Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-11-18, 11:23 PM
News Guru

Sony quietly releases a new PS4 Pro revision, with lower noise levels under load

It also runs a little hotter.

Read more about Sony's new quiet PS4 Pro revision.

Old 09-11-18, 12:49 AM
AMD Enthusiast

As an owner of the original Pro model I would gladly trade running temperatures for more quietness. It's not noticeable during games(using speakers) as it is currently but if you lose get distracted you'll definitely hear it. Kinda like you tune the noise out. Heck with no audio playing through headphones I can hear it loud and clear.. and they are closed headphones
Old 09-11-18, 01:15 PM

This is not a good idea. The Pro runs hot enough as it is....and currently it is NOT LOUD AT ALL.

At least my PS4 Pro doesn't. Heck even the much better and powerful Xbox One X that is sitting right beside it doesn't get that warm or loud.
Old 09-11-18, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
This is not a good idea. The Pro runs hot enough as it is....and currently it is NOT LOUD AT ALL.

At least my PS4 Pro doesn't. Heck even the much better and powerful Xbox One X that is sitting right beside it doesn't get that warm or loud.
I think it all really depends on how far or close it is to you as the player and your hearing perception.

For me? My Xbox X is about... 5 feet away on my tv stand (I sit close as my eyesight sucks and even on my 50 inch tv it can be hard to see things if I am farther away) and I can hear the fans a little bit under load while playing Red Dead 2.

I move myself back to 10 or 11 feet away and I hear nothing from the system over the game noise from my soundbar setup. With headphones on? I hear absolutely none of it even if I am right next to it, because between the game sounds and party chat I don't have the mindset to think "Are the fans running high? I don't care! let me go shoot this bear!".

Not arguing or anything simply stating it is all a matter of distance to the console.

Heck my old PS3 was the launch console and that fan is loud and I still don't hear that unless I'm within a couple feet of it yet my brother can hear it outside the room since his hearing is better then mine.
Old 09-11-18, 04:13 PM

There were 2 PS4 Pro models before this one with the latter being quieter & hotter than the original but not as quiet and slightly warmer than this one, so you may have the rev 2 model Digikid.

Personally I found no console comes close to being as quiet as an Xbox One X (it would make our launch model PS4 sound like a jet liner and you'd have to re-adjust the TV volume to drown the fans out again if you wanted to use both in the same room after only using the X), though that's too be expected given its exotic cooling solution and relatively low power consumption for its specs. Our base OG Xbox One sat somewhere in between with the S coming in a little louder than the X.

But yeah, it mostly depends on your room & audio setup as to whether it's likely to be a pain.
Old 09-11-18, 05:04 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:

After about a year all consoles get very loud this generation. Having had all of them and having my friends all tell me the same thing.
Old 10-11-18, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
After about a year all consoles get very loud this generation. Having had all of them and having my friends all tell me the same thing.
Yet my experience differs and that is all that matters to me.

Perhaps they need to start cleaning the dust in their homes more.
Old 11-11-18, 08:03 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Yet my experience differs and that is all that matters to me.

Perhaps they need to start cleaning the dust in their homes more.
Nah not a dust problem. Can rip em apart and they are more clean after 3 years than my PC after 1 week. I can confirm 17 people right now with all the same noise problem on any console after 1 year. So you got lucky or your region gets a different SKU that's just better/newer
Old 11-11-18, 05:21 PM

Assuming it's not just HDD or ODD noises(Some models can get really noisey with age & knocks but less so this gen), then the only reason the noise of the fans would increase consistently is if either the thermal efficiency of the cooler has decreased or the efficiency of an internal PSU has notably decreased. On consoles only a year old it's much much more likely to be the former and that's most likely to be caused by dust build up somewhere. The latter obviously doesn't apply to the OG Xbone and would likely only be noticeable this early on with a 110V input. With a compact design like the PS4 with many of the hot bits crammed in the middle these issues could obviously compound each other.

Of course, that's all assuming your friends aren't just finding more demanding games or playing the consoles for much longer after a bit.
Old 12-11-18, 09:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Nah not a dust problem. Can rip em apart and they are more clean after 3 years than my PC after 1 week. I can confirm 17 people right now with all the same noise problem on any console after 1 year. So you got lucky or your region gets a different SKU that's just better/newer
Maybe it comes down to wear and tear. Those who are console gamers and regularly use their machine will experience louder noises over a short time span from new than someone who occassionally hops on and plays.

But yes, im quite surprised how quiet the XBX is compared to a PS4 pro. Wouldnt have bought one had I not had the deal of the year, but i dont regret it for sure.