Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-01-19, 10:05 PM
News Guru

Phison Demos PS5016-E16 PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 SSD at CES

SSDs are already reaching the limits of PCIe 3.0.

Read more about Phison's PCIe 4.0 PS5016-E16 SSD controller and 4,800MB/s storage plans.

Old 12-01-19, 12:10 AM
AMD Enthusiast

That is just... insane. Average person won't notice a difference most likely between a 3.0 Nvme vs this.
Old 12-01-19, 10:39 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That is just... insane. Average person won't notice a difference most likely between a 3.0 Nvme vs this.
I'm inclined to agree with this. TBH, if I were to recommend anything to my friends these days it would be to use a BIG SATA SSDs, never mind an NVMe one. As a whole none of them are as enthusiastic about tech as most of forum members, so the difference is not fully appreciated.

That said, those decisions usually are based on bang per buck. Capacity in those cases typically trumps performance, as more games and applications over a slower SSD is often worth more than faster boot times.

One of my friends is finally moving away from an HDD-only system, so I'm sure he will be more than impressed by the boost offered by a normal SATA SSD
Old 12-01-19, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I'm inclined to agree with this. TBH, if I were to recommend anything to my friends these days it would be to use a BIG SATA SSDs, never mind an NVMe one. As a whole none of them are as enthusiastic about tech as most of forum members, so the difference is not fully appreciated.

That said, those decisions usually are based on bang per buck. Capacity in those cases typically trumps performance, as more games and applications over a slower SSD is often worth more than faster boot times.

One of my friends is finally moving away from an HDD-only system, so I'm sure he will be more than impressed by the boost offered by a normal SATA SSD
There's more good to moving away from spinning drives than meets the eye tbh. I removed all of mine and didn't realise how much noise and vibration they generate. Especially when you have six all humming along. It's deathly silent now. Like, other than the very gentle whoosh of the fans that is literally it, and you really have to listen to those fans to know they are even there.

The downside of course? SSDs give no warnings when they are about to die, so make sure you have a backup solution either on hand (USB 3 RAID) or a NAS or something.

Old 12-01-19, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

That's possible with 4x PCI-E 3.0 as well, but very impressive random reads/writes.
Old 12-01-19, 12:52 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
That's possible with 4x PCI-E 3.0 as well, but very impressive random reads/writes.
The maximum limit of PCIe 3.0 over x4 lanes is 3.94 GB/s. The sequential reads/writes here beat that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Old 12-01-19, 01:25 PM
OC3D Elite

This will be massive for data centres etc. Especially with lots of lanes (Epyc cough cough)