Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-12-18, 09:51 AM
News Guru

Nvidia's RTX 2060 could release with six variants

And you thought that that GTX 1060 was a confusing SKU.

Read more about Nvidia's rumoured RTX 2060 SKUs.

Old 26-12-18, 11:55 AM
OC3D Elite

They should merge those 3 and 4gb models for a single 3.5GB card, huehue.
Old 26-12-18, 01:41 PM
OC3D Crew

Well, the most logical bus width config for this would be (6/4/3)GB : (192/128/96)bits (Given a full TU106 die has 256-bits feeding 8GB total memory)
Technically even a tiny 96-bit bus when paired with GDDR6 memory can still achieve greater bandwidth than a GTX1060 if the 3GB part is meant to be ultra budget.

That, or there's more dies at play here, and the 2060 6/4 or 6/3 are TU106 while the remaining part is TU116 or even GP106, or those parts are seperated by their G5 and G6 variants.

Either way, this is clearly an attempt at cramming as much inventory as they can under their most popular branding tier to sell off ageing stocks with disregard for the confusion it creates, or possibly even a desire for it.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 26-12-18, 03:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
They should merge those 3 and 4gb models for a single 3.5GB card, huehue.
I think they will be doing that soon, it's called the RTX2970

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 26-12-18, 06:45 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I'm calling BS on this.

The GDDR5 modles will if anything be OEM stuff at a cheaper price point.
Old 28-12-18, 12:02 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm calling BS on this.

The GDDR5 modles will if anything be OEM stuff at a cheaper price point.
Yeah, it's quite possible this rumoured segmentation thing is not going to be, 'search OCUK, click on RTX 2060's in the GPU menu, see loads of different variants, get confused'. I think some will be for specific markets while only one or two will be for general consumer PC gamers and system builders.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 28-12-18, 12:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Most of the 1060s were custom. IE, Nvidia supplies loads of cores and that's it, the rest is down to the mfgr. There are certain cards where Nvidia puts their foot down and says no (like the Titan series, never had one of those on a custom PCB and never large stickers etc) but yeah, with the cheaper cards they probably buy trays upon trays of just dies.

Old 28-12-18, 01:03 PM
OC3D Crew

NVidia does a hell of a lot of bullying & dictating when it comes to AIB partners, if you don't play by their rules, you don't get new hardware, even if those rules are the forced purchase of remaining excess inventory of older generation cards if you want to get hold of the new generation cards(One step from NVidia basically forcing AIBs to pay off NVidia's debts).

Their SKUs are generally quite stringently defined even down to the XX30-XX50 tiers because of how much crossover and how little spacing there is on the low end parts, it's not uncommon for 30-50 tier parts to have SKU's not just spanning memory architectures, but GPU architectures, being sold under the same name(I believe technically Kepler or Maxwell was still alive in some low end 1000 series parts). Sure, AIB's can do whatever they want with cooling or PCBs (Providing they're not getting them reference from NVidia suppliers), but the chips, memory configs and even pricing & supply in some markets are usually pretty tightly controlled.

I don't think all 6 SKUs are meant for one market here, I think the XX50 tier(Usually quite large in terms of number of SKUs) has been merged into the 2060 branding with some clear price & config segregation beyond memory setup, while some variants are for OEMs or China, given they've already said they won't be making a 2050 card.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: http://ehenleyshutters.com/novo-in-black/
[It's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 28-12-18, 01:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
NVidia does a hell of a lot of bullying & dictating when it comes to AIB partners, if you don't play by their rules, you don't get new hardware, even if those rules are the forced purchase of remaining excess inventory of older generation cards if you want to get hold of the new generation cards(One step from NVidia basically forcing AIBs to pay off NVidia's debts).
That is why a couple of the GPU mfgrs no longer sell Nvidia. XFX used to, but when Nvidia left them with nothing to sell for 7 months* they nearly went out of business.

*I refer, of course, to Fermi. Basically Nvidia sent all of the 2 series EOL and shipped nothing to their partners. XFX, BFG (who died because of it**) EVGA and so on. They literally had no stock to sell for nearly 7 months. Then when Nvidia do finally return? they start selling the 460 directly. God, what a punch to the guts that must have been for their partners. Like, probably the best 4 series card and they don't even get a fair shout.

** There were many factors to BFG dying. Generosity was one (the lifetime warranty.. Couple that with the high failure rates of the 200 series as they were so hot and you get = not good) and also for 7 months all they were doing was literallly 200 series RMA. I know, because I sent in a 8800GT to them for RMA and they actually sent me back a crusty used card. That is not BFG. I mean, in 2004 or so (whenever the 5900 released) I sent one back and they send me a 6000 series card much better than what I had. But yeah, nearly 7 months sitting around waiting for Nvidia.

That was when XFX bailed and went solely to ATI. Can't say I blame them really. It was probably only their crap warranty that kept them in business.

Old 28-12-18, 04:45 PM
OC3D Elite

I wouldn't be surprised if bulk of the low memory cards are meant for esports cafes in China.