:33 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiyus View Post
I'm glad to see a continued focus on supporting PC players. While the Microsoft Store has its issues, being able to play what would once have been console exclusives on PC is nothing short of amazing for me, especially as I grew up on consoles and still have soft spots for those series. Now when are we getting a Crimson Skies remaster?
Yeah, strangely enough, Forza Horizon 4 turned out to be one of my highlights of 2018, despite the fact that I don't normally like racing games. Very well built and it really captures a level of "fun factor" that I haven't had in a racing game since the PS2 era.

The Xbox Play Anywhere program is a great thing for PC gamers.
Old 06-02-19, 05:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Microsoft is intensifying its focus on gaming.
Right... So I’m not entirely sure if their store is entirely console games or not, but if they are now actually focusing on ”gaming”, then perhaps ”Microsoft Game Studios” would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

Going with ”Xbox Game Studios” sounds like they are locking it down to Xbox games only (again, as mentioned, not sure if they are solely console games or PC as well here).
Old 06-02-19, 05:46 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Right... So I’m not entirely sure if their store is entirely console games or not, but if they are now actually focusing on ”gaming”, then perhaps ”Microsoft Game Studios” would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

Going with ”Xbox Game Studios” sounds like they are locking it down to Xbox games only (again, as mentioned, not sure if they are solely console games or PC as well here).
There are many PC games but they've had the Xbox brand firmly planted in PC gaming for about 6 years now. As recently announced, Xbox is now a fully cross-platform gaming service, with the Xbox SDK supporting Switch, iOS & Android so far, besides obviously PC.

Xbox is being repositioned as a platform agnostic gaming service, with streaming to essentially any system coming this year.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 06-02-19, 05:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
There are many PC games but they've had the Xbox brand firmly planted in PC gaming for about 6 years now. As recently announced, Xbox is now a fully cross-platform gaming service, with the Xbox SDK supporting Switch, iOS & Android so far, besides obviously PC.

Xbox is being repositioned as a platform agnostic gaming service, with streaming to essentially any system coming this year.
Still IMO, seems a bit weird, since personally for me growing up the Xbox branding has always been associated with consoles. Hence they now apparently swithing/changing direction, it feels a bit weird when being so used to it being one thing.
Old 06-02-19, 06:23 PM
OC3D Crew

Yeah I'm sure to most of the market it will seem quite weird for a while, but nowadays it's the only way to make sure the brand & all of its assets besides hardware survives and generates revenue even if the hardware itself isn't selling amazingly and has slim if any margins (Kinda like the current Xbox hardware). Sony have made similar moves with PSNow too I guess but I think this is microsofts way of using the fact they technically already run two of the 3 main gaming platforms to push into pretty much everything they can and establish the brand more widely, while Sony will obviously stick to keeping their services exclusive to their hardware while they're the sales leaders.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 06-02-19, 06:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Gotta have a rebrand every now and then so marketing monkeys can justify their position.
Old 06-02-19, 09:37 PM
News Guru

Just think of Xbox and Microsoft's Gaming Brand, which is no longer exclusive to their console hardware.

All Xbox 1st party games now come to PC, making PC part of the Xbox exosystem. Microsoft plans on exploding their Xbox brand across several new platforms, with ProjectX Cloud bringing Xbox Gaming to smartphones, tablets and potentially more platforms in time.