Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-12-18, 04:55 PM
News Guru

Developers delay or cancel Steam releases to bring their PC games to the Epic Store

The Steam release of Satisfactory has been cancelled.

Read more about the developers who are delaying or cancelling their Steam releases to move to the Epic Games Store.

Old 10-12-18, 08:42 PM

Better revenues is nice and all, but that's a lot of weight on Fortnite's shoulders.

This is not only happening because of the lower profit cut from Epic but definitely because of the traffic they get because of Fortnite. That being said, expecting the traffic Epic gets from Fortnite for a free game and mostly "kids", to be interested AND pay for a plethora of game could potentially not be as profitable as if on steam, even with the increased profits.
Old 10-12-18, 08:51 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDee View Post
Better revenues is nice and all, but that's a lot of weight on Fortnite's shoulders.

This is not only happening because of the lower profit cut from Epic but definitely because of the traffic they get because of Fortnite. That being said, expecting the traffic Epic gets from Fortnite for a free game and mostly "kids", to be interested AND pay for a plethora of game could potentially not be as profitable as if on steam, even with the increased profits.
Yeah, Epic Games needs a big non-fortnite audience to succeed here. The free games giveaways and stuff will help in the short term, but in the long term, Epic wants to tightly curate the games on their platforms, which means that most games on the store will be good.

TBH it sounds a lot like what Steam was before Greenlight, and before countless games released on the platform yearly. Games on the Epic store should be a lot more discoverable than Steam. That's a big deal for smaller developers.
Old 10-12-18, 09:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Give steam it's due though it's been out 15-16 years so is bound to be full of games at this point.
I'm interested in how epic do refunds, a vet what games go on especially once they start getting as big as steam
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 10-12-18, 09:36 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
Give steam it's due though it's been out 15-16 years so is bound to be full of games at this point.
I'm interested in how epic do refunds, a vet what games go on especially once they start getting as big as steam
Steam's library is no doubt a huge asset, but what I am getting at is that 20 games (just new games, not including DLC and free stuff) have released on Steam today alone.

With Epic's Store being curated, games will stay on their "new releases" (or equivalent) page for longer, giving new games more visibility. It's hard for small developers to get any visibility on Steam anymore.
Old 10-12-18, 09:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Steam's library is no doubt a huge asset, but what I am getting at is that 20 games (just new games, not including DLC and free stuff) have released on Steam today alone.

With Epic's Store being curated, games will stay on their "new releases" (or equivalent) page for longer, giving new games more visibility. It's hard for small developers to get any visibility on Steam anymore.
I understand that but I wonder if the launcher does take off will it not be in the same situation in a few years, I'm all for small developers I have too many hours in Factorio and KSP not to be
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 10-12-18, 11:24 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I understand that but I wonder if the launcher does take off will it not be in the same situation in a few years, I'm all for small developers I have too many hours in Factorio and KSP not to be
That's the question, will they stay true to their vision and keep their storefront curated. Perhaps they will become like Steam after a while, it's hard to know. There is also the fact that some great indie games will go unnoticed by Epic Games.
Old 11-12-18, 08:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post

Its this reason that I hate steam. Its so bloated with crap now. It drowns out potential good games with 20 POS. You can't browse through genres for example without going through pages and pages of drab content thrown on there for quick cash grabs.

I can't even trust the user reviews anymore since many are just troll bait comments trying to trigger others.
Old 11-12-18, 05:23 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Its this reason that I hate steam. Its so bloated with crap now. It drowns out potential good games with 20 POS. You can't browse through genres for example without going through pages and pages of drab content thrown on there for quick cash grabs.

I can't even trust the user reviews anymore since many are just troll bait comments trying to trigger others.
I got no idea what you are all on about. the new Hentai weed puzzle game dropped yesterday..... only top releases on steam