Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 29-10-18, 01:57 PM
The Guvnor

AMD Ryzen 2nd Generation Threadripper 2920X and 2970WX Review

If the 2nd Generation of Ryzen Threadripper CPUs piqued your interest but you wanted more cores, or fewer, then the 2920X and 2970WX should be on your shortlist.

Threadripper 2920X and 2970WX Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 29-10-18, 02:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Tom not sure if it's just me or not but the video seems like it has some weird graphical issues like, a sharpness filter is on max and not working correctly and then the background having a few issues as well?

It's like the background is wobbling it's pretty weird to be honest, doesn't look like your normal quality of videos.

Either way I know my next upgrade is going to be on my render machine and it will be a threadripper, but still not sure if it will be 1st gen or 2nd gen threadripper.
Old 29-10-18, 02:55 PM
Bettyswollocks

Not seeing it on my end, quality is as normal as any other video.

I'm actually quite tempted to go down the Thread ripper route for my next build.
Old 29-10-18, 03:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

I'm actually quite tempted to go down the Thread ripper route for my next build.
The boards are a little cheaper now, which was what made it easy for me to stick with X99 last upgrade.

Still no reason for me to upgrade here though. Well, it would be nice, but the cost is just far too high to make any sorta sense. Thing is, I took a risk on a 14 core CPU but looking around a bit? it's kinda starting to pay off. I just checked the specs for FO76 and you need quad core min with QC+HT recc. So we are heading in the right direction.

Old 29-10-18, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

Strange will look at it later and see if it's because I was downloading although that normally doesn't affect it.
Old 29-10-18, 04:52 PM

Temperature testing

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to start out with saying that I generally enjoy the content here and I value the reviews you guys do, but I was wondering what the reasoning behind having a graph dedicated to comparing temperatures of various CPUs when the test setup isn't kept identical?

As far as I can tell then only the results for 2950X, 2990WX, 2920x and 2970WX are from using the Coolermaster ML360 RGB TR4 AIO Cooler, whereas the i7-6700k used the Corsair H110i GTX and all other CPUs used the Corsair H110i GT.

In your review of the 2950X and 2990WX you explain the decision for using the coolermaster cooler with: "we're using the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB TR4 for our overclocking tests as there is no chance of keeping these monsters under control when overclocked using an air cooler.", but all other CPUs you compare with were already tested with an AIO, just 280mm instead of 360mm so that seems like an odd justification for changing from your regular setup.

So to go on and conclude that "The days of toasty AMD CPUs are long behind us and the Threadrippers, even with their enormous core counts, still remain cool under pressure." seems odd when you're specifically testing the threadripper CPUs with a beefier cooler than all others you compare it to.

If you didn't feel that your regular cooler, the Corsair H110i GT, would do a good enough job or you had other reasons for testing with the Coolermaster ML360 RGB TR4 then that's fine, but my point is just that the results shouldn't be in the same graph together when they aren't comparable.
Old 29-10-18, 05:38 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffenKatzen View Post
Hi Tom,

I just wanted to start out with saying that I generally enjoy the content here and I value the reviews you guys do, but I was wondering what the reasoning behind having a graph dedicated to comparing temperatures of various CPUs when the test setup isn't kept identical?

As far as I can tell then only the results for 2950X, 2990WX, 2920x and 2970WX are from using the Coolermaster ML360 RGB TR4 AIO Cooler, whereas the i7-6700k used the Corsair H110i GTX and all other CPUs used the Corsair H110i GT.

In your review of the 2950X and 2990WX you explain the decision for using the coolermaster cooler with: "we're using the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB TR4 for our overclocking tests as there is no chance of keeping these monsters under control when overclocked using an air cooler.", but all other CPUs you compare with were already tested with an AIO, just 280mm instead of 360mm so that seems like an odd justification for changing from your regular setup.

So to go on and conclude that "The days of toasty AMD CPUs are long behind us and the Threadrippers, even with their enormous core counts, still remain cool under pressure." seems odd when you're specifically testing the threadripper CPUs with a beefier cooler than all others you compare it to.

If you didn't feel that your regular cooler, the Corsair H110i GT, would do a good enough job or you had other reasons for testing with the Coolermaster ML360 RGB TR4 then that's fine, but my point is just that the results shouldn't be in the same graph together when they aren't comparable.
TBH fella, with Threadripper you really need to be using a proper TR4 optimised cooler. Yes, standard Asetek mount coolers can work, but only proper TR4 coolers cover the full IHS and offer peak cooling efficiency.

As far as I am aware, Corsair doesn't even make any bespoke TR4 coolers, so apples-to-apples comparisons are impossible.
Old 29-10-18, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
TBH fella, with Threadripper you really need to be using a proper TR4 optimised cooler. Yes, standard Asetek mount coolers can work, but only proper TR4 coolers cover the full IHS and offer peak cooling efficiency.

As far as I am aware, Corsair doesn't even make any bespoke TR4 coolers, so apples-to-apples comparisons are impossible.
If you agree with me that an apples-to-apples comparison isn't possible, then you must agree with me that the results should be in separate graphs instead of clumped together in one then?
Old 29-10-18, 06:00 PM
OC3D Elite

From what I recall there are only two AIOs designed specifically for TR4. The Cooler Master and an Enermax. They are both 360s.

Old 29-10-18, 06:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffenKatzen View Post
If you agree with me that an apples-to-apples comparison isn't possible, then you must agree with me that the results should be in separate graphs instead of clumped together in one then?
Not necessarily. The 6700k you referenced in your example doesn't produce anywhere near the heat level that these TR CPUs do, obviously. It's not an apples to apples comparison from the start, since you're comparing a desktop CPU to a 'workstation' CPU (for lack of better phrasing). The only question you need to ask is "during testing, was there thermal throttling". Using the same cooler for every CPU would be silly, especially these days, during the "core explosion" era.