Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 28-01-19, 03:29 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,290
Nvidia Lowers Q4 Forecast by $500 million

Q4 of 2019's fiscal year hasn't been kind to Nvidia.



Read more about Nvidia lowering their Q4 Forecast.

__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-01-19, 03:34 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,080
He stepped over the line. It's really as simple as that. Just like Apple he pushed the prices up to push the market, and found the limit.

The used market is absolutely buzzing right now with cheap cards. Why would you spend £1500 to play Battlefield 5?. Like, I could imagine them maybe pulling that off if it were an exciting new game but a sequel? £1500? no chance.

That coupled with all of the DLSS hold ups and only really Metro coming? yeah, not a good time to buy a RTX. I agree with what other places have been saying in general about the 2060. It should be £50 cheaper.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-01-19, 03:44 PM
SCO77YBOY SCO77YBOY is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
He stepped over the line. It's really as simple as that. Just like Apple he pushed the prices up to push the market, and found the limit.

The used market is absolutely buzzing right now with cheap cards. Why would you spend £1500 to play Battlefield 5?. Like, I could imagine them maybe pulling that off if it were an exciting new game but a sequel? £1500? no chance.

That coupled with all of the DLSS hold ups and only really Metro coming? yeah, not a good time to buy a RTX. I agree with what other places have been saying in general about the 2060. It should be £50 cheaper.

totally agree with you
a few of my mates have gone back to 1080p gaming from 1440p due to cost.
£1500 on a gpu is ridiculous.
( can't wait for metro but if you need an i9 and a 2080ti to play it , there having a laugh )
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-01-19, 03:53 PM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is online now
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Look Under Your Bed
Posts: 844
They screwed the pooch and now paying the price. Just not paying enough in my view.
__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-01-19, 04:58 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Under Your Bed
Posts: 13,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
He stepped over the line. It's really as simple as that. Just like Apple he pushed the prices up to push the market, and found the limit.

The used market is absolutely buzzing right now with cheap cards. Why would you spend £1500 to play Battlefield 5?. Like, I could imagine them maybe pulling that off if it were an exciting new game but a sequel? £1500? no chance.

That coupled with all of the DLSS hold ups and only really Metro coming? yeah, not a good time to buy a RTX. I agree with what other places have been saying in general about the 2060. It should be £50 cheaper.
Agree 100%.

I have no problem paying 500, 600 or even 700 for a top end GPU like the 1080 Ti, Even 999 if it's something as unique as the Star Wars Empire Titan Xp full fat card, But £1200 for a cut down card with features that aren't usable outside of 1 benchmark and 1 game with sub par gen to gen performance improvements ? Nope.

We need to go back to having 600-700 be the upper most limit for a non Titan card on the Nvidia side.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-01-19, 05:56 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 571
To be fair this is in-line with the adjusted forecasts we've also seen from Intel, Apple, TSMC, and so on in response to the same macroeconomic factors, essentially we're well past the lewis turning point in China and now they're anticipating it gonna's start biting pretty soon, even on the back of strong Q4's for many of the companies. I wouldn't expect any price or product changes as a result of this or anything like that, if you look at the Q&A portion of pretty much every tech companies financial earning announcements in the past week or two they've all been dominated by questions from investors about macroeconomic forces at play with the industry following the variety of hard hitting recent developments in world politics & economics, very few see this as a problem with the product lines, especially given the largest impacts on their stock in recent months were from fears they'd have to write off a load of low end inventory if they replaced it too quickly.
__________________
Electrical engineer with a passion for rambling.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-01-19, 07:20 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is online now
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
To be fair this is in-line with the adjusted forecasts we've also seen from Intel, Apple, TSMC, and so on in response to the same macroeconomic factors, essentially we're well past the lewis turning point in China and now they're anticipating it gonna's start biting pretty soon, even on the back of strong Q4's for many of the companies. I wouldn't expect any price or product changes as a result of this or anything like that, if you look at the Q&A portion of pretty much every tech companies financial earning announcements in the past week or two they've all been dominated by questions from investors about macroeconomic forces at play with the industry following the variety of hard hitting recent developments in world politics & economics, very few see this as a problem with the product lines, especially given the largest impacts on their stock in recent months were from fears they'd have to write off a load of low end inventory if they replaced it too quickly.
This makes sense.

But do you reckon Nvidia would have said, "weaker than forecasted sales of its Gaming and Datacenter platforms" if Turing was priced reasonably? As if to say, 'we thought people would pay £800 for an RTX 2080 but not enough did.'
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-01-19, 07:42 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 571
Notttt specifically, every company listed there has had stock hits because of *forecasts*, not performance. Most of these tech companies are altering their Q1 sales forecasts, regardless of whether they sell directly to consumers or not or how their product line is stacked, it's a reduced forecast based on reduced spending in many countries caused by said economic forces, bad product positioning doesn't usually lead to reduced forecasts this early into a products life span, much of the forecast change is probably a result of reduced Pascal sales in China & the like, it's the older inventory investors are worrying about, not the newer inventory that still has another 12 months or so of shelf life.
__________________
Electrical engineer with a passion for rambling.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-01-19, 08:00 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,075
The question I have is, will they learn from this and lower prices to sane levels? (spoiler: no.)
__________________
Asus Z370 MXH | 8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Win10 Pro x64
We call ourselves legion, for many we be. So hand me your kingdom, I'll take it from here. And dare no one break from, my circles of fear

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-01-19, 08:01 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is online now
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Notttt specifically, every company listed there has had stock hits because of *forecasts*, not performance. Most of these tech companies are altering their Q1 sales forecasts, regardless of whether they sell directly to consumers or not or how their product line is stacked, it's a reduced forecast based on reduced spending in many countries caused by said economic forces, bad product positioning doesn't usually lead to reduced forecasts this early into a products life span, much of the forecast change is probably a result of reduced Pascal sales in China & the like, it's the older inventory investors are worrying about, not the newer inventory that still has another 12 months or so of shelf life.
OK, I getcha. Thanks for explaining.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.