Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-12-18, 12:44 PM
News Guru

AMD Radeon RX 3000 Series Navi GPU Specs Leaked

The AMD RX 3000 series vs the Nvidia RTX 2000 series?

Read more about AMD's leaked Navi specifications.

Old 05-12-18, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

I am probably not alone in thinking that this sounds too good to be true.
Old 05-12-18, 01:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Mining = dead, prices = Polaris launch prices.

Again hard to believe, but hey you never know. If they are small diamond shaped dies they'll cost peanuts.

Old 05-12-18, 01:34 PM
Resident Newb

If the top end card is only 15% faster than a Vega 64 I really hope AMD have a high end offering up their sleeves.
Old 05-12-18, 01:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
If the top end card is only 15% faster than a Vega 64 I really hope AMD have a high end offering up their sleeves.
Not yet they don't and if they know what's good for them they won't bother.

Polaris was awesome, and their savings were passed on to the customer. If Navi is more of the same at Vega performance they need to do nothing more, IMO.

Fury was a fail, Vega is a fail and both were a complete waste of money IMO. AMD are much better off making bread and butter cards like Polaris IMO. I can't see them competing at the top end again tbh, not if they know what's good for them.

They can't go on risking big fat old power hogs like Vega. They cost loads to develop, loads to make and usually end up far too expensive. The 56 should cost far less than it does, but big and fat and HBM make it unnecessarily expensive for the performance out.

If they can get anywhere near 1080 performance it's a major win.

Old 05-12-18, 01:46 PM
OC3D Elite

It’s only a matter of time before AMD adopt the infinity fabric process from their CPUs on their GPUs, once they shrink the GPU die small enough to fit multiple dies on a substrate like their Ryzen CPUs and bring the manufacturing costs way down.
Old 05-12-18, 02:00 PM

Yep, I think we're past the days of AMD creating monolithic dies, at least for a little while, 7nm really isn't suited for it atm. I'd say it's now more likely AMD's top end chip will still build on the use of interposer's & HBM from Fury & Vega but those interposers will now hold a couple of Navi 10 dies rather than a scaled up die as they did with Hawaii or Fury. It'd bring the same economies of scale benefits to their Radeon line as it has to Ryzen & TR & Epyc if they can also unify each generation around a couple of small dies. Presumably the Navi 12 chip will also be shared with Ryzen G parts. This would also help explain the adoption of PCIe4.0, as IF uses the same physical links so presumably has had a similar bump in speed with it.
Old 05-12-18, 02:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davva2004 View Post
It’s only a matter of time before AMD adopt the infinity fabric process from their CPUs on their GPUs, once they shrink the GPU die small enough to fit multiple dies on a substrate like their Ryzen CPUs and bring the manufacturing costs way down.
Yup. What we still have yet to find out is what exactly AMD meant by "Scaleable" when they touted Navi ages ago. What if, for example, adding more than one card links up the cards and basically doubles the size of the GPU? I mean yeah, it would create some latency but it's got to work better than what we have now.

IDK, I just think AMD are best suited to making value products, not class leading ones. Ryzen is still quite far behind Intel yet they are selling two to every one Intel sells.

I'm also going to stick my neck right out on this and say that AMD are not a greedy company. I've never, ever felt that vibe coming from them. They always have to offer basically twice what Intel and Nvidia do for half of the cash for people to even usually consider them, that is how hard it is being AMD. It's all about mindshare, and them having to literally offer you something you would be an utter fool to pass up.

They are still releasing fully unlocked CPUs across the board at great prices and we are even getting little Easter eggs like the recent Athlon that you can't overclock only you can. Intel never ever allow that. I mean god, could you imagine if one of their partners released a board that unlocked Xeons? lmfao, the pimp hand would be swift !

So yeah, products we need please AMD not want. At least then we have a choice.

Old 05-12-18, 02:34 PM
Bettyswollocks

AMD hijacking NVIDIAs next designations is Epyc! "RX 3080" (your move NVIDIA RTX 3080) almost as amusing as the i3, i5 and i7 punning with Ry 3, Ry 5 & Ry 7s.

The next law suits I foresee will be likeness rights and product naming.
Old 05-12-18, 04:01 PM
OC3D Elite

It is good to see GDDR6 in the specs.

HBM has cost both AMD and the end user a lot of money for little benefit.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.