Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 29-01-19, 11:12 AM
News Guru

Noctua Launches 2nd Generation NT-H2 Thermal Compound

Do you want some CPU wipes with that?

Read more about Noctua's 2nd Generation NT-H2 Thermal Compound and NA-CW1 cleaning wipes.

Old 29-01-19, 12:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Neither the thermal paste or the wipes are brown, Noctua is completely disregarding their brand identity!
Old 29-01-19, 10:38 PM
OC3D Elite

So how does this actually stack up against other popular TIMs such as MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?... I'm assuming the difference is marginal or next to none, amongst these tier one TIMs?
Old 29-01-19, 10:49 PM
AMD Enthusiast

There's not much separating them tbh. As long as they aren't conductive, really doesn't matter. Just a few C difference. You can do more by getting better fans and adjusting fan profiles tbh
Old 30-01-19, 07:21 AM
OC3D Crew

Good thermal paste is great for upgrading laptops where you can't change much else, when I switched this old Thinkpad to a 45W quad core i7 model(The laptop only has a 35W cooler) I used some kryonaut and it's pretty much always at full boost clocks (3Ghz) while silent & cool.
Old 30-01-19, 07:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Good thermal paste is great for upgrading laptops where you can't change much else, when I switched this old Thinkpad to a 45W quad core i7 model(The laptop only has a 35W cooler) I used some kryonaut and it's pretty much always at full boost clocks (3Ghz) while silent & cool.
Regarding Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, just to clarify here and sorry for going a bit off topic, but is it non-conductive or not? Seems to be a bit of confusion around the web on that part.
Old 30-01-19, 07:33 AM
OC3D Crew

I'm pretty sure Conductonaut their top end paste is conductive but Kryonaut isn't. I've applied it directly to my laptop CPU & external GPU's naked dies (Neither has a heatspreader) without issue. (My GPU tops out at like 63C under full load on a £30 air cooler, it's a HD7870XT but overclocked so it draws/outputs like 250W still though it is essentially open air given its a eGPU setup).
Old 30-01-19, 08:00 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I'm pretty sure Conductonaut their top end paste is conductive but Kryonaut isn't. I've applied it directly to my laptop CPU & external GPU's naked dies (Neither has a heatspreader) without issue. (My GPU tops out at like 63C under full load on a £30 air cooler, it's a HD7870XT but overclocked so it draws/outputs like 250W still though it is essentially open air given its a eGPU setup).
Alright cool, thanks for that.

On another note, regarding thermal paste (applications), what do you guys say about this?:

Old 30-01-19, 08:32 AM
OC3D Crew

I've not seen that video/product before but yeah it seems in line with expectations, thermal pads aren't usually quite as good as thermal paste because you generally end up with a thicker amount of material between the plates(Really you want just enough to fill the gaps/scratches/deformities in the metal) but if you're sloppy with the paste and lay it on thick it'd probably end up about the same. Non-conductive ones are used a lot for smaller heatsinks(Memory, SCB CPUs, chipsets and the like) because they're bound to last, and it's not rare to see these conductive ones in industry for rack mounts and stuff since it makes swapping a dead part a much quicker job but they still have to be cut down properly and everything so depends on application really.
Old 30-01-19, 08:39 AM
OC3D Elite

I'll still use paste given there is nothing really wrong with it and I change mine (well, I upgrade) about every two years lol.

Wheel and reinvent come to mind with those. I guess if you are a reviewer or have a real OCD problem (not the type people say they have but have no clue what an infliction it is !) then you would be fine with TIM.