Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-01-19, 05:54 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,065
Nvidia is Supporting VESA Adaptive Sync - Except When They Don't

Nvidia is supporting VESA Adaptive Sync, but only on certified displays.



Read more about Nvidia's plans to support VESA Adaptive Sync on their terms.

__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-19, 08:42 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,517
Right, so could someone please explain to me what is different from this to their already existing G-Sync? As it sounds exactly the same to me? ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-19, 09:09 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Right, so could someone please explain to me what is different from this to their already existing G-Sync? As it sounds exactly the same to me? ...
Doesn't use Nvidia's G-Sync module. So Nvidia are basically certifying Adaptive Sync displays that are good enough to meet Nvidia's G-Sync standards while offering an on switch in the driver that should allow the others to work.

Nvidia is supporting VESA Adaptive Sync (open source FreeSync standard) in a way that says that G-Sync is better.
__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-19, 09:42 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Doesn't use Nvidia's G-Sync module. So Nvidia are basically certifying Adaptive Sync displays that are good enough to meet Nvidia's G-Sync standards while offering an on switch in the driver that should allow the others to work.

Nvidia is supporting VESA Adaptive Sync (open source FreeSync standard) in a way that says that G-Sync is better.
Right, so does this mean that future displays won’t have the G-Sync module and therefore be cheaper? Ie, not having the Nvidia/G-Sync module tax?...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-19, 10:10 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Right, so does this mean that future displays won’t have the G-Sync module and therefore be cheaper? Ie, not having the Nvidia/G-Sync module tax?...
Quote:
The certified monitors will be called ' GSYNC Compatible'.
Not sure they could put their Nvidia Tax on this. Since it looks to me like there would be no module installed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-19, 10:12 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Right, so does this mean that future displays won’t have the G-Sync module and therefore be cheaper? Ie, not having the Nvidia/G-Sync module tax?...
Yes, so soon there will be G-Sync certified displays that don't have a G-Sync module, and therefore none of the cost associated with that.

The monitors will need to support Nvidia's standards, so they will all be high-end, but they should be cheaper than displays with Nvidia's G-Sync module. It will go the way of the dodo sooner or later.
__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-19, 10:20 AM
lordkantman lordkantman is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Croatia
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Right, so does this mean that future displays won’t have the G-Sync module and therefore be cheaper? Ie, not having the Nvidia/G-Sync module tax?...

I doubt that. They will probably just support some of better a-sync displays, while still using modules on "real" g-sync ones.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-19, 10:23 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yes, so soon there will be G-Sync certified displays that don't have a G-Sync module, and therefore none of the cost associated with that.

The monitors will need to support Nvidia's standards, so they will all be high-end, but they should be cheaper than displays with Nvidia's G-Sync module. It will go the way of the dodo sooner or later.
Well this sounds like a good thing and even better for us consumers, as the monitors will be cheaper, but still be high-end.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-19, 10:36 AM
tgrech tgrech is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 405
G-Sync HDR doesn't seem to be going anywhere(It's barely actually got anywhere first mind), I doubt NVidia will be support FreeSync2 HDR anytime soon though I guess theoretically it could be possible for someone to find a work around and shoehorn it in.
__________________
Electrical engineer with a passion for rambling.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-19, 12:59 PM
demonking's Avatar
demonking demonking is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Not sure they could put their Nvidia Tax on this. Since it looks to me like there would be no module installed.
you mean like SLI? I had an MSI board with SLI actually printed on the board but the "tax" was not paid so MSI did not officially support it and could not advertise it. I can't remember the exact model but it was in the Z77 era.

This will turn into a model that could happily support it, well exceeding the requirements and Nvidia's tests but if you don't pay for their certification, well you only get adaptive sync certification.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.