Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 20-11-18, 06:29 PM
News Guru

Hitman 2 PC Performance Review

A high-quality port, or a PC game that is in dire need of extra polish?

Read more about Hitman 2's PC Performance.

Old 20-11-18, 06:43 PM
OC3D Elite

hahaha that pic is hilarious you've got Intel shooting AMD, then Nvidia throwing AMD over the banister. hahahaha !!

Old 20-11-18, 06:46 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
hahaha that pic is hilarious you've got Intel shooting AMD, then Nvidia throwing AMD over the banister. hahahaha !!
It's good to have fun with the images.

Apologies for how late this one is peeps, I was unwell last week so things got a little delayed.
Old 20-11-18, 06:58 PM

Your testresults are quiet unusual, just take a look around. For example Setve from hw undboxed got his vega 56 infront of a 1070ti, yes thats a bit high but way more in line than what you got. I would strongly suggest you to look at your testsetup. Your test is the only one with such a massive deficite for AMD. Also those childish pictures leave a untrustworthy tast behind.
Old 20-11-18, 07:32 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBC2033 View Post
Your testresults are quiet unusual, just take a look around. For example Setve from hw undboxed got his vega 56 infront of a 1070ti, yes thats a bit high but way more in line than what you got. I would strongly suggest you to look at your testsetup. Your test is the only one with such a massive deficite for AMD. Also those childish pictures leave a untrustworthy tast behind.
I will have a look the HW Unboxed's findings and see how his test location compares to the one that we used.

We use a location that is much later in the game and represents some of the worst performance that the game can offer. I will look at the game again to see if anything changes, but each graphics card has a clean driver install, so it isn't that.

The mission HW unboxed used appears to be one of the lesser demanding areas, but I will report back when I look into things a little more.
Old 21-11-18, 02:07 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBC2033 View Post
It all depends on the mission. Reviews have never been apples to apples even with the same hardware. Not sure why you expect anything else?

As for the pictures they are so irrelevant that to assume it makes an article untrustworthy is to me quite childish that it bothers someone. I only mention this because you come off as an AMD guy who is upset the vega 56 and the cover article photo both show AMD falling behind. I mean we already know a Vega 56 is slower than a 1070ti, so I again don't know why you expect anything else mate?

Food for thought, maybe Steve's results are a bit off and not WYPs? I would be more suspect a 1070ti lost a Vega 56 than anything.
Not attacking you. Just curious as to why you think the review was bad when it honestly is one of the very few performance reviews on the internet that I found. I looked around as you suggested and found just this article. Nothing else comparing really anything(outside of consoles from Digital Foundry).
Old 21-11-18, 06:36 AM

Appropriate scene ?

First of all, I always do appreciate your reviews and analyzes. Your are my favorite tech website so far.
But if i regret that you have choosen one of the most demanding scene to benchmark hitman 2. At the end of the day this benchmark doesn't reflect the real experience that we get, playing the all game.
I don't have reach yet the scene of your benchmark. But since the beginning i play easely 1440p ultra 60 fps vsync ON with a vega 64. I precise that i really don't care who is the best between Nvidia or Amd and it is not the point of my comment.

With all the respect i have for your work, i think the Hardware Unboxed's hitman 2 benchmark, seems to be more revelant for the final consumers whatever the gpu they own.

A benchmark must show the average gaming experience throughout the game. In my humble opinion, the scene you have choosen is not the most appropriate for that.
Thanks for attention and your hard work.
Old 21-11-18, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Games like Hitman where each level is its own little world are quite rare these days. Perhaps each level should be benchmarked separately.

But if you're going to benchmark only one level, then I think it should be the one that requires the most amount of horsepower. That will give people the worst case scenario, which is more useful IMHO. I remember when The Witcher 3 was released and most benchmarks focused on the starting area, which didn't even seem to require more than 4gb of RAM. Things change drastically once you leave White Orchard and reach Velen. Then they change even further once you reach Novigrad.
Old 21-11-18, 10:29 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardeon View Post
First of all, I always do appreciate your reviews and analyzes. Your are my favorite tech website so far.
But if i regret that you have choosen one of the most demanding scene to benchmark hitman 2. At the end of the day this benchmark doesn't reflect the real experience that we get, playing the all game.
I don't have reach yet the scene of your benchmark. But since the beginning i play easely 1440p ultra 60 fps vsync ON with a vega 64. I precise that i really don't care who is the best between Nvidia or Amd and it is not the point of my comment.

With all the respect i have for your work, i think the Hardware Unboxed's hitman 2 benchmark, seems to be more revelant for the final consumers whatever the gpu they own.

A benchmark must show the average gaming experience throughout the game. In my humble opinion, the scene you have choosen is not the most appropriate for that.
Thanks for attention and your hard work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
Games like Hitman where each level is its own little world are quite rare these days. Perhaps each level should be benchmarked separately.

But if you're going to benchmark only one level, then I think it should be the one that requires the most amount of horsepower. That will give people the worst case scenario, which is more useful IMHO. I remember when The Witcher 3 was released and most benchmarks focused on the starting area, which didn't even seem to require more than 4gb of RAM. Things change drastically once you leave White Orchard and reach Velen. Then they change even further once you reach Novigrad.
This is a big problem amongst PC performance analysis pieces, as many of them are based on the performance of a game's opening area, 1st or second mission and are often in an area where things are not as complex or demanding as late game areas. For Battlefield V I played through every war story before testing, just to make sure I selected a good testing area that represented general performance and locations with performance dips.

A prime example of this is Assassin's Creed: Origins or Odyssey, as CPU loads will hit their peak in large towns on cityscapes whereas other locations are more representative of general gameplay. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, we also see much higher demands on CPUs than in the game's benchmark, which is why gameplay is always preferable for benchmarking. Scenarios matter.

When I do my work I play the game for a few hours to get a feel for how it works. With Hitman 2 the issue is that each level is almost a came within itself, so selecting a location can often be tricky. My rule of thumb on the GPU side is to go for an area that is firstly repeatable and has limited variation and represents the game in a location that is reasonably representative of high loads. Note that this is often not the worst that the game has to offer, but acts as a "it if stays over 60 here, it will stay over 60 pretty much anywhere".

As a developer, IO Interactive appears to take criticisms well, and release a lot of patches and content updates for their recent games. Patch 2.11 already addresses our complaints about CPU-related settings options, which means that I have some work to do retesting this game and updating the CPU aspects of this review.
Old 21-11-18, 02:43 PM
OC3D Elite

I think it's proper to test GPU's on a games most demanding sections. There are sections in Crysis 3 that my old 290x could get 80-100 fps at max settings... Then there were entire sections where it would be in the 40's.

I would rather a review show me the worst case scenario. If a review shows me I can get 60 fps with a 1070 at 1440, if it's tested in the most demanding sections then I know that I can expect 60 fps anywhere in that game. If the review is based on an easy section then I'm gonna find myself pausing the game in order to change settings cause I'm crawling thru at 30 fps in the most demanding parts of the game.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• BenQ XL2720Z @ 1080
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Razer DeathAdder Elite