Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-01-19, 09:06 AM
News Guru

Intel's 10nm Ice Lake Processor to Release This Year with Sunny Cove Cores

We are finally moving away from Skylake!

Read more about Intel's plans to have 10nm Ice Lake "on shelves" in 2019.

Old 08-01-19, 09:50 AM
AMD Enthusiast

About time. Might be too late though if AMD launches on 7nm this year
Old 08-01-19, 09:53 AM
OC3D Elite

It is somewhat pleasing to see Intel playing catch up to a degree.
Old 08-01-19, 09:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Comparing Intel 10nm vs. AMD 7nm is pretty meaningless, between different processes more smaller doesn't necessarily equate to more better.
Old 08-01-19, 10:05 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That depends on how good Zen 2 is. Process node isn't everything. Yes, it is an advantage, but AMD needs a big jump.

Beyond that, "too late" is a bit much, Intel has enough money to rebound. They could be behind in some markets for a few quarters, but it will take ages for Intel to sustain big damages. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it didn't collapse in a day either.

There is also the fact that AMD just launches Ryzen Mobile 3000, which means that AMD won't have 7nm mobile for another year or so, which pretty much means that Intel has a solid lock on that market for the most part.
Old 08-01-19, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Lets not forget that according to Intel they launched 10nm in Q2 2018 with Cannon Lake for mobile systems, but unless you've bought the one system that shipped in(AFAIK), a variant of the NUC, you've probably never seen it.

That time around they could only cram two cores onto the silicon with no iGPU (We can assume it's a limit to allow acceptable yields), so given that Sunny Cove is a wider architecture(As are Gen11 iGPU's vs Gen10) and they're going to have to cram a GPU on the silicon this time I seriously wouldn't expect more than dual core Intel 10nm parts in 2019, maybe quad core with a small GPU, and probably mostly for NUCs and a few ultrabooks or something along those lines.

I think there's another hint in their discussion of 10nm itself, theres no mention of performance improvements from the node, only efficiency, and the same was true for OG 14nm (Non plus) vs late 22nm, where we saw Devils Canyon give us the first hint of Intel's node woes, it'll likely take a 10nm++ (Ice lake is 10+) or so before we see clock speeds reaching acceptable desktop levels and I doubt we'll see the regular 5Ghz clocks of 14nm++++(?) for a couple of years.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 08-01-19, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
That depends on how good Zen 2 is. Process node isn't everything. Yes, it is an advantage, but AMD needs a big jump.

Beyond that, "too late" is a bit much, Intel has enough money to rebound. They could be behind in some markets for a few quarters, but it will take ages for Intel to sustain big damages. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it didn't collapse in a day either.

There is also the fact that AMD just launches Ryzen Mobile 3000, which means that AMD won't have 7nm mobile for another year or so, which pretty much means that Intel has a solid lock on that market for the most part.
Launching 10nm before AMD launches 7nm on mobile doesn't mean intel have the upper hand on mobile. I'd say AMD will still be a better option just because of vega graphics built-in, and that should be true even if intel 11th gen graphics catch up to the integrated vega graphics on AMD APUs because pricing.

Intel really needs to work in pricing if they want sales, cuz I can't see myself opting for a intel powered laptop if there's an AMD equivalent with more RAM, better graphics performance and SSD storage for the same price. Just because the manufacturer had more money to put into other things since the CPU was cheaper.
Old 08-01-19, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Intels subsidies to OEMs with their mobile processor pricing does keep that market pretty wrapped up regardless of what they release to be fair.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 08-01-19, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Intel's approach works quite well for laptops - high brief turbo frequency with high efficiency at idle makes for responsive web browsing combined with decent battery life.

At least first generation of Ryzen couldn't match Intel's battery life, not even close. But it's good to have options obviously.
Old 08-01-19, 06:18 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post

I understand that. However if AMD launch 7nm first and get chips out first it'll be a bug deal and likely get the initial consumers first which will hurt Intel's initial launch sales. In Mobile if AMD also get to launch first people will definitely be interested in getting laptops with a ton of cores.