Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-11-18, 12:24 PM
News Guru

Nvidia's RTX Founders Edition Coolers Support RGB - Nvidia Locks Out Feature

Why would Nvidia disable this feature?

Read more about Nvidia's RTX Founders Edition Graphics Cards containing latent/hidden RGB support.

Old 05-11-18, 12:40 PM
OC3D Elite

probably colours are not accurate to software or something like that, which would be a joke given its cost.
Old 05-11-18, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Nope I bet Jen saw it in red and just couldn't live with himself.

Old 05-11-18, 12:48 PM
OC3D Crew

Better to release a fully working product at this price point. I mean slightly off colours for a 1200 quid card! what next over heating RAM modules....
Old 05-11-18, 01:24 PM

This doesn't really imply NVidia ever intended to provide RGB options. Sometimes using 4-pin RGB LED(s) at a design level is just a cheaper or easier way to ensure you can get a specific colour you want on your end product. Especially from a designers perspective, where at the "drawing board" you don't necessary know what shade(s) you want or how it/they'll work with the fogged LED covers and their surrounding(Which is exasperated much greater when these designs are going off to some random OEM for manufacturing of the shells bits and pieces), this can skip some prototyping and leave some of the less important concerns till deep into manufacturing to deal with.
Old 05-11-18, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
This doesn't really imply NVidia ever intended to provide RGB options. Sometimes using 4-pin RGB LED(s) at a design level is just a cheaper or easier way to ensure you can get a specific colour you want on your end product. Especially from a designers perspective, where at the "drawing board" you don't necessary know what shade(s) you want or how it/they'll work with the fogged LED covers and their surrounding(Which is exasperated much greater when these designs are going off to some random OEM for manufacturing of the shells bits and pieces), this can skip some prototyping and leave some of the less important concerns till deep into manufacturing to deal with.
Makes sense I know when GN striped a founders down the rgb control pcb is fitted under the plate between the two fan, and it would be easier to tune that to get the shade of green they wanted/required
Old 05-11-18, 01:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Somewhat agree with this. On a prototype level agreed, but surely when it comes to the ordering of the parts if they never wanted any other colours it would have been cheaper to buy several million single coloured leds with the exact colour you wanted apposed to rgb ones as well as integrating the rgb connection on the pcb?
Old 05-11-18, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

If you watch the cooler tear down that Gamers Nexus did, you can see all the electronics underneath the black plate between the fans which control the lighting. Now we know what it was for!
Old 05-11-18, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
Somewhat agree with this. On a prototype level agreed, but surely when it comes to the ordering of the parts if they never wanted any other colours it would have been cheaper to buy several million single coloured leds with the exact colour you wanted apposed to rgb ones as well as integrating the rgb connection on the pcb?
They can't really just buy off-the-shelf "NVidia green" LEDs unfortunately. In order to to get the specific shade of green they required (Colour schemes/palettes are a massive part of brand recognition and identity) they'd usually use brighter white LED with a translucent green cover above it(White LEDs often still arn't quite as cheap as their much older roughly-single-wavelength brethren, especially if you're having to use brighter models due to the extra light filtered out by the translucent shading).
The difference in upfront cost between a 2-pin LED and a 4-pin RGB LED, as well as wiring them, is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things (When you're bulk buying LEDs you're usually talking in the region of low double digit pence per unit).

The gaming portion of this launch certainly seemed fairly rushed(Given the card was launch with half its silicon basically dead) so it wouldn't surprise me if the founder's edition cooler for this had a pretty short prototyping to manufacture window(You'd be surprised at how common it is now to leave the fine tuning of elements of a product until manufacturing has already begun to drastically shorten the overall development cycle).

Also, given that AIBs seemingly already requested RGB support on the reference PCB for their custom coolers, the work was seemingly already done for the most part. Even if they did consider originally allowing the RGB element to be user controlled but didn't like how the shading turned out, it still implies they never really made a prototype cooler.
Old 05-11-18, 02:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Looking at the FE cooler? there is some serious over-engineering going on there. TBH? that is the most impressive part of the launch to me. Not overly on the looks, but the design that has gone into it. It kinda reminds me of Homer Simpson's car design. And I know that doesn't come cheap.. Seriously, it's like a super car. Some really hi-tech gadgetry going on.

You could be right TG, they could have done it simply to experiment with shades of green. The rest of the cooler is pretty anal, so that would make sense.

Ed. I did predict Nvidia would stop using blowers ages ago, for this gen. The blower on my XP could just about make it behave at stock. Overclocking? it got loud and hot, fast. So anything more than that needed a new cooler.

I wouldn't surmise they rushed the cooler. Not looking at it.